October 2010 Car Rentals

No, I checked Alamo *smacks forehead*

Maybe I'll check National out tonight and see if I can do better than my $235 (compact) for 10/6 - 10/17.

All for Alamo is "coupon not valid" for anything I put in. Isn't National & alamo sister companies?

so im told especially, at MCO, they tend to be a breeze to deal with:thumbsup2 vs alamo who tends to make me produce affinity cards (AAA) and coupons even when having a master rental agreement on file.

you probably won't do better w/alamo this late, unless you add an upgrade coupon, google & a bunch will probably pop up;)

Always use Alamo, and prefer them -but had to change my trip info for a Oct 21-25 trip, and can't get anything less than $220 for a compact round-trip for MCO. I get all of the "coupon not valid" or "capacity reached" for every code and coupon I can find. Tried National too. So I looked around and found a Budget compact for $157. I've never used Budget and am a little nervous about it, but I suppose for the savings it's worth a try. What is going on with Alamo anyway?

I keep getting the same Alamo "coupon not valid" message too for an end of October trip. Really annoying!

Right now I booked with Budget, first time, but I'm trying to do WAY better than what I have. Found a decent deal with Hertz/AAA but can't find my AAA card right now to book. What's in the world is going on with Rental cars??

My DH pointed out to me yesterday that since we are flying into Tampa, we will potentially be flying in right before the World Series games start...which could potentially be in Tampa. :headache::headache:

It's tentatively scheduled to start on Oct 27th. *sigh*

So I looked around and found a Budget compact for $157. I've never used Budget and am a little nervous about it, but I suppose for the savings it's worth a try. What is going on with Alamo anyway?

Where did you get the deal for Budget? Still coming up around $250 for compact.

I used a Costco code, although it only seems to work for some pick up times/dates and not others. It was W852849.

Do you have to prove a Costco membership? I am a BJs member not Costco. Will I need to show anything if I rent under this code?

Do you have to prove a Costco membership? I am a BJs member not Costco. Will I need to show anything if I rent under this code?

Yes, the other times that I used these codes, I had to show my membership card. Of course there may be a time when they don't ask, but I wouldn't want to take that chance and risk paying a higher price because I didn't have the card.

Thanks, Found a great BJs code for Dollar. $260 for Full size, 7 days. I'm sticking with this right now.

Hallelujah!

Dollar just extended its discounts from Sept. 30 to Oct. 31, and I was able to get a 14-day rental (Compact) for a "mere" $371. Which is at least $100 more than I usually spend but is far less than the $500–$800 I've been looking at for the last month.

Here's the discount—it's a North Florida promotion for a Compact at $139/week: http://www.dollar.com/specials/featured/2nflm.aspx

Hallelujah!

Dollar just extended its discounts from Sept. 30 to Oct. 31, and I was able to get a 14-day rental (Compact) for a "mere" $371. Which is at least $100 more than I usually spend but is far less than the $500–$800 I've been looking at for the last month.

Here's the discount—it's a North Florida promotion for a Compact at $139/week: http://www.dollar.com/specials/featured/2nflm.aspx

Man, that is a steal if you need a car in October. However, they really cream you with all the extra fees and taxes.

Hallelujah!

Thanks for the info!
Wanted a minivan, took a full size for 363.46 including fees for 9 days (cheapest I could find)
Saw your posting as soon as I saw my neighbor pulling in his driveway with his company work car (ford focus 4 door) I went racing over pushing our double jogging stroller. (man thought I was crazy) Popped all 3 wheels off folded it up and it fit perfectly in the trunk. Now we have a compact for 9 days at 274.53 with fees.
works out to be about $20 per day before fees. tried to priceline a compact for $15 per day and bid was not accepted.

Hallelujah!

THANK YOU!!!!! Boy, I was freaking out over these rates that I was getting before seeing your post. :worship: Thanks again!

Saw your posting as soon as I saw my neighbor pulling in his driveway with his company work car (ford focus 4 door) I went racing over pushing our double jogging stroller. (man thought I was crazy) Popped all 3 wheels off folded it up and it fit perfectly in the trunk.

:rotfl2: What an image! And what a great idea to measure!

THANK YOU!!!!! Boy, I was freaking out over these rates that I was getting before seeing your post. :worship: Thanks again!

No problem—I was SO frustrated before this, so I definitely wanted to spread the good news!

I have rented using the Costco codes at least 10 times and although I am a member (and employee) I have never been asked for my membership card. You can print the applicable coupon when you book and that is all that I have ever presented at the counter.

I sometimes use the self check-in kiosks and go straight from the kiosk to the car and out the gate so a membership card wouldn't be an issue at all.

Gina

Thanks for the info!
Wanted a minivan, took a full size for 363.46 including fees for 9 days (cheapest I could find)
Saw your posting as soon as I saw my neighbor pulling in his driveway with his company work car (ford focus 4 door) I went racing over pushing our double jogging stroller. (man thought I was crazy) Popped all 3 wheels off folded it up and it fit perfectly in the trunk. Now we have a compact for 9 days at 274.53 with fees.
works out to be about $20 per day before fees. tried to priceline a compact for $15 per day and bid was not accepted.

Can I ask where your luggage will fit? I am nervous about a single stroller in a compact with 1 child and 3 adults plus luggage. I realize it's only to and from airport that this will be an issue. Still nervous.

Just booked a mid-size from budget from 10/21 - 10/31 for $235, including all taxes and fees. The full-size was $273 total. This was by booking on Southwest.com, there is an ad for 30% of budget, plus 5x rapid rewards credits. Booking through the budget website is still >$500 (???why). We had $290 from Dollar, for a midsize, which I had booked many months ago. Never saw it that low again. So i'm happy with $235 for 10 days... Will probably still try priceline within the next week though, always looking for a better deal. :)

Can I ask where your luggage will fit? I am nervous about a single stroller in a compact with 1 child and 3 adults plus luggage. I realize it's only to and from airport that this will be an issue. Still nervous.

Our stroller is actually a schwin PR150 bike stroller that can be made into a regular stroller, bike pull behind, or a jogging stroller. You pop all 3 wheels off and it folds up pretty flat.
I am trying to fit everything into 2 checked bags, 2 carry ons (one costumes, one our must haves) and a backback.

I have in the past stopped at a car dealership and asked a salesperson to look at the back seat leg room of small trucks (s10 size)when DH was looking for a new work truck.
try that and take your stroller along.

Just booked a mid-size from budget from 10/21 - 10/31 for $235, including all taxes and fees. The full-size was $273 total. This was by booking on Southwest.com, there is an ad for 30% of budget, plus 5x rapid rewards credits. Booking through the budget website is still >$500 (???why). We had $290 from Dollar, for a midsize, which I had booked many months ago. Never saw it that low again. So i'm happy with $235 for 10 days... Will probably still try priceline within the next week though, always looking for a better deal. :)

Midsize says 2 or 4 door, went with the compact for $205 total to guarantee the 4 doors.
thanks for the info saved us $70.

Anyone know if the Budget car reservation booked through Southwest is cancellable if I get something better on priceline?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter