iMessage complimentary on the Fantasy this past week

I’m getting off the fantasy on Sunday. I paid the $89. Then I noticed that my both of my in-laws who don’t speak English, in another cabin, had free internet all week. My wife checks her phone, and she has free internet also. Not just iMessage... Only two devices connected to my 1gb account, my laptop and cellphone.
There was a "leak" last week. Everyone on the ship had full access to the internet. You might have noticed that it went away for most people by Saturday.

We just got off the Fantasy. About midway through the week, I started getting emails without logging into my data plan. I didn’t really try to send any though. Same thing for my husband on his wi-if only iPad (but not his android). IMessage worked great all week.

Here’s the thing for me - while cruising, I am totally checked out. I don’t want to receive texts from anyone not in my sailing party. No friends from my fantasy football league. No co-workers asking me a “really quick question”. No reminders that my car is due for an oil change. So while iMessage is great, it’s a double-edged sword for me while sailing.

For those who have sailed since free iMessage rolled out, have any of you tried using the DCL chat feature?

By opening up free iMessage, and the iOS whatzamajiggy (notification API?), I am wondering if the DCL chat feature works any better - i.e., messages delivered reliably and promptly, and without requiring the app to be surfaced?

I was able to iMessage on the Magic in the Mediterranean the week of June 22. I was not able to get or receive photos or calls. It was not advertised. I also got messages from Facebook Messenger...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter