Poll: Why don’t you want dogs at Disney Resorts? (non-service dogs)

Why don’t you want (non service) dogs at Disney Resorts?

• I’m allergic to dogs

Votes: 120 26.0%
  • Barking dogs. I’m worried that I will be kept awake, annoyed, or have to deal it.

Votes: 329 71.4%
  • I don’t want to sleep in a room that has had someone else’s pet in it.

Votes: 312 67.7%
  • I’m worried that I, or another guest, will be bitten, chased, or snapped at by someone’s dog

Votes: 157 34.1%
  • I’m afraid or have a phobia of dogs, or someone in my group/family is afraid of dogs

Votes: 75 16.3%
  • I don’t want to see someone’s dog relieving themselves. I don't want to step in it, or smell it

Votes: 268 58.1%
  • The policy is a moving target, so until it is settled, I say no

Votes: 90 19.5%
  • Dogs walking around the resort grounds negatively changes or ruins the feel of the resort

Votes: 180 39.0%
  • Other (please specify with a reply to this thread)

Votes: 35 7.6%

• Total voters
As far as I know I'm not allergic to dogs, but I clicked everything else. Yes, we have had service dogs in the rooms, but they are out working most of the day. And I bet pretty calm at night.

I'm just thinking, once a dog barks, won't that set off every other dog within 5 miles.

With disney enforcing their rules for just about anything oh so perfectly, I can easily see a dog running down the beach. Jumping up to say hello on a grandbaby's stroller, or knocking over my coffee cup as his 20 ft leach gets snagged on a table leg. Not terrible doggy things, but not things I want to be concerned about on vacation. I already have to worry about snacking stealing birds, cookie raiding squirrels and foot pecking ducks. Let's not add to the wildlife. Speaking of wildlife, what are the chances you are taking your rule abiding dog to go potty, but he sees a squirrel 30 ft away. You didn't expect it, the leach gets ripped out of your hand and the chase is on.

2, 3, 4, 6 + other.

Other = everything that's already been said by PPs. Especially that a separate dog-friendly resort is the best solution. Let everyone who wants to bring their pet stay there, since apparently they won't mind it if someone else's dog barks or destroys the room or scares their kid or bites them, etc., etc.

I'm sure the only reason WDW did this is that it's a huge source of revenue. That would also explain why my detailed e-mail to Guest Services objecting to this new policy was answered by a cheerful, happy, enthusiastic reply all about how great it is now that people can bring their dogs to a WDW resort with them and completely ignored my comments.

Please, Disney, if you're reading this, don't extend this policy to other resorts! I'm actually concerned about that happening, and happening, as this did, with all but no notice.

I think the trial is fine, but the best thing to do as a compromise is to make a separate pet friendly resort because there are too many inconsiderate people anyway, not to mention inconsiderate pet owners. Disney can cater to a specialty group without alienating or upsetting the majority if they want.

I would be perfectly content with this solution. I guarantee though, there would be people who are incensed because the like the theme and they not only want o stay there, but they do NOT want an animal in sight.

Honestly, I do think that if this was implemented in a way that protected guests who did not want to be exposed to someone else's dog, and accommodated pet owners as well, it could work. I know that it is possible to have an interaction that would detract from someone's vacation experience, but I am still saddened every time I think back to an experience on DME while we were en route to our resort. I kept seeing that poor little girl's face in every park, resort and restaurant. 11 years later, it still is one of the saddest memories. No yelling, no hitting, just total disregard towards a 4 YO, and it brought me to tears. Is there the potential of seeing an owner yelling or being mean to a dog? Yes. Do I get treated to a parent or an adult losing it with a kid on most Disney trips? I sure do.

We all have areas in which we are sensitive, and it is very clear dogs are very high on that list. I am not going to stay in a resort that has animals as part of the guest list. I like them, but I am not sleeping with someone's dog smell, worrying about animal "debris" on the floors, or lounging in dander and drool on the chairs. I do not want to have to walk constantly looking down, and I cringe at seeing anything relieve itself. A service animal? Totally different situation and I would never think twice.

This just opens up a Pandora’s box. What about cats? Lizards? Ferrets? Rats? If they allow dogs why not those pets? DD10 would love to bring her fish.
This guy visits me and sits with me, and I feed him everyday, even in the snow. Don't know what he eats when I'm gone 2 weeks. He would love to come to Disney with me. :rotfl:

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 19

ALL of the above. Plus fleas. Plus lack of restrictions, plus poorly thought out policy.

Also, and I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, there is a religious issue as well. Which while less important than allergies and phobias (and fear and fleas) is going to be a reason for some people.

I hate this change.

Fleas, fleas, fleas! Our downstairs neighbor has an indoor/outdoor cat which brought fleas into the home and they're an absolute nightmare to deal with.

I've just posted a sticky thread that I hope to use to gather information for a FAQ thread on dogs at resorts. If you've been given information on pet policies, locations where guests with pets will be placed, or locations where dogs can be walked, please share it on that thread. Thanks!

Help us gather information on Disney's policies on dogs at resorts

Great idea! Thanks Lynne M. With the ever changing dog policy and conflicting information, it will be nice to have one location to find the latest updates.

Dan

Thank you everyone for sharing your votes so far! My primary reason for starting this thread was to figure out just why this policy is so unpopular here on the Dis, and then based on that information, see if there is a way to make everyone happy (with just a little give from both sides). A win-win is far preferable to a win-lose

Ok, so based on total votes so far (715) here are the top 5 reasons why we (Dis members who responded) don’t want dogs at WDW resorts.

1. Barking dogs. I’m worried that I will be kept awake, annoyed, or have to deal it. 75.10%
  2. I don’t want to sleep in a room that has had someone else’s pet in it. 74.10%
  3. I don’t want to see someone’s dog relieving themselves. I don't want to step in it, or smell it. 59.60%
  4. Dogs walking around the resort grounds negatively changes or ruins the feel of the resort. 43.50%
  5. I’m worried that I, or another guest, will be bitten, chased, or snapped at by someone’s dog 36.80%

In my opinion, all of these can be addressed by Disney if: (please feel free to suggest alterations to this list)

1. Disney dedicates rooms in a wing of a building, or a building itself, and only those rooms can be used for those who bring dogs.
  2. The dog relief areas are near these buildings, and out of casual sight of the guests
  3. Dogs are not allowed in common resort areas (walking paths, pools, smoking areas, etc.)
  4. No dogs on DME (not sure how to handle this though). What's the alternative? Taxi? Uber?

If people want to bring their dog, they are free to do so under these circumstances. They still get to bring their loving companions with, but not at the expense of other guests.

This would also address two of the reasons that didn’t make it into the top 5, but are arguably the most important IMO. Allergies and phobias, which in my opinion are not negotiable. These are two items that HAVE to be addressed by Disney first and foremost.

Kindly,
Dan

Allergies is the big one for me. I try not to book hotels that are pet friendly at ALL because I don't want to go through room switching because lingering pet dander has caused an issue.
I would hope that pet friendly rooms would be limited to a specific area.

Thank you everyone for sharing your votes so far! My primary reason for starting this thread was to figure out just why this policy is so unpopular here on the Dis, and then based on that information, see if there is a way to make everyone happy (with just a little give from both sides). A win-win is far preferable to a win-lose

Ok, so based on total votes so far (715) here are the top 5 reasons why we (Dis members who responded) don’t want dogs at WDW resorts.

1. Barking dogs. I’m worried that I will be kept awake, annoyed, or have to deal it. 75.10%
  2. I don’t want to sleep in a room that has had someone else’s pet in it. 74.10%
  3. I don’t want to see someone’s dog relieving themselves. I don't want to step in it, or smell it. 59.60%
  4. Dogs walking around the resort grounds negatively changes or ruins the feel of the resort. 43.50%
  5. I’m worried that I, or another guest, will be bitten, chased, or snapped at by someone’s dog 36.80%

In my opinion, all of these can be addressed by Disney if: (please feel free to suggest alterations to this list)

1. Disney dedicates rooms in a wing of a building, or a building itself, and only those rooms can be used for those who bring dogs.
  2. The dog relief areas are near these buildings, and out of casual sight of the guests
  3. Dogs are not allowed in common resort areas (walking paths, pools, smoking areas, etc.)
  4. No dogs on DME (not sure how to handle this though). What's the alternative? Taxi? Uber?

If people want to bring their dog, they are free to do so under these circumstances. They still get to bring their loving companions with, but not at the expense of other guests.

This would also address two of the reasons that didn’t make it into the top 5, but are arguably the most important IMO. Allergies and phobias, which in my opinion are not negotiable. These are two items that HAVE to be addressed by Disney first and foremost.

Kindly,
Dan

And I think you made some valid suggestions but ............. (you knew there would be) ...........

1. People and sadly especially at Disney, think rules aren't for them. People will walk their dogs wherever they want and enter dog free zones, leaving parts of themselves behind or in public trashcans.
2. Disney CMs are not empowered nor want the confrontation of telling guests they are breaking the rules. No one will enforce this, as proven at Disney Parks and Resorts now.

Humans are the ingredient that will ruin this for everyone. The humans will allow the behaviors and the humans will break the rules.

I'm sure the only reason WDW did this is that it's a huge source of revenue. That would also explain why my detailed e-mail to Guest Services objecting to this new policy was answered by a cheerful, happy, enthusiastic reply all about how great it is now that people can bring their dogs to a WDW resort with them and completely ignored my comments.

Please, Disney, if you're reading this, don't extend this policy to other resorts! I'm actually concerned about that happening, and happening, as this did, with all but no notice.

All the above also applies for me. Had same experience with Guest Services, and also have same concern about the future. I am now uncomfortable making reservations at any WDW resort given that they could turn it into a dog friendly resort right before my arrival, as happened this time. All their other hotels were sold out during my stay, so I ended up having to cancel and move offsite.

Last edited:
Tons of running, screaming kids can sometimes set off even a normally calm gentle dog. Not to mention a child (or anyone) who happens to have the bad luck of being around two dogs having a fight. I was bit that way myself - the dogs were trying to bite each other and I just happened to be nearby. It’s a recipe for disaster!
This is a huge concern, my little dog is reactive to a lot of things and sometimes screaming children running round is one of those triggers to get her pulling at the lead and Barking and she is extremely unpredictable with other dogs. I know what her triggers are and wouldn't dream of putting her in an environment where there's a lot of things to set her off but I'm sure there's people out there with dogs with similar behavioural issues but they may find the temptation to have their fur baby on holiday too much, recipe for disaster!

Well, with 2 of us that have allergies and 1 of us that has severe animal phobia, sensory disorder and anxiety, this new policy is my Disney "nightmare come true". My little one can't even go to the school bus stop without encountering 3-4 dogs. She will run into the street to get away from them. It puts my nerves on edge. We are in the process of going the medication route, but in the meantime it's unnerving. WDW was the one place we COULD go to get away from all her worries. I realize so many have said there are Service Dogs in the parks, but honestly we have never encountered one in our past 3 trips (2012 - 2016). I do think she does better around Service Dogs because they rarely bark, jump, lick, etc. and are much more calm. My other daughter and myself have allergies. That is easier to deal with than the anxiety but still problematic. I'll probably request a deep clean because I didn't realize Service dogs can stay anywhere. And we were looking forward to walking around AoA, but not sure now. There is a dog relief area right near the bridge on the AoA side. I'm very stressed out about this announcement.

I am also wondering how dogs are going to work out at POR when the horse and carriages are out. Are they planning to stop carriage rides there.

This!!!

I've seem what happens when unleashed dogs go running at a horse. Its not pretty, its dangerous, and many horses will automatically panic and try to run, kick, and bite if an unknown dog goes near them! This has some serious potential to cause both guest and animal injury. Can you say LAWSUIT?

What about the lobby of the resorts? Would dogs be allowed there? Not that we spend a ton of time there, but if we are hanging out waiting for DME I don’t want to sit on a chair that might have dog hair, drips of pee, dogs barks echoing through the room, etc.

My reason is not listed. I love dogs, have two, but I would not bring them along to Disney. It just wouldn’t be fair to them to leave them either crated or locked in a hotel room for 12+ hours several days in a row. Not to mention, what would happen if when mousekeeping came in one of them escaped! For me personally I won’t do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter