Paid FP options coming soon to WDW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm okay paying if it is something that prices the majority of people out and therefore is a real advantage. For instance, we are staying CL and taking advantage of the extra FP's in December. This is a real benefit because the majority of people do not spend money to do this, and therefore is a real advantage for us to book tierless FP's to multiple parks per day. If too many people could afford it, there would be too many people in the FP line, and you may as well just do standby and not waste your money.
We also purchase the CL FP+ and it's a game changer for sure. We have done it on our last 2 trips and doing it again in a few weeks. I know there is the refresh option but being able to book multiple tier 1 rides especially in HS makes all the difference. I for one am looking forward to the paid option if it becomes reality. I just hope they do offer different packages maybe 3 for $50, 5 for $100 etc. But better if they have no time restrictions. Time will tell!

I've skipped the last bit, so maybe this has already been discussed, but, I got thinking the other night... does anyone see this as a step towards almost an inverse set up in the future:

As in, eventually we'll be back to where we started: you paid for admission, and then paid for each ride. So, I could see Disney marketing it as, "Your theme park ticket gives you access to all entertainment (shows, fireworks etc...) free, PLUS your choice of 3 rides! Then, only pay for the rides you want!"

Oh, you'll have that option, but it'll mostly be before and after hours events. I see no reason they can't charge $349 per person for an extra 2 hours. That's only $1396.00 for a family of 4. Pocket change for most Disney fans.

Pocket change for most DISBoard members perhaps, who are nothing more than a small minority of Disney guests. Definitely not pocket change for most Disney guests.

I've skipped the last bit, so maybe this has already been discussed, but, I got thinking the other night... does anyone see this as a step towards almost an inverse set up in the future:

As in, eventually we'll be back to where we started: you paid for admission, and then paid for each ride. So, I could see Disney marketing it as, "Your theme park ticket gives you access to all entertainment (shows, fireworks etc...) free, PLUS your choice of 3 rides! Then, only pay for the rides you want!"
Personally I can't see them going this way. Many people enjoy Disney, Universal and other parks because you only need to pay once and don't need to keep pulling out your wallet. While very few things would turn me away from Disney, paying for individual rides would be one of those things that would cause me to look elsewhere.

Oh, you'll have that option, but it'll mostly be before and after hours events. I see no reason they can't charge $349 per person for an extra 2 hours. That's only $1396.00 for a family of 4. Pocket change for most Disney fans.

Pocket change for most DISBoard members perhaps, who are nothing more than a small minority of Disney guests. Definitely not pocket change for most Disney guests.

WOW!! I'm not sure where you live or what you do but $349/person for 2 hours of entertainment is out of budget for every single family I can think of with the exception of probably only 1 family!!!!

WOW!! I'm not sure where you live or what you do but $349/person for 2 hours of entertainment is out of budget for every single family I can think of with the exception of probably only 1 family!!!!

I agree, that to say $349/per person for 2 hours is pocket change for most Disney fans is a ridiculous statement, that I can only hope was said in jest. I know there are many on this board, for whom it is definitely doable, but in the "real world" outside of here... not so much.

Not so bad of an idea. There are a lot of rides we don't go on because either we can't (thanks to back and neck problems) or we just don't like them.

But, what would I see Disney doing is keeping ticket prices the same, and then making you pay for the rides you want! :crazy2:

I assume this is sarcasm? While I will pay for upcharges, even that gives me pause. I could split a VIP tour with another family for that price.

The wdwnt article on the new version of the MDE app make it sound like the app is putting upcharge options front and center. There seems to be pretty consistent movement in this direction. There would be all sorts of negative press if ticket prices crossed $200 a day, but they can move toward $300 for those with more disposable income ($129 ticket in peak season + $79 for EMM + $69 fireworks dessert party). I think some paid FP are inevitable, but only time will tell.

Reminds me too much of a state or county fair. Would probably be the end of our trips.

I agree, that to say $349/per person for 2 hours is pocket change for most Disney fans is a ridiculous statement, that I can only hope was said in jest. I know there are many on this board, for whom it is definitely doable, but in the "real world" outside of here... not so much.

It’s doable for my family, but goes against all of my common sense and principles. I’m a cheapskate in every way other than Disney, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

As much as it pains me to say it I doubt we will get APs after these expire. We will be losing my full time income once my kid goes to middle school. There’s a big world out there to see where they don’t force you to “keep up with the Joneses” on every vacation.

We will definitely not renew when ours expire. Not only because of $$. Need a break for at least a year or two. With DVC have to plan ahead, and stuff happens as we age and are responsible for parents’ care.

The wdwnt article on the new version of the MDE app make it sound like the app is putting upcharge options front and center. There seems to be pretty consistent movement in this direction. There would be all sorts of negative press if ticket prices crossed $200 a day, but they can move toward $300 for those with more disposable income ($129 ticket in peak season + $79 for EMM + $69 fireworks dessert party). I think some paid FP are inevitable, but only time will tell.
It’s doable for my family, but goes against all of my common sense and principles. I’m a cheapskate in every way other than Disney, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

As much as it pains me to say it I doubt we will get APs after these expire. We will be losing my full time income once my kid goes to middle school. There’s a big world out there to see where they don’t force you to “keep up with the Joneses” on every vacation.

I don’t see it as “keeping up with the Joneses”.

A WDW vacation is an absolutely ludicrous price no matter how you slice it. I already know I’m forking over an insane amount of money for the value. In mid-September, low season, (although maybe not so low this year), I’m spending $1350 for two people to spend 3 nights at the Beach Club with dining. That’s AFTER my 40% military room discount. My 4 day military salute park hopper tickets are another $480 for two people. Add in additional costs for Food and Wine Festival purchases outside of our dining plan allotments, and I’m now up over $2000 for 3 days/4 nights, JUST FOR THE WDW PORTION OF OUR TRIP FOR 2 PEOPLE. That’s not including $600-800 in airfare. I spent less on a week long Northern European cruise with my Mom.

I’m not complaining, I knew what I was getting into when I booked this. As you can see from my siggy, we’re no strangers to Orlando vacations. When you get up into the $2000 range for half a week, what’s another couple hundred on FP’s if need be? That isn’t going to break me. I do understand that it may break people trying to plan on a budget, but quite frankly, nothing about a WDW vacation is budget friendly.

A WDW vacation is an absolutely ludicrous price no matter how you slice it. I already know I’m forking over an insane amount of money for the value. In mid-September, low season, (although maybe not so low this year), I’m spending $1350 for two people to spend 3 nights at the Beach Club with dining. That’s AFTER my 40% military room discount. My 4 day military salute park hopper tickets are another $480 for two people. Add in additional costs for Food and Wine Festival purchases outside of our dining plan allotments, and I’m now up over $2000 for 3 days/4 nights, JUST FOR THE WDW PORTION OF OUR TRIP FOR 2 PEOPLE. That’s not including $600-800 in airfare. I spent less on a week long Northern European cruise with my Mom.

I’m not complaining, I knew what I was getting into when I booked this. As you can see from my siggy, we’re no strangers to Orlando vacations. When you get up into the $2000 range for half a week, what’s another couple hundred on FP’s if need be? That isn’t going to break me. I do understand that it may break people trying to plan on a budget, but quite frankly, nothing about a WDW vacation is budget friendly.

Look I get it. I am a sucker for dessert parties and early morning Magic and after hours events. The thing that bugs me is I pay for all of those things, stay onsite, have APs and can roll through a ton of FPs every day for no additional cost. If they make us pay for them I will cut costs elsewhere. I won’t shop or book character meals or stay deluxe.

Everyone has their own idea of a budget. I don’t really go in with a set one, but I won’t add on more expenses. I’ll make a trade off.

I realize people have different limits. I never said otherwise.

You've said this often. You don't mind the price, you are fine to pay for fast passes, you don't need to budget etc.

We get it. :)

You can 100% make it budget-friendly. I spend a good bit less than half of that (maybe even close to a quarter) in the same amount of time on a vacation, so a couple hundred dollars may even come close to doubling my total costs. Other than tickets, everything else can be done pretty cheap. Choosing a deluxe resort, adding the dining plan, etc. are choices and do not make a WDW vacation budget friendly.

I live about an hour from Disney. A limited AP for Florida residents is dirt cheap, and I’m retired so I could be there any day. Yet I have not pulled the trigger.

I’m not a rope drop person. Nor am I a refresh a semi-stable app type person. I won’t stand in a line longer than 30 minutes. And planning 30 to 60 days ahead is not what I do on Vacation. So there is no way I can see myself having a good time at Disney given the probability of me getting decent FPs. The way Disney is presently set up, it is just not for me.

For my last birthday my hubby took me to Universal. We stayed onsite and had express passes. I had an awesome time.

If I could pay extra for FPs to get the kind of days I had at Universal I would probably go for the APs and then pay extra to get the preferred FPs.

Perhaps Disney is figuring folks like me would offset the never again crowd. Who knows.

Anyone else hoping today’s new update making it almost impossible to snag refresh FPs from the app is somehow not related to this?? Pretty coincidental...

Can you elaborate? You mean a glitch is happening or an intentional update?

I was kind of expecting maybe some news to follow the big 3 ban that just got announced. Maybe they’ll let that smoke settle and then announce paid FP+ in May or June for a July start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter