• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Oh NO!!! They're Back Already!!!

Have to say that I am almost excited to be able to experience this whole pumpkin thing when we are there in October! It just isn't a thing in my country, in any form. I mean, I have roast pumpkin with my roast lamb or roast chicken, and I make pumpkin soup, oh and I make a really nice pumpkin risotto. But that is really it - pumpkin spiced stuff is an exciting new world for me!

(We don't even do pumpkin pie. I don't even know what pumpkin pie is! I mean, is it savoury, is it sweet - is it in pastry? I have NO idea!!!)

Felecis, Just be warned that most pre-made pumpkin pies in stores, and many restaurants, is, well... not that good.
Some are sweeter and more creamy... Some are more pumpkin and nutmeg/clove...
Come to think of it, the latter may be what you prefer, since you use pumkin as a savoury dish/ingredient! Some are sweeter than others. But all are somewhat sweet.

You mentioned making risotto. Do you make pies?
Here is the recipe on the back our Libby's canned pumpkin puree.
It is actually pretty good canned pumpkin if one does not process fresh pie (sugar) pumpkins.

Here is a recipe - based on the Libby's canned pumpkin, has been their recipe since 1950
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
( I then add 1/2 cup brown granulated sugar )
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 ground cloves
( I use about twice as much spice - we can get a blend 'pumpkin pie spice' )
2 large eggs
1 can -15 oz. pure pumpkin
1 can - 12 0z. Evaporated Condensed Milk

I just dump all of this in the blender, milk and eggs (liquid) first.
blend for a couple minutes... It is ready to pour in your pie crust and bake

Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

The sweet whipped cream is a must for me!

Note: It is not the fakey bright orange color you see in the photo above.

I agree it's a bit early for fall harvest themed stuff, but I love pumpkin and will eat it anytime. I eat most food year round and don't really consider anything seasonally off limits unless it's something you only eat fresh, like maybe watermelon. Pumpkin comes in a can, so I keep it in my pantry year round.

Hopefully fake Pumpkin Spice products.

47ec903b2c4a8c1f98430a4098b0ebe4-0.jpg
1440385275002948648.jpg

PS_Vicks2-207x300.jpg
CrR-2n3WcAAst0C.jpg-large.jpeg
Monistat-pumpkin-spice-250x250.png
NEW-PS---shotgun-shells.jpg
230.jpg

1440385272873305128.png

I'd take some coconut boat drink over spiced pumpkin latte anyday. Hoping so hard summer lasts little longer this year.

Have to say that I am almost excited to be able to experience this whole pumpkin thing when we are there in October! It just isn't a thing in my country, in any form. I mean, I have roast pumpkin with my roast lamb or roast chicken, and I make pumpkin soup, oh and I make a really nice pumpkin risotto. But that is really it - pumpkin spiced stuff is an exciting new world for me!

(We don't even do pumpkin pie. I don't even know what pumpkin pie is! I mean, is it savoury, is it sweet - is it in pastry? I have NO idea!!!)

As an Aussie (who doesn't even like pumpkin, although my family tells me I roast it well!) I will say that pumpkin pie is actually delicious! We were in New York for Thanksgiving in 2014 and I have made pumpkin pie the 2 years since.
image.jpeg

Felecis, Just be warned that most pre-made pumpkin pies in stores, and many restaurants, is, well... not that good.
Some are sweeter and more creamy... Some are more pumpkin and nutmeg/clove...
Come to think of it, the latter may be what you prefer, since you use pumkin as a savoury dish/ingredient! Some are sweeter than others. But all are somewhat sweet.

You mentioned making risotto. Do you make pies?
Here is the recipe on the back our Libby's canned pumpkin puree.
It is actually pretty good canned pumpkin if one does not process fresh pie (sugar) pumpkins.

Here is a recipe - based on the Libby's canned pumpkin, has been their recipe since 1950
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
( I then add 1/2 cup brown granulated sugar )
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 ground cloves
( I use about twice as much spice - we can get a blend 'pumpkin pie spice' )
2 large eggs
1 can -15 oz. pure pumpkin
1 can - 12 0z. Evaporated Condensed Milk

I just dump all of this in the blender, milk and eggs (liquid) first.
blend for a couple minutes... It is ready to pour in your pie crust and bake

Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

The sweet whipped cream is a must for me!

Note: It is not the fakey bright orange color you see in the photo above.

Unfortunately I doubt that canned pumpkin is readily available in New Zealand; it isn't here in Australia. Nor are the little sugar pumpkins. While we eat pumpkin year-round it's usually a savoury dish (although roast pumpkin still is fairly sweet on its own). Pumpkin pie will work with kent or butternut pumpkin though!

The only things I like with pumpkin in it are Pumpkin pie with tons of whipped topping and International delight pumpkin spice coffee creamer. I just add a small hint of flavor to my coffee and I'm good. It just warms up the flavor for me without a lot of sweet.

Pumpkin vodka??? Okay that sounds like a fun treat. ONCE. And maybe pumpkin-beef jerky. It does bulk up the flavor a bit in meat - I had to add a bunch of pumpkin pulp to my homemade fruit leather and it was pretty good!

Went to Costco yesterday--Halloween costumes to the right of me and to the left of me was Christmas ribbon, flameless candles and candles that have the small wax refills (like scentsy)-though those scents were fall ones so it was an odd placement next to the Christmass stuff.

But I was surprised not to see more Halloween stuff.

Happy HalloThanksMas!

Unfortunately I doubt that canned pumpkin is readily available in New Zealand; it isn't here in Australia. Nor are the little sugar pumpkins. While we eat pumpkin year-round it's usually a savoury dish (although roast pumpkin still is fairly sweet on its own). Pumpkin pie will work with kent or butternut pumpkin though!

Oh that was going to be my next question, because you are right, we don't have canned pumpkin. If the sugar pumpkins are like the South African gem (I think) ones, we get them. Butternuts are very common.

And you learn something every day - I just assumed that pumpkin pie was a savoury dish, not a sweet one! (Did wonder how whipped cream worked with it...)

Saw the start of decorating for MNNSHP at MK last week. (Displays in store windows on Main St.) They already have some pumpkin flavored food items for sale. MNNSHP starts in 4 days!

I took a photo at Target on July 2nd, of Eggo Pumpkin Spice waffles! They looked delicious, but not on July 2nd!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter