OK DISers. Do you know someone personally that has the Virus?

Do You know someone personally with the Virus?

• yes

Votes: 273 55.3%
  • no

Votes: 203 41.1%
  • other

Votes: 18 3.6%

• Total voters
So I went to my hospital today to get my infusion and heard they had a case. It was a young lady (28). She had come in over the weekend to give birth. She had the symptoms and tested positive and of course is now in isolation. Baby is in it's own isolation.

I felt really bad for this young women. Later this afternoon one of my brothers walked over and as we sat (6 ft apart) in the sun.....he told me about his past student/basketball player who was now in the hospital. It was the same girl. He was so sad about it. She's so bad they are thinking of hooking her up to a ventilator. Her DH and year and a half old sibling wait at home........under quarantine of course. :(

Probably. No testing in Upstate NY right now... so a couple people we know are in the "maybe" category. I thought I was on day 10 of quarantine... now I'm back to day 2 again due to a random chance minor emergency that necessitated leaving the house. Sigh. Until people can get tested, all we can do is wait.

My family is in the middle of a crisis...a close friend has BOTH parents in the hospital with the virus. SEPARATE HOSPITALS. It was the only way they could get beds. His mother is not expected to make it through the night. The hospitals are not allowing the him to go up to be with his dying mother or to go be with his sick father and tell him what is happening.

I can't even begin to imagine. And as I sit here 500 miles away from my family, all of whom are in New York in the middle of the hot zone, it occured to me if...when...they get sick there is no way for me to go be with them.

A good friend of mine in California believes he had it go through his household over the past 2 weeks. They are in one of the harder hit areas of Los Angeles. He got it first- had a fever, bad headache, a dry chest cough, some shortness of breath, terrible fatigue, and a loss of taste/smell (that still hasn't come back fully). A few days later, both of his kids came down with a low-grade fever for 24 hours or so, but then essentially that was it for them. His wife had symptoms starting on Friday, and is just starting to come out of it now. Her symptoms were much like his, but with more coughing, less shortness of breath, and no headache, but a sore throat. Apparently she cant taste or smell anything at all. Both he and his wife spoke with their physicians at the point where the docs said "if it gets any worse than this, go to the ER." And for both of them, the next day is when it started to turn the corner.

I have a friend in London who's sick with it right now. Her DH got it first. They have no idea where he caught it from...probably community spread. Then she and their 3 kids got it (kids are all young adults). None have needed hospitalization. But she said it hasn't been fun. Fever, very tired, feeling really lousy. Her DH is now better, so she thinks in a day or 2 she'll come around, too.

I don’t know anyone personally, but it’s creeping closer. A co-worker of my brother-in-law tested positive. His company emailed people with a list of who had close contact with him and my brother-in-law wasn’t on it, but this is way too close for comfort now and has put me even more on edge.

I am getting more angry by the day at people who think they’re invincible or that this is no big deal.

Someone I interacted with at work presumably has it (been very sick, but not sick enough to warrant testing) but I haven't been told who it is though (I have a hunch, since he's been totally absent online since we started working from home). It's been two weeks since I went into the office so I'm in the clear.

I'm guessing a friend of mine, a surgeon who's shifted to COVID-19 patients, will also end up with it. He's in a hospital currently getting clobbered by this.

Yes, I know 2 for sure. One in Quartine and one in the hospital with covid double pneumonia. The one in the hospital has been sick for a week and has a husband and 4 daughters. She is mid forties and otherwise completely healthy. Her husband and 4 girls all are at home and feel sick now as well. I'm in Indiana.

My family is in the middle of a crisis...a close friend has BOTH parents in the hospital with the virus. SEPARATE HOSPITALS. It was the only way they could get beds. His mother is not expected to make it through the night. The hospitals are not allowing the him to go up to be with his dying mother or to go be with his sick father and tell him what is happening.
I am so sorry for your friend and parents. I will be praying. We live in NYC and we are seeing it everywhere. So grateful that we all get to work and school from home. Praying for everyone that has to go to work throughout all of this.

A friend just tested positive for COVID-19. She is asymptomatic but was offered a test because four people from a small party she attended had tested positive. The good news is that only one person, out of these five, has experienced fever and coughing. The other four are asymptomatic. Their age is ranging from 40-60.
Her husband and teen son did not attend this party and therefore were not offered a test. They are presumed to be positive and will be quarantined for 2 weeks. They are also asymptomatic.

Some relatives of a friend of mine have it. They live in VT. One of them...an older guy with preexisting health problems, is in really bad shape and was transferred from their small local hospital to a bigger one in Burlington. He's now intubated and in very bad shape. His adult son...who's in his 40s...has had it now for almost 2 weeks, 103 fever for 8 days, short of breath, has been to the local ER but told he's not bad enough yet to be admitted. Others in their family in the area also all have symptoms. I just read that the state of VT has closed all schools through the end of the school year...into June!

My cousin was taken off life support yesterday and passed. His sister said that he tested positive for covid. It's gut wrenching. He had just turned 55. He leaves behind 5 children, the two youngest in their early teens.
My husband's boss has been on a vent for most of this week. His wife said yesterday that they had lowered his vent settings and he was tolerating it, so I'm hopeful that he is starting to recover. He's 47 and had no preexisting conditions that I know of, a fit guy prior to this.
Stay home if you can. I'm as guilty as anyone else for thinking this wasn't that serious in the beginning, comparing it to a bad flu season. But it's much so much worse.

Last edited:
Yes. My brother spent 6 days in critical care. Thankfully he is home now and in quarantine and feeling better
In early February my kids and I were sick. Fevers, 4 days of completely unable to do anything. Just weary bodies and flu like symptoms. Then Dx with pneumonia. 2 rounds of antibiotics. 2 weeks of dry cough. Nausea/lack of appetite./loose bowels. At the time there was no testing available. We tested neg for flu, strep, and nothing popped on a full respiratory virus panel. We believe we all had it at that time.

My cousin was taken off life support yesterday and passed. His sister said that he tested positive for covid. It's gut wrenching. He had just turned 60. He leaves behind 5 children, the two youngest in their early teens.
My husband's boss has been on a vent for most of this week. His wife said yesterday that they had lowered his vent settings and he was tolerating it, so I'm hopeful that he is starting to recover. He's 47 and had no preexisting conditions that I know of, a fit guy prior to this.
Stay home if you can. I'm as guilty as anyone else for thinking this wasn't that serious in the beginning, comparing it to a bad flu season. But it's much so much worse.

So sorry. :hug:

I don't think enough testing is going on to get too many yes answers because the yes implies a positive test AND it also requires that friends or loved ones would willingly share the fact they are positive, which I suspect is very very unlikely.

I'm really sad for people struggling right now

My cousin was taken off life support yesterday and passed. His sister said that he tested positive for covid. It's gut wrenching. He had just turned 60. He leaves behind 5 children, the two youngest in their early teens.

I am so so sorry for the loss of your cousin. Our prayers are with you family!

Yes A neighbors daughter and son in law in Spain tested positive. They are home and have 2 little ones they are caring for. Another friend's grandson has it but is not hospitalized. I feel the same as LuvOrlando, I feel for those struggling right now and trying to handle things while keeping a distance. Many people cannot not be with sick loved ones and the separation is agonzing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter