Major Epcot Transformation Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the concepts and layout stuff but honestly this D23 was a disappointment attraction wise and detail wise. Leaving the 800lb gorilla (Journey into Imagination) in limbo once more is almost unforgivable. That entire pavilion is a microcosm of everything wrong with the Bob Iger/Chapek stewardship of the parks. The fix is so obvious and yet Disney can't seem to be bothered to restore that attraction to its former greatness. A real pity. No problems with Moana getting a ride but wouldn't Adventureland in MK be a better home for it? God forbid if its a swap for Figment, even in his current shell of a ride self.

I was hoping that since they’re building the new festival center... maybe they would get rid of the showcase building between Canada and the U.K. That building is wasted space in my eyes. It’s prime real estate for a such a underutilized space. You could easily fit a substantial ride in that area. Just saying... I know it won’t happen. So spinning ride it is, better than nothing I guess. Still stoked to see a Cherry Tree Lane.
It isn't wasted space to Disney. It is constantly hosting private events.

I like the concepts and layout stuff but honestly this D23 was a disappointment attraction wise and detail wise. Leaving the 800lb gorilla (Journey into Imagination) in limbo once more is almost unforgivable. That entire pavilion is a microcosm of everything wrong with the Bob Iger/Chapek stewardship of the parks. The fix is so obvious and yet Disney can't seem to be bothered to restore that attraction to its former greatness. A real pity. No problems with Moana getting a ride but wouldn't Adventureland in MK be a better home for it? God forbid if its a swap for Figment, even in his current shell of a ride self.
Just an FYI, the Moana attraction isn’t a ride. It’s a walkthrough experience of “living water” to teach/explain the natural water cycle. It’s not replacing any rides either.

There have been rumors floating around about an update to Imagination. Maybe they’re just not ready to announce it yet.

I feel like parts of future world are where you get kidnapped in a horror movie (desolate/abandoned) so even if we're saying goodbye to Future World, I'm cautiously optimistic about the park getting some love.

What exactly is a spinning ride? Like the tea cups?

A "spinner" can be anything from Teacups to Dumbo or like Alien Swirling Saucers - basically anything that simply rotates. They don't take up much space and are family friendly - I know people want something more grandiose, but really it's a good fit for the area if it turns out to be like that. Epcot could use a ride of that nature.

It doesn't look good for Figment. :sad2: I wished that Disney would have announced a beefing up of his role at Epcot, along with Dreamfinder. That would have been fantastic. It would have been a nice throwback and tribute to the little purple dragon along with a nice upgrade to the dark ride. Is there a possibility that the Figment ride could be updated to something connecting with the pavilion itself. Although what, I have no clue. I mean, could it possibly be worse than what's there now? I'll have to reserve judgement on the area around SSE because I really like the open space and worry that it may become too cluttered. Also worried about crowds and noise in that area of World Celebration when there are performances going on. 😱 I go to Epcot to escape that. Another thing Disney, I'm begging ya, not another tea cup ride, please! Now if they only could build a Peoplemover in Epcot and upgrade Figment, then I'd shut up about everything else.

Any ideas on who the new SSE narrator will be? Can't be Walter but I would love Jeremy Irons back. Doubt it will happen but I still liked him after the other Walt of course. I'm thinking Anthony Hopkins would be a great choice.

Just reading through all the proposed updated coming to Epcot. WOW! Trying to figure out what will be completed for our next trip. I couldn't find the refurb dates for the Ball. Anyone know when this will happen?

I didn't see an announcement on the timing either - just that they will be giving it some all-new scenes and enhanced lighting for the older scenes. I am looking forward to it!

Question on the "Festival Center"....does this mean at FoA, F&W, F&G will all be held in that location? So the booths would no longer be in World Showcase??

Any ideas on who the new SSE narrator will be? Can't be Walter but I would love Jeremy Irons back. Doubt it will happen but I still liked him after the other Walt of course. I'm thinking Anthony Hopkins would be a great choice.

I think it will be totally different as they are changing it from about the evolution of communication to being about storytelling. I know in one of the other threads here it got thrown out to have multiple narrators from around the world - so examples of celebrated storytellers from different nationalities and cultures

I think that is why the panel was frustrating to many ... felt like they spent way too much time on things "we" don't really care and then rushed through the things we do care about and then gave very little detail about things (most of which are things that were already out there, so very little new info at all - no opening dates or even timeframe for when things will start to close for updates, etc.)

And then to add salt to the wound I keep seeing posts from Disney that are like "details released about such and such" ... and I think that my definition of "details" must be very different than theirs

This is all great news, but the looming question of imagination is killer.

If I’m not mistaking, Imagination pavilion would sit in the “neighborhood” of Nature, which doesn’t quite make sense to me. Hopefully this isn’t a sign of the exit of our favorite purple dragon, but rather them delaying an announcement to make sure they give figment the best treatment.

Another thing to consider of course is the merchandise sold involving figment. He is very much relevant today, and with parks and consumer divisions being unified, I think he will be safe, it’s just a matter of testing our patience.

so based on the map it is a little unclear as Imagination seems to span Celebration and Nature - if anything, the part that guests see seems to be more in Celebration ... but it isn't mentioned explicitly when they talk about either "World" so it does have me a little concerned about the future of it

OK - looks like we wait to see! As much as I get dragged into new things, I know this does need an update for the ending. I just hope they don't change it too, too much!

Lyonsfamily - have fun in October!!

Question on the "Festival Center"....does this mean at FoA, F&W, F&G will all be held in that location? So the booths would no longer be in World Showcase??

no, the booths will still be in World Showcase - it's just that previously the Festival Center (where there were a lot of the talks and merchandise and stuff like that) was in what was the Wonders of Life Pavilion, which is becoming the Play Pavilion, so this is more of a permanent and "built for" building for that sort of stuff

no, the booths will still be in World Showcase - it's just that previously the Festival Center (where there were a lot of the talks and merchandise and stuff like that) was in what was the Wonders of Life Pavilion, which is becoming the Play Pavilion, so this is more of a permanent and "built for" building for that sort of stuff

Ahhhhhh....that makes sense! I was wondering how in the world they would squeeze it all in lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter