Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by dancingtodisney, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jeanigor

jeanigor DIS Veteran

flav likes this.
  2. CP3uhoh

CP3uhoh Mouseketeer

THANK YOU....I didn't do it right away because it said you would be "Leaving the site"

flav likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. croach

croach DIS Veteran

This probably gets discussed every time and I'm just not remembering but I'm not quite sure I understand why they back load the corrals so much. Guess they have their reasons and I know zero about race logistics but having more people in the last two corrals than the in the first five is odd.

5. CP3uhoh

CP3uhoh Mouseketeer

I was in H last year for the half, doesn't even exist this year. (NO POT) C this year, missed B by 3 minutes, but should work out well and let me break that 2 hour barrier on the half this year.

6. apdebord

apdebord Mouseketeer

E for the challenge. DH got A, but he will fall back to pace me. I'm pleased, only had 1 race to submit for POT and my training strategy for that was "I'll just wing it"

AbbyJaws2003 and jennamfeo like this.
  7. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

They don't actually back load the corrals - they corral based on estimated finish times. There are simply more folks registered with slower finish times than faster times. And the last corral houses all with 3:01-3:30 finish times plus those who entered a faster time but didn't supply PoT.

AbbyJaws2003 likes this.
  8. mrsg00fy

mrsg00fy DIS Veteran

You called it! And....thank you.

flav, AbbyJaws2003 and ematulis81 like this.
  9. croach

croach DIS Veteran

That's kind of just saying it a different way right? :) Still pushing a lot more people to the back instead of spreading them out through the other corrals. They have control over the times that go into each corral so they are in essence back loading them. I mean it's not important and they do use the mini waves so that's like a bunch of little corrals. Just seems odd.

10. jennamfeo

jennamfeo Earning My Ears

Corral D, but I am not mad about it. I think I am usually in E. The first Half I did at DL I was in J or something absurd. Glad to see some progression. Haha.

AbbyJaws2003 likes this.
  11. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

But that would put more people of a wider span of paces together - I think they're trying to avoid that for safety. Better to have smaller pace ranges per corral? IDK, but it works!

kbenson13 and croach like this.
  12. jennamfeo

jennamfeo Earning My Ears

I already have a problem dodging people at the start of the race...

kbenson13 likes this.
  13. sunshine girl

sunshine girl DIS Veteran

Weirdly, I am in one corral behind where I should be based on my POT and estimated finish. I am in corral E, but my POT would put me very squarely in D. I don't really care, but it is mysterious!

14. Dis_Yoda

Dis_Yoda DIS Veteran

My husband is in B. No idea for me with the 10k though

15. DOOM1001

DOOM1001 DIS Veteran

I'm in C but quite honestly I think I'm too far up for how undertrained I am.I'm probably going to finish between 2:30 and 2:40,I might bump myself back to D or E.

16. lisatav

lisatav Mouseketeer

So, of course, my friends who run together, one forgot to submit POT so she's 9000 but runs a 9-minute mile. I'm nervous for her that she's going to have a bad experience now. I tried to warn them. The other submitted time and got C... You can only lead a horse to water right?

Eeyores#1Fan, roxymama and bcarey2k like this.
  17. bcarey2k

bcarey2k DIS Veteran

Embrace the extra time and make a few extra photo stops!

dmross and roxymama like this.
  18. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

Just my humble opinion. Stay in C. Hang towards the way back and the right side so people can pass you if needed. Then pass or get passed in the beginning. It'll even out as you go.
    A lot of people will be running at a pace slower than their proofs. A lot of people RACE to get their proofs and then run a bit slower during this race due to a number of circumstances (on vacation, been on their feet all day for days, stopping for characters, running with family.) Just be aware the people around you.
    I maybe wouldn't give that same advise if you were like in A and running a much slower pace. But I think C you'll be ok.
    And a lot of people will be slowing and speeding up throughout the whole race because of character stops too.

dmross, MRL214, flav and 1 other person like this.
  19. lovingeire

lovingeire DIS Veteran

I'm in F and was for Dark Side as well. There were just a lot of people there. And we thought we were at the front, but it was really the side so that was a little confusing. But I think we ended up starting in the second wave. I never saw the balloon ladies or the bike pacers at all...and I was super slow due to running on a stress fracture. (Not my wisest choice, but now I have knee issues and will still be out there so...)

20. fatmanatee

fatmanatee Earning My Ears

It's time and safety. My guess is that most people fit into that time bucket for the last two corrals and it wouldn't make sense to space it out. Those last two buckets will also space themselves out a bit over the course of the race.

Also IIRC they split the final buckets into smaller buckets at the Dark Side Half.

21. UNCBear24

UNCBear24 Mouseketeer

Looks like I'm in A. This will be my first RD half only weekend, so I'm excited to start up front.

kbenson13, jennamfeo and Keels like this.