• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thanks for the head's up on the special offer. I knew booking Little mermaid room that those never seem to be included in the deals. Looking at what else is to offer, I think the price on that room + the tix I am going to get before 10/16 is still the better deal for me. I'd rather spend on food as I go (snacks, few table service, booze)

I'm refusing to tempt myself with a more expensive hotel. Ugh, but I still looked.

Not related to the discounts ...
I'm thinking of switching from Beach Club to Pop (if my TA still has group rates available, which I haven't checked because I'm just starting to think about it). I've always stayed in the values and I'm not entirely convinced that I need to spend the money on a deluxe. Last time I stayed in a fancy hotel it felt like it wasn't "me". Pop feels very "me". I'm not really sure what I should do.
Thoughts? Insights? Has anyone gone from value to deluxe and either loved or hated it?
I've never stayed at a deluxe as I have yet to convince myself I'd spend enough time at the resort to justify the cost. And I like staying where you're comfortable. I stayed twice at All Star Sports. I love sports. I was running a race for one of those stays and it was right after the Giants won the World Series. But I found the laid back vibe of the Port Orleans resorts a better experience than the happy chaos of All Star Sports. I'll stay there again if I need to with no complaints, but

That's actually a really good point, I hadn't thought about that. We did Shabbos at Pop a few years ago and didn't leave the room at all ... but that was when I wasn't solo (my sister was on that trip). Current plan for this trip is solo, so I'll probably go stir crazy alone in the room as soon as I wake up from my afternoon nap :)
Maybe a little bit different, but stir crazy can definitely happen. I stayed at Sports for the 2012 Wine & Dine Half. As that was an evening race then, I had planned to spend the entire day of the race off my feet and in my room. Well by 11:00am, I knew I would lose my mind even though I had plenty of college football to watch (which I love, but I know you don't). So I decided to actually go to Epcot instead and spend lots of time sitting down and off my feet. Mentally, this worked much better and physically I did fine that night during the race. Since going to a park is not an option for you, I would choose a resort room where you find the right feeling you're looking for on the sabbath.

Thanks for the head's up on the special offer. I knew booking Little mermaid room that those never seem to be included in the deals. Looking at what else is to offer, I think the price on that room + the tix I am going to get before 10/16 is still the better deal for me. I'd rather spend on food as I go (snacks, few table service, booze)

I'm refusing to tempt myself with a more expensive hotel. Ugh, but I still looked.
I was all set to stay at Animation for Dark Side 2017, but entertained other rooms and wound up switching to Riverside for less than Animation.

@SarahDisney We had (are having?) a similar dilemma when deciding where to stay in January. I've actually only stayed at moderates (and off site) and somehow decided to try a value (Pop) for the marathon. We could stay at a deluxe, but I just don't know that the added cost is justified for the little time we spend in the rooms.

After our last WDW trip in 2017, my DH mentioned that he always expects the resorts to be more 'Bam! Disney!" themed and so we talked about staying in a value just to experience that type of themeing. And now, I'm also debating a split stay...

If you do decide on Pop, I'll be there :D

If you book a package through a TA with a bib they should be able to get you discounts as well.
I though TA with bibs could only offer runDisney group rates and could not apply any other discounts afterwards... Anyone has a different experience? Maybe that is still the best option, I just don’t know.

I though TA with bibs could only offer runDisney group rates and could not apply any other discounts afterwards... Anyone has a different experience? Maybe that is still the best option, I just don’t know.
Some TAs do their own group rates for marathon weekend. Some do runDisney packages like you mentioned. I would probably book the bib and package separate but the advantage with booking together is usually no registration fees. That’s what I did with my wine and dine.

I know its not the same. But dogs like rabbits. And so you can imagine all of the dogs running to try to get Oswald. And how happy they'd be if they caught him.

In years past the 5k character stops were always heavily represented by animals (whether pets or sidekicks or main characters) so maybe Disney will have a Pluto stop??!! I will cross my toes for you that you can get a Pluto race pic :)

OMG My pup actually caught a bunny last year. We then decided to buy him a stuffed one (cheap, Ikea) and fully expected it to be gone in days because he destroys stuffed toys. It's still hangin around, he absolutely LOVES that thing! I'll have to think of that on my long runs now bc I'm not running the 5K but that thought makes me smile.

As for BC, we stayed there last year and it was by far my favorite resort on property. The whole family came and it was very convenient to walk to HS/EP. NOT stuffy at all, very welcoming. The lobby smells amazing!!! I'm another vote for BC. I also am not a fan of value resorts either however we're no longer a RD to closing family so we tend to spend a decent amount of time at the resort itself.

Pop is also my favorite Disney resort. I stay at very expensive hotels while traveling on business (Middle East and Europe), but I just don't see the "value" in the deluxe resorts, especially when it's my money. We would rather save money on the room (which we spend little time in) and spend some (or all) of the savings on nicer dinners and drinks. We will be staying off property (Bonnet Creek timeshare rental) this year for the W&D HM for the first time in the last 15 or so trips to WDW.

This brings me to another question ... obviously everyone is different, but how much should I be budgeting for DATW?
I have no idea how long I'll be around - it may be a quick hit-and-run or I may stick around the whole time, and I'll probably end up getting water at most of the stops, but lets say I were to get drinks at every country - does anyone have a ballpark figure of about how much that will cost? (yes, I know, the cost will depend on the drink, I'm not looking for exact math, just an idea)

This brings me to another question ... obviously everyone is different, but how much should I be budgeting for DATW?
I have no idea how long I'll be around - it may be a quick hit-and-run or I may stick around the whole time, and I'll probably end up getting water at most of the stops, but lets say I were to get drinks at every country - does anyone have a ballpark figure of about how much that will cost? (yes, I know, the cost will depend on the drink, I'm not looking for exact math, just an idea)

Max? Probably $8-12 per country for boozes or minimum $0-4 if you want a bottle of water, plus lunch at Via Napoli.

This year, I bought some group snacks and people split drinks in a couple of countries too, so there’s also that.

I’d go back and look at exactly what I spent on DATW but I really don’t want to see the overall figure from Marathon Weekend this year because I still believe that if I put it on my MagicBand, it’s not real money ...

I include Refreshment Port and Africa in my route, so that makes 12 stops.

I'm such a lightweight so I'll probably be drinking water with you. All I know is that I will be getting a margarita inside the mexico pyramid. They are worth every penny.

Disney Visa Discounts dropped today which will save you even more over regular room only promotion.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/holiday-rooms-visa-cardmember/

Which brings me back to where I want to stay. I now have two rooms booked - one at BC & one at AKL. The AKL with the visa discount is $696.30 less than BC!!!! That's a lot of merchandise, food & DATW cash.

You know I love BC, but $700 is A LOT. That’s basically your weekend overhead. And AKL is still fun ... I will meet you there for bread service at Sanaa Lounge!

Wow $700 is a lot of difference. I got a pretty good rate for BC through a TA but I checked today anyway to see if there was a better rate but our rate through the TA was still better so we are staying put.

Wow $700 is a lot of difference. I got a pretty good rate for BC through a TA but I checked today anyway to see if there was a better rate but our rate through the TA was still better so we are staying put.

Was it the *magical* agent? I'm booked through them. It's a fantastic rate.

You know I love BC, but $700 is A LOT. That’s basically your weekend overhead. And AKL is still fun ... I will meet you there for bread service at Sanaa Lounge!

I love AKL and I agree that $700 is quite a bit of money, but I love BC location!!!!

CDKG's PSA for the week:

I got my flu shot today. I will have full immunity by my HHN/WDW trip at the end of October (always a good thing). Don't let the flu sideline your training! Or worse, affect you on race day. Most insurance companies cover the shot. My organization offers them onsite and bills my insurance for me. Take time to visit your doctor, a clinic or pharmacy to get yours so you can protect yourself and your family this flu season!

As you were...

$700 savings? DATW drinks are on @Bree

I know there's #nomath in this thread or else @Keels head will explode, but here goes:

$12 per drink x 11 drinks = $132
$10 per snack x 3 snacks = $30
$25 for lunch or dinner = $25
That's $187, so call it $200 when you factor in water, face painting, etc.

Last edited:
CDKG's PSA for the week:

I got my flu shot today. I will have full immunity by my HHN/WDW trip at the end of October (always a good thing). Don't let the flu sideline your training! Or worse, affect you on race day. Most insurance companies cover the shot. My organization offers them onsite and bills my insurance for me. Take time to visit your doctor, a clinic or pharmacy to get yours so you can protect yourself and your family this flu season!

As you were...

I’ve never gotten a flu shot or had the flu. I may do it this year after my race on October 6th. I’m recovering from pneumonia and it’s been the pits. I can’t imagine what the flu must be like.

Hey, BYU used that win to springboard into the rankings and is now ranked #20. Granted, they have a tough game coming up this week, but still. :p

SB Nation's Bill Connelly is very bullish on y'all bowling this year...
  • BYU: 96 percent. The Cougars are bouncing back from last season’s 4-9 collapse. They don’t have an automatic bowl tie, but they should finish with a 7-5 or 8-4 record, and with their fan base, they should have some decent bowl options.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...college-football-predictions-projections-2018

$700 savings? DATW drinks are on @Bree

I know there's #nomath in this thread or else @Keels head will explode, but here goes:

$12 per drink x 11 drinks = $132
$10 per snack x 3 snacks = $30
$25 for lunch or dinner = $25
That's $187, so call it $200 when you factor in water, face painting, etc.

Food and Beverage price hikes are definitely coming before Marathon weekend, I am planning on and extra 5-9%, particularly on anything mickey shaped or in a bottle. You may need a few extra dollars for that face painting!

CDKG's PSA for the week:

As you were...
Speaking as someone who falls into the "high-risk of flu complications" category, AND who isn't allowed to get the flu shot anymore thanks to previous allergic reactions, I thank you very much! (I basically spend flu season trying not to inhale anywhere near other human beings.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter