My mom makes/made the best.............................

Cinnamon buns. :cloud9:

....and she made the best carrot/zucchini cake for the elk hunters when they took off for 9 nine days to hunt on the eastern border of Oregon.....this is her recipe and the only time she made the cake....one big pan for mankind....one tiny samples for her kids.....and once a year!!!!!
  • /4cup butter
  • 1cup packed brown sugar
  • 1can (20 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
  • 1jar (6 oz) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
  • 1box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ Yellow Cake Mix
  • Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
which explains why my siblings and I all have the same experience with commercial carrot cake.
:rotfl2:Maybe you liked it so much because the recipe doesn’t have either carrots or zucchini in it? I much prefer pineapple and cherries too... :rotfl:

My mom isn't a good cook and strongly subscribed to the philosophy that the best punishment was sending kids to bed without dinner would teach them a lesson for their bad behavior...it didn't.

My father attempts at cooking were funny...meatloaf men, pancakes with maraschino cherries and the worst of all, Spaghettios al Grande as he referred to it. Essentially it was a can of Spaghettios with seasoned bread crumbs, red and green peppers, hot dogs and a bunch of cheese baked together. Blech!

I was going to say, not much because my mom was not a great cook. But after reading the other responses, I had forgotten that we all crave her stuffing on Thanksgiving. She did a great Thanksgiving dinner even though she was from the UK. She made stew, chili and steak a lot. The steak was beyond well done (charred). My dad loved her : ) Oh, one other thing. What she called fruit cake that we all try to make today. It's boiled brown sugar, flour, raisins, currents and nuts. More like a molasses bread with raisins and nuts vs a fruit cake.

Chicken and Dressing, German Chocolate Cake, Biscuits n Gravy , Cornbread, and any summertime garden vegetable. We always had a huge garden and many nights in the Summer there wouldn’t be any meat in sight just all fresh vegetables. I miss that and my mama so much.

Gowumpkey.

Gołąbki-stuffed cabbage rolls.

My (paternal, Polish) grandmother taught my mom how to make hers and they're wonderful. She layered some salt pork in between the gołąbki - not the healthiest thing, but the flavor is great.

My mom is considered a great cook and even caters. Growing up I liked most everything she made. When I got older, married and started cooking myself I consider my wife and I superior in regards to every single dish. Now hear me out, this isn't an ego thing, it's a "modern" thing. My mom uses my grandmothers cook books. The problem is the old cookbooks lack so much creativity, partly due to the array of spices that she didn't have access to (great depression didn't help). And with the internet as a resource with millions of recipe's, videos and years of tweaking. Everything out of grandma's cookbook IMO is bland. And a lot of people will never adventure outside of the pages. One ingredient here or there can make certain dishes (even mash potatoes) mind blowing.

Mashed rutabaga at Thanksgiving- I make it but it’s not the same
My Mom was a decent cook but my Dad was super picky so she couldn’t be creative at all

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter