Marathon Weekend 2024

Another post from @DopeyBadger about DNS/DNF:
Some years ago a DIS member who no longer posts was able to access some data on number of DNFs. My recollection was that it was usually something like 400-600 runners at the most. Far far less than the 70-80% bib finisher number may suggest. The larger number of missing bibs from crossing the finish are from “Did not start” runners based on that old data.
70-80 percent is the finisher to total bib number ratio, the DNS/DNF is split among the remaining percentage.

Per @DopeyBadger:

Marathon only bibs - 7037
Goofy bibs - 1014
Dopey bibs - 8068

Total Marathon bibs - 16119

HM only bibs - 10055

Total HM bibs - 19137

10k only bibs - 5525

Total 10k bibs - 13593

Bear in mind that this is total bibs, and you'll have people who finished, people who ended up not participating in the race at all (DNS), and people who started but didn't finish (DNF). Apparently there are more people who DNS as opposed to DNF.
Someone could use the difference between athletes crossing the first timing mat (6 miles) and finisher’s to make a guess at DNF. This would obviously omit anyone that started and stopped before 6 miles but it’s the best solution I can think of. I’m also not sure if this is in the results data but I would think it would be in the tracking data since you can track others before they finish.

I don’t have the time or data scraping skills, but it sounds feasible for anyone that does.

In case anyone is curious during the half if it wasn’t cut they were going to have drummers in the MK parking lot
I love the Pacific Island drums and having them playing as we run past. I wish I had the rhythm and skill to do that.
So during the full marathon, I did something I've been wanting to do for years: I veered off course and ran to the endmost drum and asked the guy if I could drum for a minutes. He was rather surprised, but handed me the drum sticks and let me drum for a minute. I thanked him and left. I'm sure I made a total hash of it in terms of matching the other drummers, but it was fun for a minute.

Later in Epcot, right by Mission Space were some guys drumming on trash cans and they had one set out for runners. So I took a turn and kept going. Total fun.

Someone could use the difference between athletes crossing the first timing mat (6 miles) and finisher’s to make a guess at DNF. This would obviously omit anyone that started and stopped before 6 miles but it’s the best solution I can think of. I’m also not sure if this is in the results data but I would think it would be in the tracking data since you can track others before they finish.

I don’t have the time or data scraping skills, but it sounds feasible for anyone that does.

I think that only works if you pull the data from the runner tracking page which deactivates shortly after the race weekend. Then you'd possibly have to comb through each bib individually. I don't think the DNF show up in the results page. There used to be a hidden website that an older DIS member used to be able to get access to that had that information, but she hasn't posted in a long time, and I don't even know whether that hidden website still exists. But the number of DNF was a relatively small number. My recollection was that 400-600 runners number was for the marathon, and for a HM it's much less. But I can't speak specifically on the numbers. The DNS was always a much much higher % of the difference between bib assignment and finishers.

DD: “262 miles?”
Me: ??
DD: “There’s no decimal point”

And now OCD me can’t unsee it.
(Yes, I know that’s probably the decimal point up high, but still)
I don't think that is a decimal up high. The triangles and stars are decorating the entire design in locations most definitely not decimal-appropriate. This may be one of RunDisney's low key worst mistakes ever...

Looks like someone screwed up. The triangle is definitely not the decimal. I'm looking at my Dopey magnet and there's a decimal in the same colour/font as the numbers

Looks like someone screwed up. The triangle is definitely not the decimal. I'm looking at my Dopey magnet and there's a decimal in the same colour/font as the numbers
Last year it was the missing castle icon on the mug. This year a missing decimal. What will it be next year!?

You know I think I'm even more glad I got that magnet now. If only because even though it was well short of 262 miles, I think I felt done with running for a long time after the Dopey to Disneyland 71 Mile Madness. Very fun, but also very exhausting.

You know I think I'm even more glad I got that magnet now. If only because even though it was well short of 262 miles, I think I felt done with running for a long time after the Dopey to Disneyland 71 Mile Madness. Very fun, but also very exhausting.
I hear you, and on Jan 7th, 8th, and 9th, I was thinking I was done for at least a year.
And then.... 20th aniv of Goofy, and Jan 15th rolled around (i.e. a week later), and I started thinking how fun it would be to do it again in 2025.
AORD (which, I note, is a lot like the sound I make trying to get up in the morning).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter