So, I joke but I am truly devastated about the theme change of the WDW 5k. Nothing against Oswald, but I had specifically registered because of the Pluto theme and had planned on running in memory of my best pal that I lost last year.

I already have a plan B in my head...to run this race in honor of all Disney dogs and in memory of my best pal.
It's so hard when we lose a beloved pal. Dogs especially are a lot smarter than they sometimes get credit for. While it is not the medal you wanted, get a picture with Pluto after the race in the parks with that medal and tell him why you ran the race.

I know its not the same. But dogs like rabbits. And so you can imagine all of the dogs running to try to get Oswald. And how happy they'd be if they caught him.
Now I have an image in my head of all these dogs chasing Oswald all over Epcot having the time of their dog lives desperately trying to catch him.

Maybe runDisney should add a dog run event to the weekend. . . .

I know its not the same. But dogs like rabbits. And so you can imagine all of the dogs running to try to get Oswald. And how happy they'd be if they caught him.

In years past the 5k character stops were always heavily represented by animals (whether pets or sidekicks or main characters) so maybe Disney will have a Pluto stop??!! I will cross my toes for you that you can get a Pluto race pic :)
Thank you. In that case, maybe a Chip & Dale theme would have been more appropriate. My boy caught a few squirrels in his day. :scared1:

That means that the best way to book Marathon weekend is to buy the bibs separately from any package, right? Then, I am free to rebook a better deal later if available.
Planning for 2020 and seeing what the 2019 runners go through is a source of wisdom.
If you book a package through a TA with a bib they should be able to get you discounts as well.

Not related to the discounts ...
I'm thinking of switching from Beach Club to Pop (if my TA still has group rates available, which I haven't checked because I'm just starting to think about it). I've always stayed in the values and I'm not entirely convinced that I need to spend the money on a deluxe. Last time I stayed in a fancy hotel it felt like it wasn't "me". Pop feels very "me". I'm not really sure what I should do.
Thoughts? Insights? Has anyone gone from value to deluxe and either loved or hated it?

I'm thinking of switching from Beach Club to Pop (if my TA still has group rates available, which I haven't checked because I'm just starting to think about it). I've always stayed in the values and I'm not entirely convinced that I need to spend the money on a deluxe. Last time I stayed in a fancy hotel it felt like it wasn't "me". Pop feels very "me". I'm not really sure what I should do.
Thoughts? Insights? Has anyone gone from value to deluxe and either loved or hated it?
Obviously do what’s in the best interest of yourself and what you can afford. Personally if I had the choice between the two for marathon weekend I would choose Beach Club every time. It didn’t feel upper class when I stayed there. Something on the monorail I think does and would to you for sure. I appreciate each resort for what it is.

Last edited:

I'm with ya on the money thing. I'm second guessing spending so much money on BC myself. If I move over to AKL, I can save $450 with the discount that was released today and possibly more with an AP discount. That would pay for most of my dining!

BC isn't really uppity and fancy IMO. It's super laid back. Being able to walk over to Epcot is awesome. That's where my struggle lies right now. Quiet & peaceful AKL or walk to Epcot.

I have not had one good stay at a value resort (Pop x2, ASMu x2, ASP x3, ASMo x3). It's just luck of the draw I guess.

I'd at least contact your TA to see if they have rooms left at Pop.

All I am gonna say is Beach Club Parties! But I feel you on the money front, trust me.

I have stayed both at the Pop and at the Beach Club and feel welcomed and happy at both.
You know Pop so I’ll describe the other.
The BC feels like a comfortable Beach Resort, not stuffy at all. The pools are amazing if the weather cooperates. I enjoyed being able to sit and relax in the solarium or on the sofas in the hallways. The best part of BC is the possibility of walking/boating to Epcot, HS and the Boardwalk. You can easily stroll through WSC at night or watch HS fireworks (maybe even from your room).
Of course, if staying at Pop means you can do two Marathon weekends instead of one, the choice might be easy ;)

FYI: January promos dropped this morning if you're looking to same a little $$ over marathon weekend. :thumbsup2

So I booked a room only reservation a couple of months ago, is the best way to check for better rates and alter an existing reservation to call the Disney number or is there a better way to make sure you get the best options available?

Thanks, every dollar saved in helpful :)

So I booked a room only reservation a couple of months ago, is the best way to check for better rates and alter an existing reservation to call the Disney number or is there a better way to make sure you get the best options available?

Your best option is probably to call.

I just updated my April reservation online. I went to my reservation, and then clicked on ’change reservation’ and then I think it gave me the option to look/apply other offers.

All I am gonna say is Beach Club Parties!

Oh yeah, those Beach Club parties won't be the same without me sitting in the corner crying... (that's basically what I do at parties, it's super fun)

The best part of BC is the possibility of walking/boating to Epcot, HS and the Boardwalk. You can easily stroll through WSC at night or watch HS fireworks (maybe even from your room).

This is why I was initially drawn to BC and why I'm still thinking about staying there despite the price. Especially now that I have an AP (and don't need to worry about how many days I have left on my ticket), this would allow me to quickly pop in to the parks for an hour on a day when I wasn't previously planning to go to the parks. Or maybe even watch fireworks from my balcony (assuming I have one). That's definitely a big perk.

It's tough for sure. Thanks for all the insight, everyone!

You’d have more interesting places to lounge on Shabbos if you stay at BC. I personally stay at Pop, but I could see myself going stir crazy if I were trapped there.

You’d have more interesting places to lounge on Shabbos if you stay at BC. I personally stay at Pop, but I could see myself going stir crazy if I were trapped there.

That's actually a really good point, I hadn't thought about that. We did Shabbos at Pop a few years ago and didn't leave the room at all ... but that was when I wasn't solo (my sister was on that trip). Current plan for this trip is solo, so I'll probably go stir crazy alone in the room as soon as I wake up from my afternoon nap :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter