New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

The Papenburg tourism office has a list of new ships being built. There they have the first Disney ship for Spring 2021, the second for 2022 and the third for fall 2023.

https://www.papenburg-marketing.de/DE/Welt-der-Schiffe/Meyer-Werft_Neubauten.php

They have a close working relationship with Meyer Werft (they sell the tickets for the tours as well as plenty of souvenirs), so their info should be correct. However, who knows how good they are at updating in case timelines change.
Go figure, the one I'm most interested in just has the year, no Season.

The Papenburg tourism office has a list of new ships being built. There they have the first Disney ship for Spring 2021, the second for 2022 and the third for fall 2023.

https://www.papenburg-marketing.de/DE/Welt-der-Schiffe/Meyer-Werft_Neubauten.php

They have a close working relationship with Meyer Werft (they sell the tickets for the tours as well as plenty of souvenirs), so their info should be correct. However, who knows how good they are at updating in case timelines change.

Given Meyer Werft themselves have changed the apparent timelines, it's likely that Papenburg's information is out of date.

Given Meyer Werft themselves have changed the apparent timelines, it's likely that Papenburg's information is out of date.

I was looking for the Meyer Werft timeline that’s how I found the tourist office website. Where is the info about the changed timeline? Since I am German I was thinking I could look for info in German that might be more clear in wording.

That would be slightly more recent than the order book, which was published in Nov 2018. Unfortunately, "second half" could be anywhere from roughly June 1st-Dec 31st.

If there using Jan 1st as the start. Theres several organizations that use Oct 1st as there start point for fiscal years. Disney is 1 of them. Most municipalities use Oct 1st as there fiscal year also. It goes right back to what we were discussing. What MW and DCL are using as there start point.

Personally I think well have an answer in August when D23 is. If not slightly before it.

If there using Jan 1st as the start. Theres several organizations that use Oct 1st as there start point for fiscal years. Disney is 1 of them. Most municipalities use Oct 1st as there fiscal year also. It goes right back to what we were discussing. What MW and DCL are using as there start point.

Personally I think well have an answer in August when D23 is. If not slightly before it.

Looking at the previous schedules in the older newsletters (where you can see which ships were planned for when) and from German usage of business years, I am very confident that 2021 means 1/1/21 to 12/31/2021. In Germany using a business year that is not the same as the calendar year is very unusual.

Disney might announce the ship name and start offering sailing dates in july, otherwise they will be completely behind a majority of other cruise lines in terms of bookings

They are always behind the majority of other cruise lines in terms of booking simply based on scale/size of fleet. They are also always behind chronologically because they choose not to release as far ahead as other lines.

Disney might announce the ship name and start offering sailing dates in july, otherwise they will be completely behind a majority of other cruise lines in terms of bookings

It all depends on when DCL plans the Maidens, which is what several of us have talked about. Traditionally, the ships all debut between Jan and April of the year they were announced. The Dream for example was Feb of 2011. Her maiden was in Feb of 11. The Magic was supposed to debut in Jan of 98 but due to unforeseen issues with a ship 2nd inline in front of her her debut was pushed to July of 98. The Fantasy was announced for Spring of 12 and her maiden was March of 12.

So whenever DCL makes the announcement, it should be roughly 18 months from the steel cut to her maiden. If the maiden is planned for Jan of 21, then we can expect first steel cut sometime between now and August. if its later in the year or say Feb of 22, then the announcement could be as late as a year from now. I'm thinking as well as some of us, we should know by D23 in August of this year. Either there will be a separate announcement before then, or theyll announce something there.

Disney is always behind the other lines for 1 reason or another. Whether it's a lack of ships or poor management take your pick. The other lines have all done things that DCL says we cant do or takes forever to do. The industry standard is to try small ships then medium ships then large ships as demand grows while adding ships. DCL has had plenty of opportunities to do the things that the other lines have long ago figured out. They simply havent. For example. Carnival Princess Royal to ame a few, all have 7 day trips from Miami to the southern Carribean. What did Disney do when they went to Miami? Nassau and CC. 3s and 4s. And kept doing it. To me its baffling, since reading this forum and others that people are jumping ship not just because of price but itins to other lines. I know for a fact that DCL reads these forums since I had at least 1 customer service.rep tell me that, and a second actually respond to my post in a very negative way.

Last edited:
Looking at the previous schedules in the older newsletters (where you can see which ships were planned for when) and from German usage of business years, I am very confident that 2021 means 1/1/21 to 12/31/2021. In Germany using a business year that is not the same as the calendar year is very unusual.

Gotcha. I'm somewhat limited as I'm working off my phone. My laptop is acting up and havent decided if I can fix it or replace it yet

Last edited:
I wonder if Disney will time the maiden voyage with the WDW 50th anniversary which would be Oct. 2021? Only time will tell.

When the itineraries for the new ships are ready to be released, will they have their own release date, or will they be released the same day as the other itineraries.

When the itineraries for the new ships are ready to be released, will they have their own release date, or will they be released the same day as the other itineraries.

The initial release will likely be a separate date since the announcement may not coincide with a normal release. It is possible that DCL may try to line them up but a lot will depend on when the ship is actually ready to start sailing.

How about Indian food with a Jungle Book theme? I surprised myself because I loved Disney's remake. Oh, no snakes in the decor, though.
One of the pleasant little secrets of DCL is that you can order some pretty tasty 'off menu' Indian food. You can only choose 'meat' or 'vegetarian' but we've had saag paneer, various curries, and a very nice fiery vindaloo. Essential for surviving longer cruises when the thought of yet another underspiced meal makes you want to run screaming off the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter