The addition of alcohol is definitely making me reconsider. I thought about the after party, but on an EMH night that would mean giving up ride time. Hmmm...so many factors to consider. For those of you who have attended before, does the addition of alcohol to the after and terrace options change your opinion on which party is “best”?

It's a very interesting question, isn't it. Must tell us something about the performance of each, from my experience it still seems like the less desirable version of the party. But I guess many love it!
Just out of curiosity, based on your experience, what about the early party makes it feel more desirable than the after party? I haven't attended either, but my family has an after party booked for next week.

I prefer the after party. We usually leave the park after fireworks, even if it is still open, as you have to battle the mass of humanity exiting if you want to stay and head back in to do some rides. Even if we are leaving, it's still chaotic trying to exit with everyone else. The after party area is a short walk from the firework viewing area, where you can then relax with some treats and drinks, then exit the park with very little in the way of crowds. It also gives you more time for rides before the fireworks.

I loved the After Party. So nice to sit down afterwards, eat, and enjoy the crowds filing out. But with a price increase of $20 plus my girls turning adult in Disney's eyes, just don't know if I could do it. I'd rather them increase a few bucks and omit the alcohol. Or how about charge the higher price for 21 and older? Of course that won't happen. Possibly have to resort to the before party. Or just not do it at all.

I will still be going to the after party, I do it on almost all my trips now (I only don't go if I'm on a solo trip). Even when the after party is sold out it's far less crowded than the before parties, and I don't really care about the price increase all that much. I'd much rather pay the money to have a much more relaxed place to see HEA and then enjoy fun desserts, but I might be in the minority.

I will still be going to the after party, I do it on almost all my trips now (I only don't go if I'm on a solo trip). Even when the after party is sold out it's far less crowded than the before parties, and I don't really care about the price increase all that much. I'd much rather pay the money to have a much more relaxed place to see HEA and then enjoy fun desserts, but I might be in the minority.
Just curious, why don't you go if you are solo? I'm going to WDW solo and just made a reservation for the after party, is it going to be awkward for me being solo? I thought that it would be nice and relaxing not having to stand in a crowd for the fireworks and not be with the crowd leaving after them.
Thanks

Just curious, why don't you go if you are solo? I'm going to WDW solo and just made a reservation for the after party, is it going to be awkward for me being solo? I thought that it would be nice and relaxing not having to stand in a crowd for the fireworks and not be with the crowd leaving after them.
Thanks

I’ve gone solo before, and am going solo again next week. I’m guessing some people don’t go solo because they think it’s easier to squeeze into a decent spot last minute. I like the easier, no-stress approach!

I’ve gone solo before, and am going solo again next week. I’m guessing some people don’t go solo because they think it’s easier to squeeze into a decent spot last minute. I like the easier, no-stress approach!
Thanks for replying. I've never been before but like you, I thought that the no stress approach would be nice. I have enough stress in my day to day life, I don't need it on vacation!

Thanks
I go to the parks a lot and generally just don’t take the time out on my solo trips to watch fireworks and shows. I went 5 times between May and August, watched HEA three times (and did the after party those three times), but on the two solo trips just didn’t feel the need to. Granted, one solo trip was a super quick weekend trip for the SWGE preview so there really wasn’t time, but I probably wouldn’t have anyway. It is relaxing, I love the show and the parties, but I do like to reserve seeing it with my family.

I'm so excited! I just booked our first After Fireworks party for 12/4. I hadn't really considered it at 180 days, but with park hours released we were a little nervous about trying to see HEA since there will only be two showings during our trip. The 11/30 fireworks are at 10pm which is getting pretty late, but the 12/4 fireworks are at 9 so I won't feel as guilty shoveling down the desserts late at night :rolleyes1. I've been searching once or twice a day for a few weeks and an opening showed up today!

It looks like they added evening EMH that night, so I know the parks will be extra crowded. More reason to do the dessert party! This is a pretty big splurge for us, but my mom cannot stand for long periods of time, so I'm hoping we can get a spot in the back so she can lean against a railing.

WOW. I did the HEA dessert party this year in February, April and July (yes, I have an upcharge problem...). Got to the viewing area at 8:15 tonight for 9:00 fireworks and this is by FAR the most crowded I’ve seen the viewing area, especially this early. Super disappointing, especially given that the parks have been relatively uncrowded the last couple of days.

WOW. I did the HEA dessert party this year in February, April and July (yes, I have an upcharge problem...). Got to the viewing area at 8:15 tonight for 9:00 fireworks and this is by FAR the most crowded I’ve seen the viewing area, especially this early. Super disappointing, especially given that the parks have been relatively uncrowded the last couple of days.

I think MNSSHP might be a contributing factor. Fewer regular nights, so more people trying to get a good spot on the same night.

I’m going to amend my criticism, now that the show is over. It actually didn’t end up being THAT crowded. Weirdly enough, I’m pretty sure about 90% of the crowd that ended up being in the viewing area was already there when I arrived at 8:15. Very few people (relatively speaking) arrived after me, so the crowd actually wasn’t as bad as I feared it would be!

I’m going to amend my criticism, now that the show is over. It actually didn’t end up being THAT crowded. Weirdly enough, I’m pretty sure about 90% of the crowd that ended up being in the viewing area was already there when I arrived at 8:15. Very few people (relatively speaking) arrived after me, so the crowd didn’t end up being too bad!

I’m going to amend my criticism, now that the show is over. It actually didn’t end up being THAT crowded. Weirdly enough, I’m pretty sure about 90% of the crowd that ended up being in the viewing area was already there when I arrived at 8:15. Very few people (relatively speaking) arrived after me, so the crowd didn’t end up being too bad!

Since I’m always using either a wheelchair or ECV I kind of hate hearing about so many people already in there that early. I certainly understand why everybody likes to sprawl out, relaxing on the ground, but it can be nerve-wracking to find space to get in and park. Now you’re making me wonder if I should switch to the after party although we much prefer the before one. And we’ll be there during Halloween party season, too.

Since I’m always using either a wheelchair or ECV I kind of hate hearing about so many people already in there that early. I certainly understand why everybody likes to sprawl out, relaxing on the ground, but it can be nerve-wracking to find space to get in and park. Now you’re making me wonder if I should switch to the after party although we much prefer the before one. And we’ll be there during Halloween party season, too.

There were definitely people struggling to maneuver big strollers. It didn’t help that it seemed more congested where you enter the area. The ECVs are usually parked in the front of the viewing area, so I wonder if that section is “reserved” for ECVs and wheelchairs?

It’s kind of frustrating that everyone gets there so early, since (to me) the whole point of doing a dessert party is not having to stake out a seat an hour in advance. But, it is lovely to have some breathing room and not be shoulder to shoulder with 1000s of your sweatiest friends!

Reactions: CJN
There were definitely people struggling to maneuver big strollers. It didn’t help that it seemed more congested where you enter the area. The ECVs are usually parked in the front of the viewing area, so I wonder if that section is “reserved” for ECVs and wheelchairs?

It’s kind of frustrating that everyone gets there so early, since (to me) the whole point of doing a dessert party is not having to stake out a seat an hour in advance. But, it is lovely to have some breathing room and not be shoulder to shoulder with 1000s of your sweatiest friends!

We’re back left rail people, even with the ECV, so I haven’t ever paid much attention about whether there’s an accessible spot reserved in the front. My biggest hangup about doing the After Party is wanting a better viewing spot for OUAT than on the terrace. I love that show, too.

We're considering doing one of the the Plaza Garden viewing dessert parties on Sunday 11/4, but I need a little advice first.

1. We'd like to see OUAT too, but I don't know yet if it will be before or after HEA that night. If we wait a week or so for that park hours update, is there still likely to be availability? (I know no one can say for sure. Even if we end up waiting and missing both, we'll still have a great trip.) If it helps, Touring Plans thinks that will be a level 4 day and it's during the gap between the 2 holiday parties so MK will be open for HEA every night between Sat. and Wed.

2. If OUAT ends up being after HEA, is one party better than the other? I know we can go to the before party and stay in the garden for it. But if we do the after party and wait in the garden until OUAT ends, will there still be enough time to go in and eat?

3. Same question as #2, but this time in reverse if OUAT is first. Would we have enough time to eat at the earlier party and still get to the garden in time for OUAT?

4. If the park closes at 9 as currently planned, we're likely to do the After Party since that's essentially bonus time after park close. If the hours are extended from 9 until 10 and we want to watch both HEA and OUAT, I assume that eats up most of the last hour? In other words, am I correct in thinking that we wouldn't have time to do any rides between 9 and 10 if we want to watch both shows, regardless of whether we're at the dessert party or not?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter