Philando Castile shooting - full dashcam video released

9:05:55 p.m.
Yanez said, “Okay, don't reach for it, then.” Castile responded, “I'm not pulling it out,” and Reynolds also said, “He's not pulling it out.” Yanez screamed, “Don't pull it out!”

Logic would dictate that, at this point, one should stop doing anything with your hands, put them in full view of the police officer and wait for instructions.

A little use of logic on Castile's part would have saved his life.

Logic seems to be in short supply these days.

Tell me when he had TIME to put his hands in full view of the police officer once he screamed "don't pull it out"? He was reaching for his license as he was INSTRUCTED to do.

Are you just being difficult?

I think its more like alot of training on Yanez's part would have saved Castile's life.

I don't disagree, but we as citizens know there are cops like Yanez out there & unfortunately it behooves us to act accordingly. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that Yanez was at fault. What matters is Castille is dead.

In a way, it's like looking both ways before proceeding on green. Drivers are trained not to run red lights, so the look "shouldn't" be necessary. But, we all know it is.

The differences in this situation and the times I've been stopped with my weapon on me is night and day. Two people at this vehicle and this was handled more poorly than the time I was stopped with one cop and had mine on me.

I feel for the family more than anything, a man lost his life for no reason at all and they don't even get justice from it. It's a sad state of affairs right now. This situation is not good for anyone, citizen or police officer.

The differences in this situation and the times I've been stopped with my weapon on me is night and day. Two people at this vehicle and this was handled more poorly than the time I was stopped with one cop and had mine on me.

I feel for the family more than anything, a man lost his life for no reason at all and they don't even get justice from it. It's a sad state of affairs right now. This situation is not good for anyone, citizen or police officer.

Precisely. Good policing is a vital part of a civilized society. No one benefits from an armed force that isn't looking out for the wellbeing of all they are sworn to serve and protect.

I don't disagree, but we as citizens know there are cops like Yanez out there & unfortunately it behooves us to act accordingly. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that Yanez was at fault. What matters is Castille is dead.

In a way, it's like looking both ways before proceeding on green. Drivers are trained not to run red lights, so the look "shouldn't" be necessary. But, we all know it is.

I understand what you are saying but IMO he was acting accordingly. He was reaching for what was asked for. I think he expected Yanez to use common sense when he said he wasn't reaching for his gun, that Yanez knew he was reaching for his wallet/license. The other cop apparently did.
And you are right what matters is that Castile is dead, but I think it also matters that he wasn't at fault, he didn't do anything wrong, that the fault entirely falls with Yanez.

So you don't consider a police officer asking for your license as instructions? I do, and I'm sure in Castille's mind he figured that Yanez knew that is what he was reaching for since he asked him for it.
He bears no responsibility in his own death, he was doing what he was asked to do. This cop over reacted, period. It is all on him.

The officer asked for insurance and license. THEN Castile said he had a firearm. Then the officer said to not pull it out - "don't reach for it". There were no instructions to produce the license after Castile said he had a gun.

After the officer said "don't pull it out/don't reach for it", the prudent thing to do would be to stop doing ANYTHING, put your hands in plain view on the steering wheel, and wait. Stop talking, stop moving, until it can be assessed that everyone is calm and not in fear.

Whenever a police officer pulls someone over, they do not know who they are going to encounter. It makes perfect sense to assume that this person MAY intend harm.

Last edited:

9:05:55 p.m.
Yanez said, “Okay, don't reach for it, then.” Castile responded, “I'm not pulling it out,” and Reynolds also said, “He's not pulling it out.” Yanez screamed, “Don't pull it out!”

Logic would dictate that, at this point, one should stop doing anything with your hands, put them in full view of the police officer and wait for instructions.

A little use of logic on Castile's part would have saved his life.

Logic seems to be in short supply these days.

And, 4 seconds pass between the BEGINNING of that exhange ("don't reach for it") and shots fired. Good grief. Apparently, you have supreme ability to think that your LIFE is in danger if you don't immediately move your hands to the wheel, with NO instruction to do so and a pending instruction to give the man your license. And, you are blaming Mr. Castille for that?!?! Wow. Ballsy.

And tellingly, Mr. Yanez NEVER mentioned seeing a gun that night, while interviewed. Not ONCE. He NEVER reported seeing a gun. Interestingly, his "memory" improved tremendously in the following year, and now is confident he did. That's NONSENSE. And, the jury was not allowed to listen to his interview from that night. That is complete and utter BS. No other way to call it. They were not allowed to decide that officer Yanez is a complete liar acting to save his own skin. And, no I do not feel sorry for him in the least. He's alive. Philando Castile, a perfectly decent human being with a job among kids who adored him, is dead because why? Because he's black. That is plain as day. Why are you "afraid" in this circumstance...from the moment you hear the word "gun" to the point that less than 5 seconds later, a man is dead.

It's offensive to all that is good and decent.

Tell me when he had TIME to put his hands in full view of the police officer once he screamed "don't pull it out"? He was reaching for his license as he was INSTRUCTED to do.

Are you just being difficult?

I'm not being difficult at all. I'm being analytical and logical.

The timing breakdown I've seen says there was 4 seconds between the "don't reach for it" command and the officer pulling out his gun and firing. That is PLENTY of time for him to stop doing whatever it was he was doing and put his hands on the steering wheel.

Actually look at a clock and watch 4 seconds tick by. More than enough time to move your hands from one position to another when you are seated.

The officer asked for insurance and license. THEN Castile said he had a firearm. Then the officer said to not pull it out - "don't reach for it". There were no instructions to produce the license after Castile said he had a gun.

After the officer said "don't pull it out/don't reach for it", the prudent thing to do would be to stop doing ANYTHING, put your hand in plain view on the steering wheel, and wait. Stop talking, stop moving, until it can be assessed that everyone is calm and not in fear.

Whenever a police officer pulls someone over, they do not know who they are going to encounter. It makes perfect sense to assume that this person MAY intend harm.

Again. You have the remarkable ability to think clearly about this after the fact. 4 seconds. 4 seconds is all that elapsed here. Not like some prolonged amount of time.

The timing breakdown I've seen says there was 4 seconds between the "don't reach for it" command and the officer pulling out his gun and firing. That is PLENTY of time for him to stop doing whatever it was he was doing and put his hands on the steering wheel.

Actually look at a clock and watch 4 seconds tick by. More than enough time to move your hands from one position to another when you are seated.

Got it. So a person legally carrying a weapon and doing what he was told to do by a police office is the one at fault when doing everything he was asked to do. If the cop was that afraid he shouldn't have said don't reach for it he should have been clear and concise and said please place your hands on the wheel. This comes from someone who has a lot of police officer family members and old friends in the departments back home. It is the police officers job to control the situation and nothing about this situation should have ended with a man shot 7 times in front of his child.

Again. You have the remarkable ability to think clearly about this after the fact. 4 seconds. 4 seconds is all that elapsed here. Not like some prolonged amount of time.

Ok, then. I suppose all I can say that if I were in this position, I believe I could think clearly enough in 4 seconds to put my hands on the steering wheel. But, that's me.

It's logical for someone who merely fits the description of a robbery suspect in the eyes of a police officer, no other evidence or bad actions, to wind up executed on the basis of four seconds in which they did not intuit an officer's state of mind?

Please God, let that never become the standard of logic in a civilized society.

You think you are being analytical and logical but you are missing the mark on that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter