Inaugural Disney Wine&Dine**1/2 Marathon** Post Race Discussion!

What were the discounts on the Bounceback offer?

We are going in March for the Royal Family 5K and I hope the Bounceback will still be available for the Mickey Halloween 5K so we can return in October.

DH and I are seriously considering this race. Nice to know about the resorts that will provide transportation.

I really really want to do this race but I am not sure if it will be in the cards. I am going to track the capacity and if I can find a great flight price along with a cheap hotel (or people to split a room with) I will sign up. If not I will save the money and keep it for the WDW full in 2011 which I am pretty much a definite for.

What were the discounts on the Bounceback offer?

We are going in March for the Royal Family 5K and I hope the Bounceback will still be available for the Mickey Halloween 5K so we can return in October.

The card I had in my room at BCV said up to 40% for Deluxe and up to 45% for Villas. The discount was good for other room categories, not quite as much. I ended up booking PO-FQ. Looks like about a 30% or so. The offer seems to be good for an awful lot of dates this year--including from July 5 to November 23--so the odds are good that you may see something.

Maura

Hi everyone! I will be doing the relay with a friend. We are not sure who will be doing the 8 miles, and who will do the 5.1 miles yet. I have a long way to go before I will be ready for this race. I tore my Achilles Tendon last month at WDW.
I'm not sure where I will be saying just yet. Me and another friend (he will be doing the 1/2 marathon) are thinking of renting points at the Beach Club. We want to be close to Epcot since the after party lasts till 3AM.

Hey Frank come join us! Todd is doing the 1/2 marathon. Don't you want to party in Epcot with us again? :goodvibes

Thanks Maura. That will give me an idea on room rates for that time and help with budgeting.

Hey Frank come join us! Todd is doing the 1/2 marathon. Don't you want to party in Epcot with us again? :goodvibes

Oh yeah, any time Todd is around it is an adventure. I haven't ruled it out completely but I am trying to be realistic. I am hoping to find a way to do it but it will depend on circumstances between now and early summer.

Hi guys! I'm new to the WISH boards but not new to the DIS! :0)

I just returned from the 2010 Marathon weekend...I ran the half with a friend. We decided to run the Wine and Dine also and I'm SO excited. I booked a bounceback offer, too...lol

I was thinking of walking the 5K in the a.m. and resting all day, then doing the half that night. I see others are thinking the same....makes me feel a little better about my idea! lol

Hi guys! I'm new to the WISH boards but not new to the DIS! :0)

I just returned from the 2010 Marathon weekend...I ran the half with a friend. We decided to run the Wine and Dine also and I'm SO excited. I booked a bounceback offer, too...lol

I was thinking of walking the 5K in the a.m. and resting all day, then doing the half that night. I see others are thinking the same....makes me feel a little better about my idea! lol

Hi! I'm new to the WISH boards as well. I'm Todd. I signed up for the 1/2 a couple weeks ago. This will be my first real race and I am excited about it. I am planning on registering for the 5K and making a (really long) day of it.

I just got back from being a spectator for Marathon Weekend. If I had any doubt in my mind before about doing this, it has since been squelched. The adrenaline and excitement were palpable~despite the frigid, wet conditions.

Just checking in to see who has succumbed to the lure of another Disney race! (and maybe meet some new WISH'ers).....

Todd Congrats on signing up for your "first real race". We're neighbors....I'm in Beverly Hills, MI.

kmba00 Also, welcome and congrats.

Anna Where'd you get the Disney countdowns in your sig?

Of course, I haven't signed up for this yet and it is really receiving serious competition from the DLR half (for which I've also booked hotels room! LOL) We'll see you how long I juggle these two. If only I could win one of the Disney Sweepstakes I keep entering. Then I could do them all!

Maura

I'm pretty sure I'm in.

I had a cortisone shot to the left knee in November and all is going well since then. I've ramped up to 20 miles per week on the treadmill (keep in mind, we're in arctic conditions up here for a few more months). Steady progression. But who knows when the cortisone might give out?

I've signed up for the Calgary 10K in late May to get a decent corraling position for the W&D 1/2 in October. Hope I can have a good finish there.

Like many others, I got this wild fantasy of running the 5K fun run in the morning, then running the 1/2 marathon at 10 PM. Why do want to bite so much off?!? Must be the Disney magic! BTW - it appears that the registration for the 5K hasn't opened yet, but it's supposed to this month, right?

oh wow! a night race in october is soooooooo tempting. that's my fav time of year to go to wdw.

So excited I found this thread! I was in WDW marathon weekend and the week after and was so inspired by everyone with their medals! We were going in to the AK the morning of the marathon and watch the runners for a while and I just thought it would be so awesome to do a big race in Disney.

Once upon a time before I had kids about 7 years ago, I considered myself a runner. I've never been fast, but could always maintain at least a 10 minute mile or faster. Since then, I've gained a lot of weight and am in the process of trying to lose weight and get healthy and I would love to really be a runner again. I can currently run only about 3 miles at a time, but I know I should be able to increase that with enough determination. I'm planning on running The Broad Street Run in Philly in May which is 10 miles, and I'm hoping to use that as proof to myself that I can do it. My husband also wants to try to get in shape for the wine and dine 1/2, but he would probably be walking a large chunk of it.

So I have a couple questions, if you all don't mind...

How can you find out how full the race is? I hesistate to sign up for a while since heading down to Disney and running a half marathon are both big commitments. I think ideally I would like to sign up in May after the 10 miler so I can submit my time with registration, but don't want to wait too long and be out of luck.

Also, my husband and I were going to come down without the kids and just stay Saturday-Tuesday. We were thinking fly down Saturday morning, check in to the hotel, go to the expo, rest all early evening in our room, then go to the race. We thought we'd sleep in Sunday and just have a nice dinner at one of the hotels and swim, then spend Monday at the food and wine festival before flying home Tuesday. Is it crazy to fly in Saturday and plan to run that night? Just trying to minimize the time away from the kids and that my husband would have to take off.

Thank you all ahead of time for your thoughts on all this. I am excited at the prospect of doing this race!

Carolyn

So excited I found this thread! I was in WDW marathon weekend and the week after and was so inspired by everyone with their medals! We were going in to the AK the morning of the marathon and watch the runners for a while and I just thought it would be so awesome to do a big race in Disney.

Once upon a time before I had kids about 7 years ago, I considered myself a runner. I've never been fast, but could always maintain at least a 10 minute mile or faster. Since then, I've gained a lot of weight and am in the process of trying to lose weight and get healthy and I would love to really be a runner again. I can currently run only about 3 miles at a time, but I know I should be able to increase that with enough determination. I'm planning on running The Broad Street Run in Philly in May which is 10 miles, and I'm hoping to use that as proof to myself that I can do it. My husband also wants to try to get in shape for the wine and dine 1/2, but he would probably be walking a large chunk of it.

So I have a couple questions, if you all don't mind...

How can you find out how full the race is? I hesistate to sign up for a while since heading down to Disney and running a half marathon are both big commitments. I think ideally I would like to sign up in May after the 10 miler so I can submit my time with registration, but don't want to wait too long and be out of luck.

Also, my husband and I were going to come down without the kids and just stay Saturday-Tuesday. We were thinking fly down Saturday morning, check in to the hotel, go to the expo, rest all early evening in our room, then go to the race. We thought we'd sleep in Sunday and just have a nice dinner at one of the hotels and swim, then spend Monday at the food and wine festival before flying home Tuesday. Is it crazy to fly in Saturday and plan to run that night? Just trying to minimize the time away from the kids and that my husband would have to take off.

Thank you all ahead of time for your thoughts on all this. I am excited at the prospect of doing this race!

Carolyn

HI Carolyn -

I too am doing the Broad Street Run, a friend of mine talked me into it! I am doing the Princess as my first 1/2 :) Just me and a friend and maybe my sister in law, although she pulled her back she may be out all together - Im not giving up on my SIL but it does not look good. So right now its just a girl weekend, fly down Fri and leave Sun after the race.

Just an FYI the Board Street Run is not open for Reg until Feb :) I too will be using the time to move up in corrals, as the princess is my first 1/2 and I will only be 7 months post op from major cervical surgery.

Like you Im married with 4 children (12,10, twins 6) and I have an amazing supportive dh who does not run, he has major knee issues - but if you need to chat or know what plan Im doing let me know (PM me)! Im in south jersey!:goodvibes

I really, really want to do this race, but haven't actually done any running since the RnR Half in Seattle last June! The fact that this one is at night is a huge lure for me. I am not a fan of early mornings, so this race would be perfect.

I just have to figure out how to sneak back to WDW without my kids knowing that's where I am. lol. I told them the next trip there would be the whole family, but that isn't planned until around Christmas.

Guess I'll make a decision in the next month or two. Good to see there will be a few WISHers there. :)

I really, really want to do this race, but haven't actually done any running since the RnR Half in Seattle last June! The fact that this one is at night is a huge lure for me. I am not a fan of early mornings, so this race would be perfect.

I just have to figure out how to sneak back to WDW without my kids knowing that's where I am. lol. I told them the next trip there would be the whole family, but that isn't planned until around Christmas.

Guess I'll make a decision in the next month or two. Good to see there will be a few WISHers there. :)

I know this dilema well. I want to get back down one year again in early December to see the Christmas decorations but I have to have at least some run planned when I get down there. My solution is that one of these years I will head down in early December to do the Holiday Halfathon in Madeira Beach. It is usually the second weekend in Dec so I would get down the day before, do the run, then head to Disney for a couple of days after. If you can't pull off the Wine & Dine but don't want to be completely half marathonless on your family trip it might be a good compromise. There is no way it is as good as running in the parks but sometimes the practical has to take the place of the ideal (boooo!).

I just registered for the wine & Dine half marathon! I am not a runner, the most running I did was my Air Force days in the 80's & 90's. I have been using a half marathon training schedule I found on the Disney site. I am really looking forward to the marathon this fall and it will be a nice motivator to continue training through the summer. I will be looking for tips and motivation from everyone leading up to the event.
Bring on warm weather, so I can run outside instead of the indoor track.
:cool1:

Well, I was just nudged a bit closer to being able to do this race. I just got a room share offer from one of my podcast board friends. That takes care of the cheap room half of my cheap room and airfare equation. I'll keep an eye on the percentage full and make a decision in the spring.

Well, I was just nudged a bit closer to being able to do this race. I just got a room share offer from one of my podcast board friends. That takes care of the cheap room half of my cheap room and airfare equation. I'll keep an eye on the percentage full and make a decision in the spring.

Go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter