NBA at Walt Disney World

I live in south Florida and your husband might be one of the people that comes down in case of a hurricane! Scary thought if all utility workers would have to self quarantine for two weeks to come help! We might be in the dark for months if we can’t ask for help under mutual side agreements!

We are in California so your aid would likely come from closer to home....but yes, mutual aid is important!

We are in California so your aid would likely come from closer to home....but yes, mutual aid is important!
Well then it could affect your fire season I expect! Best of luck out there! Yes our side is mostly east coast with some mid west! No matter what the cause the virus will negatively impact recovery from any natural disaster! Here’s praying we don’t have any!

Well then it could affect your fire season I expect! Best of luck out there! Yes our side is mostly east coast with some mid west! No matter what the cause the virus will negatively impact recovery from any natural disaster! Here’s praying we don’t have any!
I dont think it would matter if those groups helping would have to quarantine. They wouldn't do so on the initial trip. Now on the return trip home, they might have to,but even so FEMA would pick up the bill to keep these groups.

Not sure how the NBA or Disney will even let them show up. Also does Disney not think in reality that they wont have a bunch of cases once they open next week.

Has anyone heard reports if any of these players are sick as in hospitalized? I keep hearing about NBA positive tests but haven't heard if they are really sick or if they're doing ok. Not related to the NBA, but my DH keeps trying to work at a very large facility whose workers keep testing positive so they go home, feel fine, tested every few days afterward until they get 2 negatives in a row, then they go back to work. The word there is they're wondering about false positives. Unless every single person who works there is a symptomatic....nobody has actually been "sick" yet. So I just got to wondering about the NBA and how all of the positive players are doing (hopefully ok!!).

So, in other words, we're positive, but we're still coming to Orlando!! :sad2:
The entire team isn’t. Likely someone on the team or as part of personnel is. I haven’t heard yet as I am in Milwaukee. That said the practice facilities were very limited. The entire team was not practicing together so it’s not likely they came in direct contact with many others if any others.

Has anyone heard reports if any of these players are sick as in hospitalized? I keep hearing about NBA positive tests but haven't heard if they are really sick or if they're doing ok. Not related to the NBA, but my DH keeps trying to work at a very large facility whose workers keep testing positive so they go home, feel fine, tested every few days afterward until they get 2 negatives in a row, then they go back to work. The word there is they're wondering about false positives. Unless every single person who works there is a symptomatic....nobody has actually been "sick" yet. So I just got to wondering about the NBA and how all of the positive players are doing.
To my knowledge nobody has been hospitalized.

Reactions: TJA
Has anyone heard reports if any of these players are sick as in hospitalized? I keep hearing about NBA positive tests but haven't heard if they are really sick or if they're doing ok. Not related to the NBA, but my DH keeps trying to work at a very large facility whose workers keep testing positive so they go home, feel fine, tested every few days afterward until they get 2 negatives in a row, then they go back to work. The word there is they're wondering about false positives. Unless every single person who works there is a symptomatic....nobody has actually been "sick" yet. So I just got to wondering about the NBA and how all of the positive players are doing (hopefully ok!!).

I am under the impression false positives are very very very rare, when it comes to Covid....if anything, false negatives are much more common.

It’s not an uncommon story in the coronavirus outbreak. Coronavirus tests have roughly a 70% accuracy rate, with about 30% of the tests producing a false-negative result, say experts such as Dr. Jana Broadhurst, a doctor and microbiologist for the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

False-positives aren’t generally problem because the tests are looking for viral RNA, experts say. But the tests can result in a false negative if the test is administered too early in the illness before there’s enough viral RNA to be detected or if a bad test sample is submitted.

But false positive test results — meaning a result that incorrectly reports the subject is infected with COVID-19 — are so rare that they approach a 0% rate, said state epidemiologist Dr. Benjamin Chan.

“We have not seen any significant reports of false positives,” Chan told the New Hampshire Union Leader. “We don’t think that is likely to happen; it’s not common at all.”

So...maaaaaaaaybe someone at your husband's workplace had a false positive. But it would be incredibly rare, and it's highly doubtful that multiple people have false positives.

The entire team isn’t. Likely someone on the team or as part of personnel is. I haven’t heard yet as I am in Milwaukee. That said the practice facilities were very limited. The entire team was not practicing together so it’s not likely they came in direct contact with many others if any others.
I know the entire team isn't, Ryan. But they have still been exposed by more than one case. They have shut down facilities in Milwaukee.

I am under the impression false positives are very very very rare, when it comes to Covid....if anything, false negatives are much more common.

It’s not an uncommon story in the coronavirus outbreak. Coronavirus tests have roughly a 70% accuracy rate, with about 30% of the tests producing a false-negative result, say experts such as Dr. Jana Broadhurst, a doctor and microbiologist for the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

False-positives aren’t generally problem because the tests are looking for viral RNA, experts say. But the tests can result in a false negative if the test is administered too early in the illness before there’s enough viral RNA to be detected or if a bad test sample is submitted.

But false positive test results — meaning a result that incorrectly reports the subject is infected with COVID-19 — are so rare that they approach a 0% rate, said state epidemiologist Dr. Benjamin Chan.

“We have not seen any significant reports of false positives,” Chan told the New Hampshire Union Leader. “We don’t think that is likely to happen; it’s not common at all.”

So...maaaaaaaaybe someone at your husband's workplace had a false positive. But it would be incredibly rare, and it's highly doubtful that multiple people have false positives.
I understand what your saying, but the tests do have quite a few false positives. You could test positive, but have a different strand resulting in a positive result. Similar to a flu test, many different strands all resulting in a positive.

I have so many thoughts about this whole situation:

1) With the positive rate of tests being in the 5-10-15% range, depending on location...it's not that unusual that someone would test positive. Now, if it's multiple people and/or an outbreak, yes, that's a problem. I think when people hear that a facility is shut down, the assume it's worst case scenario.

2) That said, it is interesting that this is such a pervasive situation that is affecting many teams. MLS didn't have this issue. Yes, people tested positive after getting to Orlando. And a couple of teams do seem to have an outbreak on their hands. But, it wasn't like multiple MLS teams were shutting down their facilities prior to coming, because of positive testing. Are MLS players more careful than NBA players? I can't say. Are NBA players more reckless than MLS players? Also can't say. BUT...if the cause of all these positive tests is partying/going out/protesting....if they aren't careful at home, who is to say they will be careful in Orlando?

3) I do find it interesting that one of the teams that have not shut down yet is the Orlando Magic. And they are in the thick of a major hotspot. So...if all is well with them, that would be kind of a miracle. It would also show that it IS possible to avoid the virus if you are extremely conscientious and cautious.

4) Lastly, if the NBA were to cancel last minute...OR maybe get a few games in and have a massive outbreak and shut things down.....what does that mean for WDW? Does that make Disney more likely to shut things down again?

I did see a report that Rudy Gobert, who was the first player to test positive in March (and immediately led to the league shutting down) has not fully recovered from all of his symptoms, particularly not fully regaining his sense of smell yet.

I don't know that we know how big of a deal the closing of the practice facilities is at this point. I mean, we know the numbers of players and staff testing positive, so it's not that high, and the NBA said they were expecting positive tests. Given how close we are to the teams arriving in Orlando, the closing of the facilities could just be out of an abundance of caution, i.e., there's a single positive there so why even risk it. Now that the testing has begun, and will continue going forward, coupled with the quarantining prior to and upon arrival in Orlando, I understand not risking at this stage of the process. Come a week from now, after all of the testing and quarantining, it should, theoretically, be much safer to start practicing, etc.

I have so many thoughts about this whole situation:

1) With the positive rate of tests being in the 5-10-15% range, depending on location...it's not that unusual that someone would test positive. Now, if it's multiple people and/or an outbreak, yes, that's a problem. I think when people hear that a facility is shut down, the assume it's worst case scenario.

2) That said, it is interesting that this is such a pervasive situation that is affecting many teams. MLS didn't have this issue. Yes, people tested positive after getting to Orlando. And a couple of teams do seem to have an outbreak on their hands. But, it wasn't like multiple MLS teams were shutting down their facilities prior to coming, because of positive testing. Are MLS players more careful than NBA players? I can't say. Are NBA players more reckless than MLS players? Also can't say. BUT...if the cause of all these positive tests is partying/going out/protesting....if they aren't careful at home, who is to say they will be careful in Orlando?

3) I do find it interesting that one of the teams that have not shut down yet is the Orlando Magic. And they are in the thick of a major hotspot. So...if all is well with them, that would be kind of a miracle. It would also show that it IS possible to avoid the virus if you are extremely conscientious and cautious.

4) Lastly, if the NBA were to cancel last minute...OR maybe get a few games in and have a massive outbreak and shut things down.....what does that mean for WDW? Does that make Disney more likely to shut things down again?

You make a lot of assumptions here. Why does everyone assume these grown men are so irresponsible? Perhaps they got it at their practice facility. Or a gym. Or at a grocery store. Or volunteering at a food bank. Or going to a place of worship. Or perhaps their spouse had it and was asymptomatic. There are a lot of asymptomatic people walking around everywhere in our communities. Why is it always "partying" and "protesting"? I know many people who had the virus and they didn't get it by partying and protesting.

No hospitilizations but on the baseball side, Freedie Freeman of the atlanta braves has it and he is having a rough time with it. Not enough to go to the hospital but not an easy time either. His wife's comment was "it hit like a ton of bricks" and this is a guy who is in great shape.

Two Brewers players have tested positive, but they are both asymptomatic. They are not included in the 31 confirmed cases count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter