I have ZERO issues with the black & gold full medal
Taysom Hill went to BYU so I hope he continues to succeed for the Saints and stay injury free. That plagued him at BYU.

I’m a fan of the medals. Kind of sad about Oswald change, but then again, now I get an Oswald shirt. I was remorseful about skipping his meet and greet last year but was nervous about my finish time.

Minnie polka dot is a nice touch.

I like angry Donald and Mickey.

Goofy 2019 is better than the weird sharp 2018 one.

Dopey 2018 was better IMO but since this will be my first Dopey I’ll take it
I like angry Donald because it fits his personality. Plus, I love all the blue in that medal. I prefer to think of Mickey as focused and/or determined Mickey.

After fearing something akin to 2011 and 2012 Donald medals, which I would describe as artistic attempts to represent Donald, I'm very happy. I can truly say that I like them all. I also sort of worried about a letdown after the great anniversary medals this year, and do not feel that a letdown occurred.

All I thought when I saw these is that I hope I do not finish looking as mad a Donald. This is an upgrade as I now believe I will finish.
Something about finishing helps erase the scowl if there was one during the race.

I am having some serious FOMO over that Oswald medal! If anyone knows or hears of a way to get a 5k bib legally that doesn't require tickets (i have an AP) or hotel room (I live close by) please let me know! If not I'll just hope some pins make it to the outlets. :thumbsup2
Check with a travel agent. They may have one. And you could probably land those pins on ebay or even going to the Expo.

I'm ok with the medals for Marathon Weekend, we get what appears to be two spinners.
I also like that the diameter gets larger with the distance, has that always been like that?
No. In 2012, the Wine & Dine Half medal was larger than the Coast to Coast medal for that same year. This year I think the Star Wars Virtual Half medal was bigger than all the other Star Wars medals, although it was also a circle whereas all the other medals were either helmets or the Millennium Falcon.

We are doing the 10K and the marathon and I actually really like both those medals. In truth I like all of them and am having FOMO over not earning that Goofy medal. That's a unique take on a spinner medal. But, I've run these races a few times now, so I'm mostly just happy that these have some unique traits to them from prior years. I love Pluto, so sort of hate to see him lose his spot, but also having some FOMO over a medal with Oswald on it just because I don't already have one. :D

Overall, I'm pretty pleased though.

Late to the party, as usual. I like that they went with a unified theme. I’ve always thought they should have done that in the past. Particularly in years where they had two or three of the medals look similar and then the rest were completely out in left field. I have no affinity for Oswald, but at least he’s not Duffy.

Yeah Al Michaels got traded for a cartoon rabbit. He’s not exactly thrilled when people bring that up.

he seemed cool with it at the time:

"Oswald is definitely worth more than a fourth-round draft choice," said Michaels, referring to what the Jets got for releasing coach Herman Edwards to the Chiefs. "This is pretty cool. I'm going to be a trivia answer someday. "
https://www.sbnation.com/2010/2/9/1057329/2-09-2006-al-michaels-traded-for-a

"I feel good about it," Michaels said. "I have a lot of friends in that world of freeing all the animals.... Now I can say, 'Hey, what more do you want? I let this guy out of the hoosegow after 55 years.' "​

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb/10/business/fi-rabbit10

"This is great," Michaels said in an interview yesterday from Los Angeles. "It's hysterical. I love the little ironies of life."​

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/10/sports/football/michaels-traded-says-thththats-all-espn.html

I finally got around to calling runDisney because my Goofy registration wasn't showing up on the website. Registration went through, but can't update a proof if time with that. My Wine & Dine registration is now MIA too. She is putting a ticket in with developers to fix it all. I kinda just wish I'd left it alone right now.

love Pluto, so sort of hate to see him lose his spot, but also having some FOMO over a medal with Oswald on it just because I don't already have one. :D
I wonder if they're thinking of changing the 5K character theme every year and this is a trial balloon to see how it goes down.

I love the 5K medal. The history about how Disney lost Oswald, how Mickey Mouse was created, the influence Oswald had on future works and the trade deal that happened 80 years later to get him back is a good story.

https://ohmy.disney.com/insider/2016/09/05/oswald-the-lucky-rabbit/
That history is an often overlooked, but key point in how the Disney company became what it became.

Late to the party, as usual. I like that they went with a unified theme. I’ve always thought they should have done that in the past. Particularly in years where they had two or three of the medals look similar and then the rest were completely out in left field. I have no affinity for Oswald, but at least he’s not Duffy.
I think the difference here is that Oswald is a key point in Disney history whereas Duffy became wildly popular in Asia, but their attempts to duplicate that in the U.S. felt very corporate. Oswald has a connection to Walt Disney, which means that some Disney fans will always love him.

After they got Oswald back, they released a DVD set with the surviving animated shorts that Walt Disney would have worked on. They're quite entertaining and serve to sow the seeds of what would happen with Mickey.

As one of those fans who finds Disney history fascinating, I enjoy Oswald. But I also understand why so many people would have preferred Pluto get to keep his race.

he seemed cool with it at the time:

"Oswald is definitely worth more than a fourth-round draft choice," said Michaels, referring to what the Jets got for releasing coach Herman Edwards to the Chiefs. "This is pretty cool. I'm going to be a trivia answer someday. "
https://www.sbnation.com/2010/2/9/1057329/2-09-2006-al-michaels-traded-for-a

"I feel good about it," Michaels said. "I have a lot of friends in that world of freeing all the animals.... Now I can say, 'Hey, what more do you want? I let this guy out of the hoosegow after 55 years.' "​

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb/10/business/fi-rabbit10

"This is great," Michaels said in an interview yesterday from Los Angeles. "It's hysterical. I love the little ironies of life."​

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/10/sports/football/michaels-traded-says-thththats-all-espn.html
A bit more history to the trade. The NFL had recently awarded the Sunday Night Football contract to NBC and switched the Monday Night Football game from ABC to ESPN. So Al Micheals was under contract to ABC for a few more years, but didn't really want to go to the ESPN booth. NBC really wanted John Madden and Al Micheals in the same booth, so they were trying to get Michaels from Disney. I suspect Disney used the situation as a chance to get Oswald back for sentimental reasons while also doing right by Al Michaels.

I believe that Al Michaels is still fine with it. He was getting paid either way. And it's better than being traded for a draft pick.

Taysom Hill went to BYU so I hope he continues to succeed for the Saints and stay injury free. That plagued him at BYU.

Michael Thomas had the best quote about him today that he’s a “created player” - he’s done well in almost every situation they’ve put him in and has really helped Kamara and the run game while Ingram has been suspended.

I came here solely to say, I am not pleased with the Oswald medal. It looks nice but Pluto belongs on that 5k medal. Now the set of medals doesn't make as much sense as it did when it had all of the fab five. Also Pluto is my favorite so I'm definitely biased. Hope training is going well for those who have started and I hope it goes well for those who haven't. :D

Of course I'm in a meeting the day medals are revealed!!!!

I like the Donald medal! It has color and is very classic race medal looking. Check and check!
I only have Minnie polka dot FOMO.

The Oswald thing might be because of mickeys 90th anniversary celebrations which I think run through feb 2019. This may be a hint at upcoming Oswald involvement in all of that. Just a tinfoil theory.
I like Oswald so I think it's a cool medal. But I liked Pluto too.

I came here solely to say, I am not pleased with the Oswald medal. It looks nice but Pluto belongs on that 5k medal. Now the set of medals doesn't make as much sense as it did when it had all of the fab five. Also Pluto is my favorite so I'm definitely biased. Hope training is going well for those who have started and I hope it goes well for those who haven't. :D

This is really my feeling as well. It’s nothing against Oswald. It’s that Pluto has a pretty well established connection to that race and the overall fab five theming made so much sense. There are a lot of Disney characters that I have more of a personal affinity for than Pluto; but even if Eeyore, Yoda, or Vanellope (some of my favorites) were on the medal I’d still feel like it was out of place and that Pluto should be there.

So, I joke but I am truly devastated about the theme change of the WDW 5k. Nothing against Oswald, but I had specifically registered because of the Pluto theme and had planned on running in memory of my best pal that I lost last year.

I emailed runDisney my heartfelt plea. (Heavily edited due to the ridiculously small capacity of their online email submission form.) I don’t expect any response other than, “we apologize for the inconvenience but your registration is non-refundable and non-transferable”. But, at least I feel better having said my peace.

I already have a plan B in my head...to run this race in honor of all Disney dogs and in memory of my best pal.

So, I joke but I am truly devastated about the theme change of the WDW 5k. Nothing against Oswald, but I had specifically registered because of the Pluto theme and had planned on running in memory of my best pal that I lost last year.

I emailed runDisney my heartfelt plea. (Heavily edited due to the ridiculously small capacity of their online email submission form.) I don’t expect any response other than, “we apologize for the inconvenience but your registration is non-refundable and non-transferable”. But, at least I feel better having said my peace.

I already have a plan B in my head...to run this race in honor of all Disney dogs and in memory of my best pal.

I know its not the same. But dogs like rabbits. And so you can imagine all of the dogs running to try to get Oswald. And how happy they'd be if they caught him.

In years past the 5k character stops were always heavily represented by animals (whether pets or sidekicks or main characters) so maybe Disney will have a Pluto stop??!! I will cross my toes for you that you can get a Pluto race pic :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter