popup

Gatordad

<font color=blue>Hates WDW<br><marquee behavior=al
we are thinking of doing a popup to go camping......

Do they still sell beer with popup tops??

we are thinking of doing a popup to go camping......

How do you do a pop up. Don't you have a wife to do? :rotfl2:

I already told you to pick your dates and you can do my pop up. Just keep a beer in my hand. Wait, you'd be better off just renting mine instead of trading beer. I was gonna buy a case but................

Why not, Pete? They are more versatile for a family, easy to store, easy to haul, and you have more flexibility placing it on a site. Also- they are easier to sell once you're ready to unload it. The best reason for getting one is that you would not need Donnie to back it into a site at FtW. Just unhook and let Christa and the kids push it into position while you supervise them! :lmao:

Donnie is right, it would be cheeper to rent it than to keep him supplied with beer. Oh wait you do that anyway!!!!!! :rotfl:

Well at least we could call you a camper again, not one of those resort or cabin people.

As long as we get to see you for more than 5 seconds at The Fort, we don't care what you camp in, just as long as you're a REAL camper. :goodvibes

I can't afford to buy Donnie beer. I will start looking.

Pups really are a great way to camp. You get the benefits of being able to put it in the garage and not paying storage plus they're not as expensive to tow. The only downfall is not having the bathroom and having to use the comfort station. At FW that's usually not an issue to us though.

I have said it before, I will say it again. I love my pop-up. Mostly because I love camping...tent camping that is. Or at least I did until my body started screaming at me when I would sleep on the ground. I love the open-ness, the breeze coming through the screens, the sound of nature....and the real beds! Mine are nice, but I've been in some where the ground would have been a better choice! So make sure you try the beds out first. (no, I don't mean THAT way! Get your mind outta the gutter) ;)

It is compact and usually fits in a garage bay. If you have strict HOA's...they are usually short enough not to be seen over the fence, therefore you can keep it at your house as long as you have a double gate. Some have bathrooms (mine has a potty/shower combo) but they don't offer much privacy. It is good when your kid gets up in the middle of the night, though. We have a strict #1 only policy :lmao:

Many of them sleep a suprisingly large amount of people too! If we pack in like sardines, we can get 9 in ours. You have to really love each other if you get that many people in that small a space though! It's a matter of making use of the space inside for sleeping. Pop-up owners are expected to "live" outside. You're camping though...so that seems reasonable to me!

The one downfall is when I am packing or unpacking it I have to crank it up, pull out the beds, load it up (or unload) and put it all back together. Going camping is a big job! But definitely worth it!

Good luck with your search!!!! :woohoo:

Trust Me...you ain't gonna like it! Been there and done that. Now a Hybrid is a different story.

We never pop ours up before a trip. We throw all the clothes and crap in the back of the truck, hitch it up and GO!!! Pete...unlike the 5th wheel ya had...you get the bed of your truck back for hauling again. When we tear down, we leave all the bedding in(even the pillows), throw the camp chairs and screen house and all of the other "camping trip only" items in on the floor, crank it down, throw the bikes, grill, and other crap in the bed of the truck and hit the road. Set up takes us less than half an hour for the main stuff(not including the awning lights, screen house, and little detail stuff), and tearing down usually takes LESS time than that. I know NOT having a toilet might be a rough transition for those that have been spoiled by one...but it just becomes part of the routine very fast. We keep a 5gal bucket with a trash liner and kitty-litter inside for the midnight emergencies...but I have found that even THAT is slowly becoming unneccessary..lately, no one has been using it. And YES....it stays in the garage. I back it up as close as I can get it, and if Im not feeling confident about clearance...I get out, unhitch it and push it into the garage. All the benefits of "real camping" with NO MONTHLY PAYMENT!!!

Ohhh.....and gas consumption? I honestly dont think my truck eats ANY more gas with the popup back there...if it IS taking extra...its such a small amount that Im not noticing it at all! Gina even does some of the driving!!

I want to add that the "sleeping capacity" is JUST THAT....FOR SLEEPING ONLY!!! My kid brought a friend along on one trip. Small girl, quiet...but her being there made it seem way too crowded. It was really cold and everyone wanted to hang out IN the popup...I dont suggest bringing friends on trips unless your pitching a tent for the kids!

My parents graduated from a tent to a pup when I was in Jr. High. The 6 of us would camp in it and do just fine. Even took my Grandmother with us once. When we lived near Houston, Dad and I used to slip up to Lake Livingston for a guys' fishing weekend. We rigged up a crude metal brace front and back and carried up a rowboat on the pup.

With those 2 requirements, a pup is the way to go. You still can enjoy tent camping while having some modern conveniences. Go enjoy it.

I'm in the cold Midwest. My popup is in storage only 20 miles from Fort Wilderness. I made the mistake of going to the RV show last weekend and now I want a Hybrid!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter