MNSSHP - Going Overboard on Dates?

I think it is fine if you are a person who wants to do a party as it spreads the crowds out a little but if you don't do the partys and want MK at night, it is just that much more crowded on the few nights that they are open late. I am in both camps- I love a less crowded party but I hate how crowded it is for the few nights to be in MK late those weeks. We still usually do both!

For me, my plans are to go on a Friday if I go in September. If I have to go in October, a weekday night. Of course, I would go in full ghoulish regalia, since part of the fun is going in costume, and given I live and breath characters(in short, I act) for a living, you can't expect less from me.

If Disney's determined that enough people will buy tickets, then the more parties the better. We love MNSSHP, and it widens the window that we can book a trip and go to the party. We went to the very first party last year and it was a blast.

The only downside is that MK is closed early that day for people not wanting to attend.

We went to the first MNSSHP last year on Labor Day weekend. Heckuva lot of fun! It did feel a little odd leading up to the party, but after we entered the park and started the evening, it didn't matter that it was two months before Halloween. That party did not seem so crowded, but having heard tales of recent crowds it only seems right fro Disney to add more MNSSHP dates

Very happy that there are three dates while we're there - 8/25, 8/29 and 9/1. We may not have been able to attend one had they not gone that early.

My DD 14 (soon 15) is peanut allergic (my profile pic is from 2009), so I've been trying to read up a bit on it. My wife isn't worried about the candy, but she's worried about the potential of little kids wiping peanut-y hands everywhere. The good thing is my daughter is old enough to carry her meds, including her Epi-Pen, and she can make her own decisions. The bad news is that this is a surprise trip, and we don't want to force her into the party.

So, the question is - does anyone think the first three parties will be sold out?

Very happy that there are three dates while we're there - 8/25, 8/29 and 9/1. We may not have been able to attend one had they not gone that early.

My DD 14 (soon 15) is peanut allergic (my profile pic is from 2009), so I've been trying to read up a bit on it. My wife isn't worried about the candy, but she's worried about the potential of little kids wiping peanut-y hands everywhere. The good thing is my daughter is old enough to carry her meds, including her Epi-Pen, and she can make her own decisions. The bad news is that this is a surprise trip, and we don't want to force her into the party.

So, the question is - does anyone think the first three parties will be sold out?

Unless they have ridiculously low pricing, they won't sell out before the week prior b/c of the non-refundability of the tickets.

They didn't last year and I don't expect them to this year, but you never know. There is a wave of us late August travellers who are super excited to be attending. I think it will depend on the price of the tickets. Last year ticket prices went up significantly from the year before, and as a result, there were fewer sold out parties last year, so I really think it might be price dependent.

@lentesta tweeted that between 8/25 and 12/22 MK closes 53 of 120 days! That is a lot of early closings and a lot of extra money people are paying to be in MK for the evening. Out of the 7 nights of my trip, 4 will be party nights.

I fell your pain their at 5 nights that are parties on our 9 night trip, we do enjoy the party but I am not looking forward to fighting for a spot to see the new fireworks on a non party day

I understand that Disney is a business and we really love the Halloween party, we went twice last year 2016, but I think the amount of nights the MK park is closing at 7 to regular guests is getting a bit excessive. Now they are even starting in August.

I guess it's good that this gives more opportunities for some families but it sure limits park time for others that don't care or cant afford the prices of the party. For non party going guests they are still paying premium costs just to be at Disney World and it sucks they are stuck with so many MK early closing nights.
Especially October guests.

EVENT DATES
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party takes place on the following dates:

• August 25 and 29, 2017
  • September 1, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26 and 29, 2017
  • October 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27, 29 and 31, 2017
  • November 1, 2017

Yes, in my opinion way too many dates, especially in early Sept. and even Aug. I'm now having to attempt to rearrange my plans/days/adr's...argh...the least they could do is have their schedule ready before the 180 day mark for the rest of us.

I have several thoughts. I am hoping that, with more parties available, it slims the crowd a bit on party nights. It's always fun, but last year was very crowded compared with my past experiences. I understand what people are saying about paying full price for a park that closes at 7:00. However, schedules are posted clearly in advance and people can choose if they want to be in MK that day, or not. If their time is limited, it's not like they don't have 10 hours (or more) open to them at the parks. We schedule around a lot of different events for our trips, this is just one of them. Stay grateful!!

The problem is schedules are not posted "clearly" in advance. Many times the schedule is not up before the 180 day mark, and even if/when it does come out, they change hours very frequently. A couple years ago, they posted 7pm closings, which we all assumed meant MNSSHP, only to change them much later and there were not MNSSHP's on those days, so many have learned that until the party dates are announced, you CANNOT rely on the Disney calendar, which means all the ppl. that have late Aug./early Sept. vacations booked, are just now learning what days for sure are going to have what, which is weeks after they had to book ADR's. Stay grateful!!

My son has a nut allergy as well but he's never had an issue with what your describing. FYI - The parks have Epi-Pens.
I think it's great you want to surprise your daughter but at that age I think telling her in advance and allowing her to help plan would be better. Plus she might want to dress up and girls have a funny way of changing their minds with costumes.:flower3:

My son has a nut allergy as well but he's never had an issue with what your describing. FYI - The parks have Epi-Pens.
I think it's great you want to surprise your daughter but at that age I think telling her in advance and allowing her to help plan would be better. Plus she might want to dress up and girls have a funny way of changing their minds with costumes.:flower3:

We've been talking about it all day. We surprised the girls in 2011, and they've both said they want to be surprised again. However, given this, as well as my older one potentially planning something for the week before school starts, is making us reconsider the surprise of the trip itself. There would still be surprises ON the trip (we're going to tell them POFQ when we're staying at the Poly, for instance), but we're thinking we may tell them about the trip itself.

I do think they have too many. Starting too early too.
That said, I think we'll end up going to one of the first 2.
So, while I do think they have too many, since they do have them, and we'll be there for my birthday, we'll probably go

Does seem like there are way too many parties, but we will probably try to go to one of them in Aug.

I have a few thoughts on it.

I am one of those crazy Halloween people who loves it all year round, and I loved MNSSHP last year, so my first reaction to more dates is "awesome!"

When I started reading about people being upset about too many early MK closings, I was sympathetic. However, the more I thought about it, the less I was. In reality, someone choosing to visit MK on a party day would be losing 2 hours of park time (3 at the most) if they got there at opening and left at 7, and the fireworks show. If you planned a 4 day trip and 2 of those nights had parties, you still have 2 days with full hours to choose from. Plus the option to purchase park hoppers and split your days means you have options to see and do it all.

And as far as those days then being more crowded, I don't believe it could be that much worse than any other day. Fall is already a slower season. You can always go a different time of year if it would bother you that much. Just my opinion.

I personally am thankful for the August dates for the party and hope that they do it next year too when we are going. It's not that we can't go to DW in October, but we as a large family save a lot of money going during the Labor Day deal w/***, so that is when we go. I'm psyched that we may get an opportunity to do MNSSHP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter