Marathon Weekend 2024

A bit cool for my tastes for the 5k & 10k, especially for standing around waiting. The half and full look great. Wouldn't mind another 10 degrees on those daily highs for wandering around in the parks, though.
Dittos. The half and full temps are right in my sweet spot, and agree on wanting a tad warmer for park time.

My Garmin says it was 45 that morning when I started 🥶 I wore 3/4 tights and a long sleeve shirt, couldn’t believe it. Not gonna lie, hoping for the same this year!
So funny, I couldn't remember it being cold so I went and looked at my pics. Looks like I did have a sweatshirt on at the start, but then rest of my pics are me in short sleeves and shorts. I have no memory of it being cold that day!

Someone on one of the runDisney FB groups just posted that she got her virtual 5K box for Marathon Weekend, so hopefully we'll start seeing race shirts soon! She wouldn't take the shirt out of the box but it appears to be yellow.

Someone on one of the runDisney FB groups just posted that she got her virtual 5K box for Marathon Weekend, so hopefully we'll start seeing race shirts soon! She wouldn't take the shirt out of the box but it appears to be yellow.
I think the 5k shirts for last year were yellow. I'd check, but I wore mine for warmth during the marathon and left it on a trash can just outside AK... I don't think they normally have the same color from year to year, so odd if it is yellow.

I think the 5k shirts for last year were yellow. I'd check, but I wore mine for warmth during the marathon and left it on a trash can just outside AK... I don't think they normally have the same color from year to year, so odd if it is yellow.
Maybe it is this yellow-orange color (from the virtual races site):
IMG_0230.jpeg

ETA: I was just looking through pictures from last year, and the 5k shirt was yellow (lemon).

Since you've had training interrupted, and (I think) not going for a PR, and doing the CtC (but not with Space Ghost), IMHO the mental strategy is break it up into manageable segments, for instance a series of 10Ks, and we know you can do a 10K.
Thank you for this. That's a great way to distract my brain from the mounting miles. I am working on the mental process of accepting that I may simply not have time to stop for characters because the time off has slowed my pace. I'm not yet back to pre hospital pace, but fortunately, I am able to maintain the minimum pace required, so that might have to be good enough.

During my first marathon in 2019, I started to feel it around mile 17. At that point, it became a matter of hanging on and finding anything along the course to distract me. I celebrated favorite characters on mile markers, and got deliriously happy just seeing the rising spires of Galaxy's Edge knowing that in a few short months, I would be there at Disneyland.
7. World Showcase to Finish (I'm usually giddy/delirious when I hit this stretch and love singing along to "Let's Go Fly a Kite")
During my above mentioned first marathon, I had a non alcoholic fruit smoothie in hand. Having the benefits of being cold and tasting nothing like water or powerade, it remains the single greatest smoothie I've ever had in my life. When Let's Go Fly a Kite came on over the PA system, I thought I actually was flying. Or perhaps hallucinating.
ETA: I was just looking through pictures from last year, and the 5k shirt was yellow (lemon).
I think some of last year's shirts were visible from outer space. Great way to stay visible when running at night!

I think the 5k shirts for last year were yellow.

Fairly certain they were black. And very cute, but long-sleeved black shirts are not very practical for wearing at WDW very often. If last year's weren't black, it was the year before. Too lazy to go dig through my drawer.

EDIT: They were indeed neon yellow. The previous year was black.

Last edited:
Fairly certain they were black. And very cute, but long-sleeved black shirts are not very practical for wearing at WDW very often. If last year's weren't black, it was the year before. Too lazy to go dig through my drawer.
Wow. Lemon yellow for the 5K, kind-of a teal for the 10K, and lighter blues for the half and full last year.

For 2022, the 5K was black. The 10K was the dark green shirt with Oswald. And to be OCD: the half was Donald blue, a nice maroon for the full, a more subdued golden yellow, like the color of Pluto for the Goofy (go figure) and a cobalt-ish blue-grey for the Dopey.
Long sleeved? None of mine are, anymore....

So I looked back at Wine and Dine course reveal timing. It was measured about 7 weeks before the race, certified 16days before expo, and the course reveals were 2 weeks before expo.

So if MW follows a similar calendar, that means that the course was measured while holding leftovers from Diamond Horseshoe, and we'll likely get course certifications and reveals maybe next week?

I just checked out the dates, for Marathon Weekend 2024. I'm already feeling a mix of excitement and disappointment. My legs are itching to participate this year. I'll have to settle for cheering from the sidelines with a pretzel. Anybody else up, for some loading marathon fun?

Just inserting my regular reminder that our forecast here in FL for the next 24 hours has changed 5 times in the last 24 hours. I am not at all opposed to early weather talk - let it rip! Just remember that all forecasts are subject to many, many changes, and a forecast for unusually warm weather can switch to a forecast for unusually cold weather in a matter of hours. If you ran 2017, you know this well! PACK IT ALL! :rotfl:

Just inserting my regular reminder that our forecast here in FL for the next 24 hours has changed 5 times in the last 24 hours. I am not at all opposed to early weather talk - let it rip! Just remember that all forecasts are subject to many, many changes, and a forecast for unusually warm weather can switch to a forecast for unusually cold weather in a matter of hours. If you ran 2017, you know this well! PACK IT ALL! :rotfl:
1702650372150.png

Every time we get to this point and people start talking weather I think about tagging you but I know you'll be on top of it. 🤣

yep!
Every time we get to this point and people start talking weather I think about tagging you but I know you'll be on top of it. 🤣
so true.

It's not like we have a whole lot to talk about at this point either. Just sitting here (some of us in taper) twiddling our thumbs while we wait for course maps and speculate about how many typos the guide will have. :rotfl2:

Just for “fun”, I’m stalking my local forecast every few hours, because we’ve got a BIG front rolling in that looks tropical, even though we’re no longer in tropical storm season: high winds, coastal flooding from storm surge, a metric ton of rainfall, and the possibility of tornadoes… wheeeeee! Trying to schedule a long run and grocery shopping around this is more challenging than deciding on MW clothing choices, lol!

Just for “fun”, I’m stalking my local forecast every few hours, because we’ve got a BIG front rolling in that looks tropical, even though we’re no longer in tropical storm season: high winds, coastal flooding from storm surge, a metric ton of rainfall, and the possibility of tornadoes… wheeeeee! Trying to schedule a long run and grocery shopping around this is more challenging than deciding on MW clothing choices, lol!
It's like grocery shopping during a Nor'easter. Milk, toilet paper, and beer!

Basically, don't trust the weather AT ALL until at least New Year's and even then it's liable to change. I do have to wonder if the weather is more volatile in Central Florida or South Florida (where I live).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter