Poly Tower decision and RIV restrictions

So, if it does become part of the existing association, but with restrictions....if you bought a resale Poly contract, wouldn't you be able to use it there regardless because its Poly? The resale wouldnt be able to be used at other new resorts, but because its Poly, it would be eligible?

Disney doesn't have property boundaries like that, however, they tore down an existing show/dining pavilion for at least some of the land.
They harmed Disney history by removing the Luau. One of the most iconic and legendary.
Celebrities attended a luau at Polynesian during the WDW grand opening.

Might as well remove Narcoossee's from GF and put in a new DVC tower.
Or maybe once Aulani is sold out, remove the pool and put in some new DVC tower on that property.

Many things are not part of the DVC "land", but they are certainly reasons many buy DVC at specific resorts.

So, if it does become part of the existing association, but with restrictions....if you bought a resale Poly contract, wouldn't you be able to use it there regardless because its Poly? The resale wouldnt be able to be used at other new resorts, but because its Poly, it would be eligible?

In my review of things, I think the only way it can be part of PVB but with restrictions would be to create a new vacation plan under the umbrella in PVB.

If that happened, it would not necessarily mean PVB owners who bought resale after 2019 would get access.

But, that doesn’t mean they could not do something unique either.

We will just have to wait and see when documents actually get filed…hopefully in the next 3 or 4 months.

They harmed Disney history by removing the Luau. One of the most iconic and legendary.

Or maybe once Aulani is sold out, remove the pool and put in some new DVC tower on that property.

Many things are not part of the DVC "land", but they are certainly reasons many buy DVC at specific resorts.
The Luau was one of the reasons we bought into PVB.

Also, just for a fun side note, does anyone else think that there is room for Disney to use the new restaurant space for an enhanced Trader Sams? I tried to go last week, got there an hour before signups and STILL got a 3 hour wait estimate... :crazy2: Since Disney wasnt afraid to remove the luau, it makes me wonder if they wouldnt hesitate to move a spot that already sells tons of drinks/food, even though its iconic for some PVB fans.

Last edited:
I tried to go last week, got there an hour before signups and STILL got a 3 hour wait estimate... :crazy2:
Those kinds of experiences wear me down as a loyal Disney fan, and if the new tower exerts more stress on the existing amenities, I’ll sell my piddly 100 PVB points to the next family…

I agree. Also, the BPK expansion at VGF was just studios - it would have made a very incomplete standalone offering. The Poly Tower seems to have a decent mix of room types and would work perfectly standalone.
By your standard the original Polynesian offering of basically just studios is very incomplete.
Exactly, my thinking as well.

At this point, I’d be disappointed if they didn’t make it the same association with all the benefits that come with being part of the same association because they’ve put it out there and never rescinded that quasi-vague statement, but I still think it is a bizarre move to not restrict the tower.
Agree.

That's not a thing (not an option). I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. It is either part of or not part of, not a little of each.

Celebrities attended a luau at Polynesian
during the WDW grand opening.
Don Ho??
But seriously, who was there?

I'm pretty sure you could say the same about 100's of places in Hollywood that are gone now, or Palm Springs, or NYC, or even Hawaii itself, etc.

Exactly, my thinking as well.

Agree.

That's not a thing (not an option). I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. It is either part of or not part of, not a little of each.

Don Ho??

I'm pretty sure you could say the same about 100's of places in Hollywood that are gone now, or Palm Springs, or NYC, or even Hawaii itself, etc.

There is some language in the POS that they can add new units to PVB but put it under a different vacation plan.

So, while I once thought it could not happen, I am not so sure. However, I don’t see them doing those level of gymnastics when they don’t need to.

If they want restrictions, they can just change their mind from what was said at the meeting and do something else.

Don Ho??

I realize it is a different time today and many don’t know Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, and I believe Julie Andrews, plus others.

Changes are not always for the better….Stitch’s Great Escape?

I realize it is a different time today and many don’t know Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, and I believe Julie Andrews, plus others.

Changes are not always for the better….Stitch’s Great Escape?
Agreed. Change is very often not for the better!! (not sure what Stitch's Great Escape is)

But I definitely know who Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, & Julie Andrews are. Some of my favorite movies are Bob Hope movies. :-)
Have you ever heard of Brown Derby, or Ciro’s?

The PVB documents do indeed define the current boundaries of the condo association.

And, as of today, that land is not within those boundaries.

Just like the BPK building was not and it had to be added to the boundaries of VGF property.
Weren't you stating resort? If not that was my misunderstanding. Certainly it's not part of the existing association today just like THV wasn't with SSR and Kidani probably wasn't with Jambo.

Yes, the Luau was a loss like other things have been in the past. :(

Weren't you stating resort? If not that was my misunderstanding. Certainly it's not part of the existing association today just like THV wasn't with SSR and Kidani probably wasn't with Jambo.
Maybe it was me not clear. What I was saying is that land is not currenlty part of PVB, and was part of the hotel side for use of the Spriit of Aloha show.

That meant that DVD could have just as easily decided to make it a brand new association if they wanted to do that. There was no requirement to add it to PVB, which means they have chosen…assuming what was implied at the meeting doesn’t change…to change their strategy for this project in reference to restrictions.

Just sharing that its location didn’t require them to make it part of PVB, just because PVB already exists.

Maybe it was me not clear. What I was saying is that land is not currenlty part of PVB, and was part of the hotel side for use of the Spriit of Aloha show.

That meant that DVD could have just as easily decided to make it a brand new association if they wanted to do that. There was no requirement to add it to PVB, which means they have chosen…assuming what was implied at the meeting doesn’t change…to change their strategy for this project in reference to restrictions.

Just sharing that its location didn’t require them to make it part of PVB, just because PVB already exists

Just sharing that its location didn’t require them to make it part of PVB, just because PVB already exists.
Exactly, it is built on hotel land. They need the surveyor to file a new map with the parcel for the tower broken off from the hotel. That will happen when the land lease is filed. They file a drawing with it. The land lease, the drawing, and the condo declaration will hold the answer to our questions. They could have just as easily (aside from the obvious theming) made it part of VGF, it’s probably closer to the wedding pavilion than the bungalows.

Just sharing that its location didn’t require them to make it part of PVB, just because PVB already exists
When was it licensed? It might have been earlier in the process, because the building was fully constructed from the beginning, and the DVC-ificiation was just a refurb. "It's DVC" is not necessary the same as "It's built."

Again, this is speculation, but because of the way laws work, things that don't make sense on the surface often have explanations in the details.
BPK was brought into the association as one unit. The entire structure is unit 12

When does it seem like they decided to go forward with Poly2? I've always been curious if they had learned the Riviera restrictions were a bad thing that they have too many legal hurdles to change now. My question on timing is whether that is why they canned Reflections and went with the Poly addition. Reflections would have been required to be restricted until they can figure out how to untangle Riviera.

When does it seem like they decided to go forward with Poly2? I've always been curious if they had learned the Riviera restrictions were a bad thing that they have too many legal hurdles to change now. My question on timing is whether that is why they canned Reflections and went with the Poly addition. Reflections would have been required to be restricted until they can figure out how to untangle Riviera.
Pretty sure reflections was cancelled because of Covid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter