Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

We've had a family situation of sorts since the 26th of December. Every time the end of the situation seems near, the rug gets pulled out from under and we have a few more days of frustration and concern.
On top of that we've been weighing a very difficult decision regarding one of our dogs we weren't expecting.

It's all mentally exhausting. In one case the decision & control is totally out of our hands but I want control of the situation! The other? It's totally in our control and we want no part of it.

The cold & dreary rain has begun, so I lit a fire. I should fold the rest of the laundry.

((huggles)) I hope things get fixed soon.

I had to look up the term loungefly @ B&B I wasn’t sure what that was. But turns out I have one of those bags, too :rotfl2:I actually bought the DCL one at Disney Springs on our June trip because I needed something smaller and more substantial for WDW as my Vera Disney crossbody wasn’t working anymore for all the things I needed to carry (like a battery charger since my phone’s battery isn’t what it once was, and wipes and sanitizer, etc). So I’ve been using that at home since then, but it is a little small for me so that’s why I‘ve been thinking I wanted something bigger. I’ll still use that for trips, though, as it is a really nice bag, and a tote is too big to take into parks. Lol to the carpetbag, Lynn.

Also wanted to share the French Onion Chicken recipe with you guys as we’ve really been enjoying it. Originally saw it on Instagram. I don’t have exacts, but here’s how you do it. You slice up an onion lengthwise and put it in a pan. Then add a can of Campbell’s French Onion soup and a can of beef broth. Add dry long grain rice, and dot with butter. Then put raw chicken on top (can use tenders or thighs), and sprinkle with Lipton’s dry onion soup mix. Add shredded cheese on top (we used what we had on hand) and cover with foil. Bake for one hour and 15 mins. Take foil off and add dried fried onions (the kind you use on green bean casserole) and cook, uncovered, for 13 more minutes. It is so good! (But salty, just a forewarning.) I also thought if I made it again I might add some carrots (and skip the fried onions on top) too. (DD and DH say no to the carrots, but to each his own!) :p

🐥

Great pics! Love the D&B!!! The Loungefly bags are pretty nice, and easy to wear. @footballmouse I paid $50 for my Loungefly backpack and $20 for the matching wallet at Hot Topic, plus I got back $30 in Hot Topic bucks (that I gave to DD#2).

I will try the recipe, but I will probably skip the soup and use just broth, and add more dry soup mix. I don't like the canned soup taste.

But tonight is Honeybaked Ham Store's Smoked Turkey breast, with sweet potato gnocchi, mashed potatoes and some boxed turkey gravy, and roasted cauliflower. (maybe rolls, if I get around to making them).

I need to go shower, do laundry and clean house. I'm procrastinating.

We are down to 6 of the houses we saw this weekend, and unless something pops up for me in the next few days, we'll be in one of them. Two are townhomes (one of them DH did the civil design for, so if it floods, that's all on him, hahaha); 4 houses; 2 houses and the townhomes are 30-50 minutes from his work, and 2 are within 15 minutes; all have various good and bad points, so it's just a matter of determining if we want older and closer, or newer and further.

Last edited:
Good morning all.

I am doing some laundry and sorting out clothing. Wrote a whole post and realized how boring it sounds so erased it.

DD had to go in to her office today. It's nice when she works here.

Anyway, hope all are getting better from the plague. I've got to talk to older DD and see how she's doing. That one was so difficult - wanting to go and be a mother, while not going was the safest way. She didn't ask but is used to me being there.

Yeah! My Chewy orders are on the truck and out for delivery. I just placed another one and grabbed 2 variety packs of the farm favorites as it was the ONLY one they had in stock. Even a lot of their dry Friskies says out of stock. I looked at Tractor Supply online, and even though they carry it,,there are none in stock. I might get this third Chewy order by the end of the week, at the rate they are shipping orders~~

Good morning all.

I am doing some laundry and sorting out clothing. Wrote a whole post and realized how boring it sounds so erased it.

DD had to go in to her office today. It's nice when she works here.

Anyway, hope all are getting better from the plague. I've got to talk to older DD and see how she's doing. That one was so difficult - wanting to go and be a mother, while not going was the safest way. She didn't ask but is used to me being there.

You don't need erase any your posts, even 'boring ones' are interesting,,I should know, as I post boring ones all the time..lol! Prayers for your older DD, and I hope you get to talk to her

Yeah! My Chewy orders are on the truck and out for delivery. I just placed another one and grabbed 2 variety packs of the farm favorites as it was the ONLY one they had in stock. Even a lot of their dry Friskies says out of stock. I looked at Tractor Supply online, and even though they carry it,,there are none in stock. I might get this third Chewy order by the end of the week, at the rate they are shipping orders~~

I thought of you when I was in Costco yesterday. The friskies box is 60/5.5 ounce cans of pate, 10 flavors for 30.99. They used to have Fancy feast in a smaller pack for a reasonable price but haven't had it in quite some time. I shopped at the Brandywine Costco this time around. You can find me at a lot of the area Costco's since daughter lives in Laurel and son is in Gaithersburg so often I will be up that way or over in Virginia also.

I also had to buy a different litter. It's still in the van and I don't remember the brand name. I ran out of the Fresh Step that I've been using for many years. Had to order something online last time that cost me triple from Amazon to get same day delivery, so decided to go with what Costco had in stock. We will see how it works.

I had a Chewy order that was supposed to come in on Saturday, and one that was supposed to be here tomorrow. Both came in yesterday. :cool1: Also, I ordered 3 new cat collars and a new water bowl (B3G1F) for the furries, because theirs were looking a little ragged. I ordered a pink Minnie collar; a Child collar; and a green Hawaiian Minnie collar, plus the Marie cat bowl...I got one each of the pink and Child collars...and 8 of the Hawaiian ones! I 'chatted' with them, and told them what happened, and they said to just give away the extras. LOL I'm sending DD one for her girl kitty, then the other 6, I'll drop at the local rescue.

I have 2-1/2 months worth of soft food for the cats right now (one I'm not sure if they will eat, it's a new type). I might order more, if there's any on Chewy next week. I have about 2-3 months of cat litter (3 of the 4 bag packs of Fresh Step), and I have a new bag of the dry food they like (go through one 15 lb bag every 2 months or so; they like the Cat Chow naturals)

I had a Chewy order that was supposed to come in on Saturday, and one that was supposed to be here tomorrow. Both came in yesterday. :cool1: Also, I ordered 3 new cat collars and a new water bowl (B3G1F) for the furries, because theirs were looking a little ragged. I ordered a pink Minnie collar; a Child collar; and a green Hawaiian Minnie collar, plus the Marie cat bowl...I got one each of the pink and Child collars...and 8 of the Hawaiian ones! I 'chatted' with them, and told them what happened, and they said to just give away the extras. LOL I'm sending DD one for her girl kitty, then the other 6, I'll drop at the local rescue.

I have 2-1/2 months worth of soft food for the cats right now (one I'm not sure if they will eat, it's a new type). I might order more, if there's any on Chewy next week. I have about 2-3 months of cat litter (3 of the 4 bag packs of Fresh Step), and I have a new bag of the dry food they like (go through one 15 lb bag every 2 months or so; they like the Cat Chow naturals)

I ordered the wrong size harness for my dog. Called to return and reorder and was told the same, give it away. And they sent me the new one free of charge.

I used to order a new cat dish with each order. They get clean dishes each time they eat as I won't leave anything sitting out for very long, a reason I miss my dishwasher so much. I've now got a drawer full so stopped ordering them.

It is nice to see some new posters joining us! :goodvibes 🐥

Lynn, I’m glad you can get service on the chair and it is under warranty! You would not believe what I went through trying to get service for my mother’s chair when it broke (while she was in it, in reclined position! 😳) It took three months to get a service person out, after a LOT of searching the net, and phone calls, etc. I had to pay $150 first for the tech to even come out, paid online when I made the appt! I’d actually forgotten about it, it took so long, but when he showed up he had some part in his truck that would only fix the mechanical part, which was just the lift and recline feature. Fortunately my brother had diagnosed the electrical problem on the electrical panel, and a neighbor/friend who is an electrician was able to get the part for us and throw it in, so the vibration massage and heat and worked again. Thankfully it’s been fine since (and is DH’s main chair now). But I was surprised at how difficult it was to get a chair tech out today! (Sort of like trying to find a cobbler!) My elderly friend who I visit just bought herself a new chair (they are pricey!) and she’s unhappy with it, it’s too short and she is tall, so her legs are hanging off in an uncomfortable position. She had a previous one that was really nice, she should’ve just kept it. I hope you can get a fix or replacement for Mr L.

BTW, I love onions so I love the strong onion flavor of the dish! And I really love a good French Onion Soup! (My salt splurges.)

Taking a break for a few mins because DD is on her way home from a night shift and I’m going to make her a healthy breakfast of oatmeal and berries. (DS joined us, as well, which was nice! He worked a crazy second shift till late last night! Wound up making dropped eggs on toast because there wasn’t much oatmeal left - it took me longer to clean up the mess than it did to make it! :lmao: ) @footballmouse In our house we understand how taxing those overnights can be! 😵‍💫 DS worked just one overnight last week and he was dragging for a couple of days; couldn’t sleep the next night and was up until 2am. DH just 🙄 when we’re all walking around the house chatting or making toast at 3am on our off days, he is a definite morning person.

Glad the fish seem to be ok, @bobbiwoz! Would love to see some pics of your pond if you want to share! (I love pics!)

Had to go back with a notepad to write things I wanted to say. Hard to be away for days! Will try to be as brief as I can as I feel this is getting lengthy already! :laughing:

Easyas 🙏 for difficult decisions. Never fun. I say you keep all the flip flops! I always lose mine somehow so keep a lot on hand.

Flyingdumbo, glad you got the nice tablecloth! I lIke it! I was talking to DH about the crossword puzzles and he seems to think that papers have the same crossword puzzles in different papers. We’ll have to make sure we send them on different days!

Snowysmom, it must be bittersweet looking at new places. I was going to add that a second bedroom might be handy not just for grandchildren, but for (perish the thought, i know, but leave it to me) if you need a caregiver to stay with you some day. We built our in-law apt when Mom was just 69. She lived with us for 25 years. It was only in the last year or so that the handicap features we’d put in came in very handy! (Like the wide shower with seat and hose, and one level living, etc.) I LOVE the I Got You Babe story!! (Will think of you and Chris next time I hear it!) Oh, and I love the idea of a flex room - that would be fine in place of a second BR! So many good furniture options today for rooms like that. (I think about these things, too, for retirement.) Sounds like you’ve made real progress cleaning out the house. That must be a relief.

PollyannaMom, Carol, bobbi, taz, love your pics! There can never be enough pictures! Love the hawk - but they scare me a little. Never felt that way till I got a small dog! Had to learn to be careful when he was out in the yard, which kind of freaked me out a bit. Now he’s too much of a load for a hawk to carry away, I think, lol, but I still keep an eye out! Hope your GS is better, Carol. Have you tried using a keyboard for your iPad? I always had one, and they work well. Logitech makes good ones if you do a search. I like the combination case and keypad.

dazed, thanks. I agree that having the right dog is so much better than living with a dog that isn’t a good fit. I think I’ve told the story of what our trainer used to say about a little old lady that used to drive into the class parking lot with a young border collie jumping all over her while she was driving. He’d shake his head and say, “That’s not the right dog for her!”

Frog, I agree, some of the rescues can be difficult to deal with. I understand they are mostly volunteers so I fully appreciate the work they put in, But from this side, it can be hard.

Kirby, how awful about the situation with your DD. Keeping them in my prayers.

B&B, good luck with your househunting! Video made me laugh! :lmao:I agree the loungefly bags are nice. I actually think they’re pretty good quality for the cost - something I think that has been lacking with a lot of Disney merchandise for a while.

Judique, I like what your friend had to say about pet nutrition. Will go back and quote it if I can. (When I try that these days it jumps around, so I can’t always do it.)

She reminded me that pet food is marketed to humans not to pets. So if the proper nutrition is there and the pet will eat it, your good to go.
👍🏻

I hope the situation with pet food availability improves. I think I mentioned Toto has been itchy since DH substituted a different food for him when they were out of his usual. What a pain! He never had that before.

Auntie, sorry about your family’s second pet loss. You’ve never a downer!

Taz, saved you for last! Thank you for sharing your trip with us! You did a nice job, felt like I was there! It sounds like you are very prepared for everything that comes your way, but with just yourself to help carry all that stuff, it became very difficult. We had to take Mom with us two years running (we went down for baseball which we weren’t going to miss) because she couldn’t stay alone anymore and someone else watching her turned out to be harder than just taking her ourselves. But boy, it was challenging! She had the wheelchair and walker (her own) and hats and sunglasses she didn’t want to wear, and bags she didn’t want to carry, and on and on. The picture of your DH reminded me of a couple of classic pictures we have of Mom from those trips. In one, DH is standing in front of Spaceship Earth with Mom and all this stuff hanging off the wheelchair - but, get this - he’s holding an umbrella over Mom’s head in the pouring rain! :rotfl2:We got her on a lot of rides but it wasn’t easy! Sometimes we had to lift her onto or into a boat or car (thinking of Pirates and Test Track) people’s mouths were agape watching us. Then one day she decided she didn’t want to go on another boat ride (in Mexico where the wheelchair rolls right on, which she didn’t understand), and she jammed her foot down to stop while DH was pushing the wheelchair and her leg bent pretty good. She yelled and then blamed DH for hurting her leg!! Mind you she was 92 and 93 on these trips! Back at the hotels DD and I were getting her in the tub and bathing her, doing her hair just the way she liked it, cooking her food she liked and making her coffee, like a freakin princess! Then she’d complain her hair didn’t look good in pictures or the food was just “so-so”. ! It was really unbelievable! I was completely exhausted by the time we got home!! On one of the trips we had the same flight as DS’s team, and the flight got delayed and didn’t take off till 2am! So we had Mom in the airport next to DS and his whole team, thankfully he was a good sport about it. But yikes, I can relate to how difficult it can be caring for someone disabled on a Disney trip. And it sounds like you didn’t have any help, either, right? Doing all that by yourself is tough. It sounds like you’ve had to sort of grieve the loss of the idea of future Disney trips with Jim (who is handsome, btw!). I hope you can find a way to enjoy trips in the future, whether you re-think the trips with him (more hands on deck, maybe?) or take some solo trips. As I said, that picture I could relate to. DD and I talk about patient care a lot, and as I tell her, if it’s hard on us caring for them, it’s hard on them being disabled, as well. Sure, they can be total pains at times, but it’s still got to be hard being the one who can’t do anything, where they know are inconveniencing others, even if we want to do it. But we are fortunate when we still have them with us and to still get to enjoy these moments together. For that, we can be grateful. Some of those moments, now that Mom’s gone, I can really appreciate, knowing she had some great vacations before she went downhill, especially since she hardly ever went on vacations - probably at least not in 20 years or so before that. I think I mentioned here before that Mom thought Small World was like “being in Heaven” since she loved dolls. I like thinking about that now.

Last edited:
Brrrr..... It's 0 today with a -20 windchill. DH has chemo this afternoon. Please send good thoughts that his labs permit the chemo.

This week, I need to take Christmas down :sad: I really miss it, but I admit I also enjoy how clean and tidy it seems afterward.
We are getting Everyplate meals this week so that will be nice for a change.

Praying you all stay healthy both mentally and physically. Also hope all you kitty owners can find the supplies you need:-)

Brrrr..... It's 0 today with a -20 windchill. DH has chemo this afternoon. Please send good thoughts that his labs permit the chemo.

This week, I need to take Christmas down :sad: I really miss it, but I admit I also enjoy how clean and tidy it seems afterward.
We are getting Everyplate meals this week so that will be nice for a change.

Praying you all stay healthy both mentally and physically. Also hope all you kitty owners can find the supplies you need:-)
Praying for him. 🙏 I got chemo in winter, too. Made it hard. I was always cold when I got there, and my veins were collapsed, so getting an IV in was difficult. Hoping he is able to get it today, and does ok with his treatment.

I forgot to update - DH is doing really well after his surgery. I am going to write a nice note to the doctor to let him know and to thank him. And DD is a lot better, too. Also going to write a note to one of the doctors who treated her, as well, as, thanks to him, they were able to figure out what was wrong with her. The first doc she saw in Urgent Care blew her off.

Good Morning friends,

I don't drink coffee, but I do normally drink a morning hot chocolate! :) I have come to so enjoy this Hot Chocolate from Ralph's. Sometime's I have it twice during the day.

It is good to see new posters, dear Pea and long -time ones, such as yourself, too:hug: Continued prayers for your DH.

Dazed, big hug to you as well and prayer for your DH, my friend.

I hope all of your 🐶and🐱's get their needed food! Thank all of you again always for the loving homes you provide to both humans and pets alike.

Lynn, 🙏 on the chair and to you and Mr. L in general always!

Cool Monday morning here. Dad is out doing some morning shopping. I'm going to shortly finish watching worship service from yesterday. I shall check back later.

ETA: Oriental Trading through Wednesday has Free Shipping on Any order no minimum!

❤to all.

Last edited:
Good Morning. Nice and chilly 29 here. I need to keep a check on my pipes as they have frozen in the past. So far, so good but the bathroom sink seems to be running a little slow. I can't get anyone out right now because I am isolating. I was exposed to Covid through my grandkids so I have 2 more days. I don't think I was close enough to them to worry but I was around them last Tuesday and Wednesday and Benny came down with it Wednesday night. Then Wyatt, Anthony and finally my daughter. Of course she gets it the worst because of her auto-immune disorder and the doctors don't want her to get the vaccine until there is more data available. Thankfully I did get vaxxed but not the booster which doesn't seem to help anyway. The boys were all down for about 12 hours and then were fine and completely symptom free.

I started cleaning out the one spare bedroom. When we had our bedroom redone everything got dumped in there. I kept putting it off because Jim had the strokes right after that and I just got lazy. I have decided to decompress the house. 38 years and we accumulated a lot of JUNK! My husband is a hoarder. I finally convinced him he doesn't need his work uniforms anymore. He hasn't worked in 5 years and has been retired for 4. It will take some time because I also need to get the living and dining rooms cleaned out for the work to start in early February. Again, just need to decide what is worth keeping and what gets tossed or donated. I can't wait til I am done.

@Pea-n-Me - Thanks for the post. It is hard adjusting to his limitations. Jim LOVES roller coasters and wild rides, they are now off limits because of the heart condition. He was NOT happy and fought that with his doctor. Boat rides were a disaster and he just stopped riding them all. It is hard for him because he worked 7 days a week and 60+ hours at his regular job. He went from that to being able to do nothing. I do let him help out with the trash and when I run errands, he will go with me and just sit in the car. I do make sure he goes to his monthly breakfast with his retired co-workers. Even that is an issue at times. I want to just drop him off so he can enjoy the comradery and he wants me to stay. My kids tell me to drop him off, that I don't belong there. I was prepared for some issues when he was older, I never expected it to happen in his late 50's. He was only 58 when he had the strokes.

His best friend went on a bus trip to Nashville late last year and I told him that is something we can look into. I won't have to drive long distances and we can go do some things we talked about. He is open to that idea. I also told him that I am looking into getting a walker with a seat. This way he can walk as he likes, BUT he can also sit and rest. More importantly he will have more stability than a cane offers. I probably will do Disney alone, but I will take shorter trips. I do have help with him right now as my kids all live within 5 minutes of us. That will be changing though as my son and one daughter are looking to move in the next year or 2 and will be at least a half hour away. They want me to look into an over 55 community and we both said NO! I have some wonderful neighbors right now and I don't want to leave the house I raised my kids in.

Add to all of this with Jim my dad has dementia. He has been slowly declining since he had cancer about 6 years ago and I sort of expected it. Dad was in surgery for over 8 hours and that much anesthesia isn't good for an 80-year-old brain. Christmas was hard because I noticed a big decline in his cognitive issues. We had poppers, the kind that the English have. Dad couldn't figure it out so he just peeled it apart. Then he kept looking at the little present inside trying to figure that out. I had to tell him they were little spoons. He asked me several times over dinner what they were. If my mom doesn't make sure he gets up early he won't eat all day. Even then he doesn't eat a lot. He has lost a lot of weight over the last year. What is really heart breaking is that he has reached the stage where he knows something is wrong with him and doesn't understand it. Dad will be 86 in April, and I feel horrible, but I hope one of his medical issues takes him from us before he forgets who we are. I think that will hurt much more than losing him to death. I am blessed that I have had him as long as I have. His father died at 56 and his grandfather died in his late 40's. He always joked "he was living on borrowed time and cheated the Grim Reaper more than once, sooner or later his 9 lives will be up." I am lucky that one of my brothers lives 5 seconds from them and he checks on my parents every day. Of course, my mom does still feed him dinner every night so that is a nice trade off.

QOTD: I never carry a purse/handbag. I figure that's what my pockets are for. When I was younger, I was a huge Tomboy and they were annoying. When my kids were babies, I threw everything in diaper bags. With the grandkids I transitioned to backpacks. I still use a backpack most of the time when I need something. I do own a Coach handbag I won at a Designer Bag Bingo, it is Blue and goes with nothing. I won a Bright Pink large Coach bag of some sort at another Bingo. I have used that on occasion when I travel solo. This past summer I bought a Dooney and Bourke Phillies bag, I use it exclusively for ball games since they are restricting backpacks in the Ballpark now. It's a nice size and fits some snacks and water bottles. I do have a Baggalini Crossbody bag I got for Disney trips. The only problem is the one trip I kept forgetting about it and left it in the basket of the ECV when I went on rides. My travel companion wasn't too happy with me that trip. First, I lost my wallet, thankfully in our room, and then I left the bag in the scooter with all my money and wallet in it. She told me to wear shorts with deeper pockets and forget the bag. When it comes to backpacks and that type of bag, I am a bit obsessed. Right now I have 3 Backpacks and several Disney tote bag type bags. I also have 4 backpacks, 3 insulated large cooler bags, 6 insulated lunch bags and a couple others - all brand new with my Credit Unions logo on them. They gave them away for free and I couldn't resist getting several. Now I don't know what to do with them.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Our Walmart has more litter that I use (the 40 lb boxes of Special Kitty scoopable) in stock than they have had in forever. They have some in the regular cat litter racks,,and another 2 shelves in one row next to the cat food row full of it. I have at least 6 boxes down stairs. My cats will only eat Friskies seafood dry food, and 2 will only eat 9 Lives dry..I have plenty of those, and Chewy has the 22 lb bags of those in stock if I need more. I keep at least 2 16 lb bags downstairs of each, plus I have 3 full 32 quart containers down cellar. The third has the Special Kitty Gourmet outdoor cat food..which is what the outdoor cats get. I admit it,I spoil all of them, lol!

I thought of you when I was in Costco yesterday. The friskies box is 60/5.5 ounce cans of pate, 10 flavors for 30.99. They used to have Fancy feast in a smaller pack for a reasonable price but haven't had it in quite some time. I shopped at the Brandywine Costco this time around. You can find me at a lot of the area Costco's since daughter lives in Laurel and son is in Gaithersburg so often I will be up that way or over in Virginia also.

Wow..that is cheaper than the $.60 I pay for cans in Walmart, and the ones I got on Chewy this morning ( the 40 can Farm Favorites comes out to $.70 a can). Our niece and her husband live in Gaithersburg too!

I also had to buy a different litter. It's still in the van and I don't remember the brand name. I ran out of the Fresh Step that I've been using for many years. Had to order something online last time that cost me triple from Amazon to get same day delivery, so decided to go with what Costco had in stock. We will see how it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter