Poll: When do you think Europe will open again?

When will Europe open again to US travelers?

• In 2020

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Winter 2021

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Spring 2021

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Summer 2021

Votes: 65 53.7%
  • Not until 2022

Votes: 22 18.2%

• Total voters
Easy. Many Irish are allowed in Germany, and Liechtenstein is an easy drive from MUC over Bregenz (they are also allowed in Austria.

Germany and Austria were not of the four countries that were posted in previous note, but perhaps the list has now added more countries.

-Paul

Germany and Austria were not of the four countries that were posted in previous note, but perhaps the list has now added more countries.

-Paul

nope, sigh.. the Irish Government announced the update yesterday , Thursday which will be effective from Monday... The 4 countries have been removed, so now there are no safe countries for Irish people to travel to, and every person who arrives into Ireland, no matter which country you have travelled from must do a 14 day quarantine

When a virus is running things, it isn't strange. That's how viruses work.

The strange I was referring to was not virus related. I was referring to the media reporting here regarding Europe doesn’t match reality. You even have Europeans on this thread advising to avoid U.S. television news.

The strange I was referring to was not virus related. I was referring to the media reporting here regarding Europe doesn’t match reality. You even have Europeans on this thread advising to avoid U.S. television news.
But the reality is none of the embark countries will let Americans in right now. So that is a huge issue regardless of how one wants to argue media bias.

-Paul
From today's daily RKI risk area update for Germany:
Irland – die folgenden Regionen gelten derzeit als Risikogebiete:
Region Dublin (seit 23. September)
Region Border (seit 30. September)

Austria still permits Irish to enter.

I think that there are two different discussions here, as I noted before
- can someone enter a country
(in this case yes, Irish can enter Germany, but if from those 2 areas must take a quick, free, mandatory test with results back usually in 12 hours. In some cases they may be subject to a 5 day quarantine, or until they have a negative test result.)
Austria also allows the Irish to enter
Die entsprechenden Länder sind in der Anlage A1 der Einreiseverordnung aufgezählt und sind derzeit (Stand: 28.09.2020): Australien, Belgien, Dänemark, Deutschland, Estland, Finnland, Frankreich (mit Ausnahme von Île-de-France (Paris), Cote d’Azur, Provence-Alpes), Griechenland, Irland, Island, Italien, Japan, Kanada, Lettland, Liechtenstein, Litauen, Luxemburg, Malta, Monaco, Neuseeland, Niederlande, Norwegen, Polen, Portugal (mit Ausnahme von Lissabon und Norte), Republik Korea, San Marino, Schweden, Schweiz, Slowakei, Slowenien, Spanien (nur die Kanarischen Inseln), Tschechien (mit Ausnahme von Prag), Ungarn, Uruguay, Vatikan, Vereinigtes Königreich und Zypern.

- does someone need to quarantine on return, does their country warn them about travelling etc
This is what I think the other poster is referring to, but has nothing to do with current entry into a country. Again, she is absolutely free to enter Germany or Austria, under the conditions above, and to travel to Liechtenstein from there. Whether she wants to do that because on return she must quarantine as set by her own country, and her medical insurance may not be valid, is up to her.

The same holds true for the Canadians posting. They are free to enter Germany, or Austria, no test required, and have a nice holiday and even go to other countries. On return to Canada, they will need to quarantine. But they can purchase travel insurance from Canada which covers them, and some countries like Portugal even sell it to arrivals.

The official rules vs the personal desire is the discrepancy here, and it is important to understand what the actual rules are.

Sure blame the media for reporting what the The World Health Organization and the British Health Department is releasing on covid-19. We live in a world where people expect instant solutions, take a pill, get a vaccine, pass legislation. People want to anything but what they need to do. Stay home as much as you can. Wear a mask. Social distance. Do it for a few months and we may FINALLY be able to resume normal life.

Sure blame the media for reporting what the The World Health Organization and the British Health Department is releasing on covid-19. We live in a world where people expect instant solutions,

I didn’t blame anyone for anything. I definitely didn’t post what people in the world expect because I don’t proclaim to know what others expect. Chill.

We’re on the Iceland trip at the end of July, I’m not feeling too optimistic at this point. It leaves from Dover and ends in Copenhagen, I can’t quarantine for 14 days, take an 11 day cruise then may or may not get home. So many questions at this point. And I don’t want to only do Disney excursions on this trip. I’m ok with masks but I want to do what I want so I may be canceling

From today's daily RKI risk area update for Germany:

Austria still permits Irish to enter.

I think that there are two different discussions here, as I noted before
- can someone enter a country
(in this case yes, Irish can enter Germany, but if from those 2 areas must take a quick, free, mandatory test with results back usually in 12 hours. In some cases they may be subject to a 5 day quarantine, or until they have a negative test result.)
Austria also allows the Irish to enter

- does someone need to quarantine on return, does their country warn them about travelling etc
This is what I think the other poster is referring to, but has nothing to do with current entry into a country. Again, she is absolutely free to enter Germany or Austria, under the conditions above, and to travel to Liechtenstein from there. Whether she wants to do that because on return she must quarantine as set by her own country, and her medical insurance may not be valid, is up to her.

The same holds true for the Canadians posting. They are free to enter Germany, or Austria, no test required, and have a nice holiday and even go to other countries. On return to Canada, they will need to quarantine. But they can purchase travel insurance from Canada which covers them, and some countries like Portugal even sell it to arrivals.

The official rules vs the personal desire is the discrepancy here, and it is important to understand what the actual rules are.
That's true, but travel is a two-way street. There are entry rules into a foreign country = outbound rules. And there are return rules for your own country = inbound rules. Both matter.

Of the 200+ jurisdictions in the world, about a third are more or less open to international visitors. You can take your pick. But, would you ignore the inbound rules? Europe can invite all the Canadians they want, but until the inbound rules change, most Canadians aren't going anywhere. Same for the Irish, Australians, and Kiwis.

Last edited:
Summer 2021 assuming there is a viable vaccine that gets widely distributed by that point. If not, longer. I certainly am not making travel plans until I know more. Having to cancel our European Summer 2020 trip was heartbreaking enough. I can't blame them at all for this, but I suspect Americans will be the last people they welcome back.

Question....and I think I know the answer but want certainty. Can a college student apply to and then go to (get visa and fly over) school in Norway or Ireland? From US. My DD, graduating in Dec, wants to do her MBA in Norway and we told her she likely could not go anytime soon. She is looking at going for Jan 2021.

Question....and I think I know the answer but want certainty. Can a college student apply to and then go to (get visa and fly over) school in Norway or Ireland? From US. My DD, graduating in Dec, wants to do her MBA in Norway and we told her she likely could not go anytime soon. She is looking at going for Jan 2021.

She should check with the specific college she wishes to attend. This is the International Student page for the college I graduated from in 2018, https://www.dbs.ie/international-students

Thanks but unclear. Says they encourage to apply but will follow covid restrictions. Which are what? No flying to Europe from US...right?

Well not exactly for Ireland. The borders are not closed, there are still flights from USA to Ireland, but only from 3 airports, Boston, Chicago and JFK / New York.

This is the US Embassy in Irelands Information page https://ie.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes  

The Irish government requires visitors arriving in Ireland, with limited exceptions, to restrict their movements and fill in a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form indicating where they will self-isolate for 14 days.  Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.  Health Service Executive (HSE) staff are present in the Dublin and Shannon airports to assist arriving passengers who have concerns related to COVID-19.

Travelling to Ireland during the COVID-19 pandemic
https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b...at-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Leisure travel is near impossible, but travel for science, education, NGOs is possible under serious restriction. If the school can sponsor a visa it is possible; a friend of mine just moved to Oslo last week for her doctoral program.

My DD was in Norway when the shutdown happened (not as a tourist). She came home but would have been allowed to return as long as her residence permit was still valid. That permit was started here in the US, but had to be finalized when she was in Norway. I think you need to contact the school or the consulate to get more information. I know they weren't letting tourists in, and that the students she knows had a hard time getting in or out due to limited flights, but they all had temporary residency there so were allowed back in.

My DD was in Norway when the shutdown happened (not as a tourist). She came home but would have been allowed to return as long as her residence permit was still valid. That permit was started here in the US, but had to be finalized when she was in Norway. I think you need to contact the school or the consulate to get more information. I know they weren't letting tourists in, and that the students she knows had a hard time getting in or out due to limited flights, but they all had temporary residency there so were allowed back in.
Another concern is getting home in timely manner since we have 1 grandparent with cancer. We are dissuading her and she is not happy.

Another concern is getting home in timely manner since we have 1 grandparent with cancer. We are dissuading her and she is not happy.

It was very complicated getting our DD home during this pandemic. Others who waited longer had 3 sets of flights canceled on them before they were able to return to the US. In that regard, I think Ireland would be easier than Norway.

Hearing things from a parent is very different than from someone else. Life in Ireland right now is very different to USA. We are in the middle of a second stay at home order. I am here on Dis every day. If she wants to talk to someone living in Dublin who graduated from college in the last 2 years sent me a PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter