Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
I plan on buying at Rivera with a guaranteed week. Maybe I am missing something but we love going to WDW and the resort appears to be close to Hollywood Studios via a gondola ride. We are buying it to use but I feel like in 10 years there will still be significant value to the contract. Do you think the restrictions will significantly lower the value and direct contracts are not worth it?

Most current owners, myself included, are predicting that the resale value on Riviera will be quite low due to the new restrictions there on resale owners. How low that happens to be is debatable but the restriction will have an affect.

Most current owners, myself included, are predicting that the resale value on Riviera will be quite low due to the new restrictions there on resale owners. How low that happens to be is debatable but the restriction will have an affect.
Will the resale buyers be limited to only staying at the Rivera?

I plan on buying at Rivera with a guaranteed week. Maybe I am missing something but we love going to WDW and the resort appears to be close to Hollywood Studios via a gondola ride. We are buying it to use but I feel like in 10 years there will still be significant value to the contract. Do you think the restrictions will significantly lower the value and direct contracts are not worth it?

As other said - the resale buyer will not be able to trade into any other resorts - which will undoubtedly hurt resale prices, though it's hard to know how much. It IS a Disney property, so I won't think it will go too low. But I wouldn't be surprised if the price is lower than typical for the newer resorts.

Honestly, if I was going to consider a buy - buying a guaranteed week in a studio (or tower studio) during a popular time of year would be the best bet for retaining value - while not everyone would be looking for it, I would still think it would gain more interest on resale, even without the ability to trade out. And while I have to admit the resale issue is a fairly big turnoff - I have always said that you should NEVER consider resale value as a primary concern for a DVC purchase. First of all, as they near the end of their lease, the value will eventually drive to zero. But even bigger, if there's a MAJOR economic downturn (and there will be a some point) resale prices are likely to drop severely. Disney can always shelve plans for building DVCs, but the resale market could take enough of a hit that Disney doesn't ROFR much and prices could drop IMO by 50%.

The final point is if you want to buy direct, it's not like the resale rule changes are going to improve with the next resort. You are essentially "stuck" with this rule wherever you buy going forward. (The "old" resorts will still always be able to access the old L14 resorts.)

In wasn’t terribly keen on the gondolas at first, but after reading about the capacity of the system and seeing them running last week I’m rethinking my position.
I think many will be rethinking that position when they ride in a gondola, with no AC in August. lol

As other said - the resale buyer will not be able to trade into any other resorts - which will undoubtedly hurt resale prices, though it's hard to know how much. It IS a Disney property, so I won't think it will go too low. But I wouldn't be surprised if the price is lower than typical for the newer resorts.

Honestly, if I was going to consider a buy - buying a guaranteed week in a studio (or tower studio) during a popular time of year would be the best bet for retaining value - while not everyone would be looking for it, I would still think it would gain more interest on resale, even without the ability to trade out. And while I have to admit the resale issue is a fairly big turnoff - I have always said that you should NEVER consider resale value as a primary concern for a DVC purchase. First of all, as they near the end of their lease, the value will eventually drive to zero. But even bigger, if there's a MAJOR economic downturn (and there will be a some point) resale prices are likely to drop severely. Disney can always shelve plans for building DVCs, but the resale market could take enough of a hit that Disney doesn't ROFR much and prices could drop IMO by 50%.

The final point is if you want to buy direct, it's not like the resale rule changes are going to improve with the next resort. You are essentially "stuck" with this rule wherever you buy going forward. (The "old" resorts will still always be able to access the old L14 resorts.)

I think how low resale prices at DRR go depends on how difficult it would be for resale owners to book there since no fall back option is available at all for them. While some can claim they would only buy DRR only to stay there (kinda like VGC & BCV resales), so the restriction doesn't bother them. However, if you can't get in at VGC or BCV, you have 13 other resorts as back up. At DRR, if you can't book something that works for you, you can only bank your points once. It gets pretty expensive if you start losing a good chuck of your points on a regular basis because the dates you want are not available and I am not even talking about Fall frenzy.

LAX

PS: This is based on the assumption that DVD won't prop up resale prices at DRR through aggressive ROFR.

I think many will be rethinking that position when they ride in a gondola, with no AC in August. lol
I thought that no ac thing was a joke???

There is a system in place. "The units will use cross-ventilation for sufficient air flow and reflective windows to prevent direct sunlight.” I have no idea how this works, but I doubt they spent as much as they did on this system without planning for the heat.

There's a nearly 300 page thread about the gondola that repeats over and over about how they will be cooled. Suggest going there on the rumors and news boards. The short version is Disney is unlikely to cook people in the gondolas.

I went to WDW for years before I had kids up into my 20s. My parents still love it and will go without any kids/grandkids if their team is playing in a bowl game there, but we are a roller coaster/theme park family. I can't wait to go on an adults-only trip!!! One day...

We only bought when we realized WE wanted to go. I probably shouldn't say our adult only trips are more fun than our ones with the kids...but I want to...

We're the same. Many happy memories as a child with my beloved grandparents, solo trips while visiting extended family in Japan, right into adulthood. We bought DVC because DH and I don't foresee ourselves outgrowing Disney. It's our easy, chill resort vacation with built-in entertainment. The kids are lucky they get to tag along!

I voted No but might consider resale. If DVC is going to implement strong restrictions on the resale contracts, but still allow the 11 month booking window then buying a resale at a steal compared to direct Rivera might not be a bad decision. If you want to stay elsewhere you rent out your points. It is all too soon to tell how it will all roll out. The resort does look nice. I like the look of the rooms, the location and roof top dining does add its perks.

It will probably be a good year before we will see what happens with the resale market of Riveria.

I feel for those who buy direct totally uneducated and then are shocked when they need to sell in a year or two and now owe more than the contract is worth. DVD will have their hand in where the Rivera resales will end up, but how much are they really going to buy back and at what prices.

I voted No but might consider resale. If DVC is going to implement strong restrictions on the resale contracts, but still allow the 11 month booking window then buying a resale at a steal compared to direct Rivera might not be a bad decision. If you want to stay elsewhere you rent out your points. It is all too soon to tell how it will all roll out. The resort does look nice. I like the look of the rooms, the location and roof top dining does add its perks.

It will probably be a good year before we will see what happens with the resale market of Riveria.

I feel for those who buy direct totally uneducated and then are shocked when they need to sell in a year or two and now owe more than the contract is worth. DVD will have their hand in where the Rivera resales will end up, but how much are they really going to buy back and at what prices.

DVC won't let prices get TOO low - But they really don't want to be in the business of buying back units at a resort they are trying to sell. I think you are looking at more than a year to see where the price really settles. CCV is currently still selling at $150-160 resale which is preposterous. It should settle around $120-130 once it is not the "top property".

With the restrictions for resale only to stay at Riviera, if your like my family and only go to WDW once a year, do you really only want to be stuck at Riviera for the entire length of the contract.... 50 years! There is no way I would buy even a resale contract there, unless it became a good investment to rent out with the occasional stay. The price would have to be very low, better to buy an L14 resort and at least get some variety.

Our decision about which resort we were going to buy was based on how much we wanted to stay there vs. somewhere else, but just as importantly, how much we could get for the points in the rental market if we decided not to go. We chose BLT and got in before the restrictions. Compare that to the points you would get RIV through resale on the rental market - the value just won't be there. The experience would have to be pretty special for me to choose to go to RIV over ANY of the current resorts in fact.

With the restrictions for resale only to stay at Riviera, if your like my family and only go to WDW once a year, do you really only want to be stuck at Riviera for the entire length of the contract.... 50 years! There is no way I would buy even a resale contract there, unless it became a good investment to rent out with the occasional stay. The price would have to be very low, better to buy an L14 resort and at least get some variety.

I think many will feel this way. However, I own two contracts. One is at AKV, and while I love it there, I would not be happy if I ONLY could stay there. We also bought a 2nd contract at BWV for the express purpose of staying there during F&W. It's only 75 points which nets us 5-6 nights a year, but we will likely never, ever use it anywhere else.

As you say - I COULD see a small Riviera contract...for the right price...for the same purpose. I would have to love the resort as much as I love Boardwalk. And I certainly would never buy without having stayed there.

Any rumors about when Riviera sales will start? I'm assuming that we'll get more information soon since they emailed current DVC members about the Riviera sweepstakes. I'm extremely unlikely to buy there, but I am very curious about what the point charts will look like and how pricing will shake out.

Any rumors about when Riviera sales will start? I'm assuming that we'll get more information soon since they emailed current DVC members about the Riviera sweepstakes. I'm extremely unlikely to buy there, but I am very curious about what the point charts will look like and how pricing will shake out.

The last thing I heard was that the guides are taking tours of the models in 3/20, so it’ll be sometime after that, most likely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter