Invited to a Shrimp Boil and Told to Bring the Shrimp

I gave you 40 years to watch it, what is the legal mandatory spoiler alert disclaimer timeframe?

AND wow, you probably wouldn't have been at my lowly wedding if you had all that fancy equipment. I was impressed I had headphones I could plug in to my tv while DH was studying ... wired of course.

Look, I can't be expected to watch every TV show that I want to watch within 40 years of it's airing - that's just not realistic. I'm still working through M*A*S*H - I hear they ended it. :confused3

I also probably wouldn't have been at your wedding because I was two. 😏

The shrimp boil is next weekend when Ohio State is at Maryland. She knows better than to invite us to anything on a home game weekend as we have season tickets.

I do believe she did pick an away game as she knew DH would bring whatever she told him to bring:rotfl2:

That's 10/9, right - in good news, ESPN says it's a 12pm game...so she may have planned on that schedule...

Maryland
Terrapins
3-0, 1-0 CONF

10/9
12:00 PM ET

Ohio State
Buckeyes
2-1, 1-0 CONF

No clue on the frozen shrimp. I was just an invitee and we are doing what we are told. Honestly I am not sure if we can really ever get truly fresh shrimp up here that was never frozen.

I only have 14 opportunities of 3 1/2 hours a year to see my beloved Buckeyes. For 49 hours a year I am busy. There are almost 8500 other hours a year you can schedule activities if you want me to be there.

Besides, I never said I would not go over to visit, I just won't consider it until around 7:30. I am sure the party will go on all night.
Yes & it’s not like the NFL! Every single game matters in college football!

Next weekend is at Rutgers - the Maryland game is at home the week after.

And it's weird - according the ESPN, that one still doesn't have a time, so they may be thinking of a prime time event or a 12pm one...

ESPN

Ohio State
Buckeyes
2-1, 1-0 CONF

10/2
TBD

Rutgers
Scarlet Knights
3-0, 0-0 CONF

FWIW, you can get fresh shrimp anywhere, but flying them in won't be cheap!

For our charity boil we send someone down to drive them back in a rental truck; as the air freight for 1,500 lbs is just too high.

The trick to keeping shrimp fresh for road transit is an ice slurry. You put them in a cooler with cold water, then dump a thick layer of ice on top. They will keep up to 3 days at just above freezing. For air freight they pack them in dry ice.

Ridiculous on the part of the host!! Like, if you don't or can't fork out the money, choose a cheaper menu.

If they provide the shrimp/sausage, then it's reasonable to ask people to bring the potatoes, corn, another side, appetizer, dessert. Everyone brings one or 2 things, and its a party.

My first wedding was scheduled about 9 months in advance. About three weeks before the date, we discovered that a possible Game 7 of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals might be scheduled for the same evening. That year featured the local Flyers vs. the Edmonton Oilers.

Thankfully about two weeks prior the NHL announced that a possible Game 7 would be the following evening. The series went to 7 games, and if it had occurred the previous night, I’m sure there would have been no-shows, including my father and ex-husband.

I might have been tempted to skip it myself. ;)

Rutgers actually had a decent record as an Independent in the years prior to me attending and during my first three years. There were some good wins over major opponents like Penn State and Tennessee. But by my senior year they started to suck.

Back in 2006 they started another 4 year stretch of winning records in the Big East.

I don’t think they belong in the Big 28.

It seems odd to me, using frozen shrimp for a shrimp boil. I don't know why you couldn't, I just envision the "real" looking shrimp, with the shells and antennae and all. I also live coastal, and while I'd be perfectly content using frozen shrimp in a regular dish, I've bought the head-on, antennae moving type shrimp from a seafood market. I think it's because when I think of a shrimp or crawfish boil, part of the fun is the big heap of steaming red-shelled delicacies that you pick apart as part of the fun of the boil. Using frozen shrimp just seems so genteel!

Of course, I also grew up in New England. There, we have lobster bakes. It's like each person getting their own gigantic crawfish.

It seems odd to me, using frozen shrimp for a shrimp boil. I don't know why you couldn't, I just envision the "real" looking shrimp, with the shells and antennae and all. I also live coastal, and while I'd be perfectly content using frozen shrimp in a regular dish, I've bought the head-on, antennae moving type shrimp from a seafood market. I think it's because when I think of a shrimp or crawfish boil, part of the fun is the big heap of steaming red-shelled delicacies that you pick apart as part of the fun of the boil. Using frozen shrimp just seems so genteel!

Of course, I also grew up in New England. There, we have lobster bakes. It's like each person getting their own gigantic crawfish.

The reason that fresh are preferred is that freezing changes the texture of shrimp flesh; it loses elasticity in the fibers, so that there is no longer that slight resistance when you bite into it. (Slight resistance is good, but of course, rubbery resistance is bad; we're not speaking of overcooked shrimp, either.) Once you add the boil seasoning, the clove in it breaks the fibers down even further. Add to that that many people mess up the timing of adding the shrimp to the pot, and sometimes boiled frozen shrimp can end up with a dry, pasty texture. It's just not very good, IMO. (Mind you, if the shrimp disappoint, I can easily make a full meal out of just the potatoes; I love those so much that I frequently make them at home without the shrimp, using liquid boil seasoning and frozen shell stock.)

I live in the midwest now, and I'll eat frozen shrimp in other dishes, but not when boiled. My DD14, who was born and raised here, is an absolute shrimp snob; she won't eat frozen if you pay her, no matter how they are prepared. Fresh, otoh, she devours. Even when she was tiny she could tell the difference; she first ate them fresh at my family's home when she was maybe 6 months old, and when I later tried to feed her frozen shrimp, she'd spit them out.

PS: While we're speaking of traditional seafood feasts, has anyone gone to a fish boil in Wisconsin? That's the mac-daddy of unusual techniques. The cooks throw kerosene on the fire when the food is done, so that the fire flashes way up and makes the pot boil over. It gets rid of the foam and oil that's on top of the water, so that it doesn't cling to the food, but the first time I saw it I wasn't expecting it, and I thought they were completely crazy.

Last edited:
Well ... my wedding planned over a year in advance conflicted with when we found out WHO SHOT JR? There was a writers strike so everything got delayed and of course I got the hottest episode on tv my big day. No VCRs, no on demand, no nothing way to see it other than live. If some didn't come because of it, that is okay. One couple left early to go watch, I found a landline phone to call them to find out who did it, I stopped the music and just said "Kristin did it". Some smiles, some confused faces but one of the things from that night that really stood out.

SORRY to digress from OP. I have planned things around SEC family who are die hard college football fans SO .... I find it hard to believe that the hosts didn't know exactly what they were doing on many levels.

That was a real BIG DEAL the summer and early fall of 1980. All those gossip shows and even hard news were speculating who shot JR, naming various suspects and giving motives for each one. But really, who DIDN’T have a reason to shoot him?

I was never a regular watcher of Dallas, but my girlfriend of the time was. I think they strung it along at the beginning of the new season and didn’t reveal the culprit until the 5th or 6th episode. At the time it broke the record for the highest rated entertainment show.

That summer my girlfriend bought a “I Shot JR” T shirt on the boardwalk.

Rutgers actually had a decent record as an Independent in the years prior to me attending and during my first three years. There were some good wins over major opponents like Penn State and Tennessee. But by my senior year they started to suck.

Back in 2006 they started another 4 year stretch of winning records in the Big East.

I don’t think Maryland belongs in that conference either.

Most of my family was at the game last weekend against UD (my blue hen and her boyfriend drove up for it), my husband and daughter are Rutgers alumni, and I have a freshman there. I watched the game from home, Picture in Picture since Clemson was playing at the same time (have a freshman there as well).

You have a lake house, adult children, regularly throw parties for people at the lake, and you’re complaining about having to bring more than your fair share of shrimp? And that your SIL dares to try to have fun with a shirt and gets your size wrong? Goodness, are your diamond heels also pinching your toes? Good grief, this whole thing is so petty. I realize you were only venting, but I still hope you pause and recognize just how silly this all sounds.

Most of my family was at the game last weekend against UD (my blue hen and her boyfriend drove up for it), my husband and daughter are Rutgers alumni, and I have a freshman there. I watched the game from home, Picture in Picture since Clemson was playing at the same time (have a freshman there as well).
[/QUOTE

My daughter is a U of Delaware grad. Maryland and Delaware have or had a reciprocal in-state tuition program for certain programs.

My daughter is a U of Delaware grad. Maryland and Delaware have or had a reciprocal in-state tuition agreement for certain programs.

Last edited:
It’s silly to waste an entire afternoon watching a game filled with commercials when you can just find out the score at the end. Or check the score periodically on the phone. I guess unless one has a close relative playing.

It’s silly to waste an entire afternoon watching a game filled with commercials when you can just find out the score at the end. Or check the score periodically on the phone. I guess unless one has a close relative playing.
While that is true for you, others would not agree.

OP, it is entirely reasonable for you to be annoyed that you are spending more money for the party than the host.

On weddings, I set a deadline that it had to happen before NFL started. I didn't want to know who would prefer a Cowboy game to my wedding. It was bad enough for our engagement/my graduation party. I'd even consulted with now-DH who said that any (Saturday night?) would work because the Cowboys never played then. Except the precise one I picked.

OP, it is entirely reasonable for you to be annoyed that you are spending more money for the party than the host.

On weddings, I set a deadline that it had to happen before NFL started. I didn't want to know who would prefer a Cowboy game to my wedding. It was bad enough for our engagement/my graduation party. I'd even consulted with now-DH who said that any (Saturday night?) would work because the Cowboys never played then. Except the precise one I picked.
It’s too bad that anyone would miss a family event especially a wedding to watch something on tv. Especially with the ability to record. My brother is like that. Really ties his weekends up. We no longer schedule around him the the Steelers schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter