Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

Love him. Been following him ever since he started making the videos, and he does a show too. Great for kids. My DS loves his POV. i like when he does something like parade he shoots from multiple angles the edits together. For sure check him out.
I subscribed!

Hey guys! Feels like I haven't come over here in ages! Did I miss anything?

We got to go to Pandora on Friday, which was pretty cool. My hopes were low for this area, I'm not a fan of Avatar and was disappointed with RoL, but I was really impressed! I can answer any questions if you have them?

Leave tomorrow, AP Preview on Saturday. :drive:

Land looks stunning, boat ride too. Nervous about FOP. Excited about food and drinks. :drinking1

VERY excited about Happily Ever After. :cool1:

Leave tomorrow, AP Preview on Saturday. :drive:

Land looks stunning, boat ride too. Nervous about FOP. Excited about food and drinks. :drinking1

VERY excited about Happily Ever After. :cool1:

Enjoy! Let us know your thoughts! Speaking of FoP nervousness, we'll be using FP+ for the boat ride ... not chancing a wasted FP as a result of my tree trunk legs!

Enjoy! Let us know your thoughts! Speaking of FoP nervousness, we'll be using FP+ for the boat ride ... not chancing a wasted FP as a result of my tree trunk legs!

Our issue is fear of heights for me and DS. Me, I can struggle through in most cases if alone but having DS1 with me changes everything. He is disabled, multiple issues, severe panic attacks (physical), severe fear of heights, inability to understand abstract of safety ..... these vehicles are apparently 3-6" over the edge (but by time he sees we will both be "locked in", dip as if you are going down and my fear is he freaks out ...

I can send DS2 in first to check it out but then I don't want to go in alone with him (he's an adult) so don't know if DS2 can ride twice. Will for sure ask for bottom level. NOW this may be my issue because he has come to love Soarin' (I hate it due to heights but also it does not impress me) but in your seats you are always tilted back not directed towards the floor. We shall see ...

Our issue is fear of heights for me and DS. Me, I can struggle through in most cases if alone but having DS1 with me changes everything. He is disabled, multiple issues, severe panic attacks (physical), severe fear of heights, inability to understand abstract of safety ..... these vehicles are apparently 3-6" over the edge (but by time he sees we will both be "locked in", dip as if you are going down and my fear is he freaks out ...

I can send DS2 in first to check it out but then I don't want to go in alone with him (he's an adult) so don't know if DS2 can ride twice. Will for sure ask for bottom level. NOW this may be my issue because he has come to love Soarin' (I hate it due to heights but also it does not impress me) but in your seats you are always tilted back not directed towards the floor. We shall see ...

My dad has height and claustrophobia issues, but like your DS he enjoys Soaring (though he prefers to be in the back row since it doesn't go as high). There are some POV videos of the entire ride available, I just watched one and it has left me cautiously optimistic that I won't have leg issues and dad will be able to handle it. Might be worth your while to watch a few so you can prep your DS. ... it looks amazing though!

@HopperFan have a great trip & I hope FOP goes well.

We booked a last minute trip for 4th of July. We'll be spending the 4th in AK. I figured it's going to be insane in MK & Epcot so this would be better for us. I was able to get ds7 & dh fp for FOP. Dd4 is too short so I'll get a rider swap so I can try it. I got us a fp for the river ride which she'll love. I got everyone a FP for ROL.

I'm so sorry... I'm sure this has already been answered, but 795 pages is a LOT lol. Any guesses when more ROL dining package dates will be released? We are going Nov 2017. Not sure if there has been a system... like June 1st Sept will be released.... etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :worship:

Heading to hotel ...

HAPPILY EVER AFTER was amazing. Loved it!

Won't spoil.

Will say DS1 who is multi-disabled, while loved the music and fireworks - had to sit down halfway through. The projection part was very stimulating, too much for him. So any with sensory may want to be in tune.

I'm so sorry... I'm sure this has already been answered, but 795 pages is a LOT lol. Any guesses when more ROL dining package dates will be released? We are going Nov 2017. Not sure if there has been a system... like June 1st Sept will be released.... etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :worship:
I'm sorry to say I have no guess on when...but I'm sure they will offer them.

I have simulator and claustrophobia issues so I'm skipping FoP. My DH is definitely doing it (he's okay with simulators but not roller coasters) and I may let my 5 yr old but I'm not sure. He's very cautious but says he wants to try it. He's fine on Soarin' (so am I) but that's about all he's tried. He will try Star Tours this trip he says but it's after our AK day.

Pandora is WOW!

Even if it had no rides, the incredible detail of the land is pure art.

And that come from a critical twosome that know Disney can but often does not.

And I can understand why it took so long and no doubt was way over budget for Disney :)

First up ............. my Rivers of Light story only you all can appreciate.

So I'm driving to Disney with both DS for our Pandora Preview. DS2 and I are up front, DS1 in back. I've mentioned before he is disabled, lots of things going on, he is basically considered non-verbal as he speaks in one/two word groupings ... 3 if it's something really special. He gets his point across. He overall functions as a very young child although has some higher skill levels. Well his language is actually improving since we got him on YouTube .... he's become a super nerd always researching and writing stuff down. He found out about Disneyland due to YouTube and seeing videos of rides he didn't know ... demanded to know ... and we had to tell him about Disneyland. Now he wants to go.

SO ............ we are driving down the road. He's listing rides he wants to go on and then ............. he said it. "Rivers of Light" ............ ugh. He's never seen it, I went on a trip without him. Maybe he will forget after all our Pandora was 6-8 pm. It was a packed park, hot and off we went to Pandora. Suddenly he asked about Rivers of Light .......... me - "uh, yes, we are going right now. River ride in a boat and we'll see lots of lights." Thank you Navi' River ........... well so I thought. Afterwards he pulls a park map out of his pocket, folded down small to only show Rivers of Light. So off we went to see if we could catch the 9:15 ....... nope, theater full and standby line for 10:30 full. We hustled to get over to Flame Tree and there was one spot left just for him.

And the worse thing ever happened ............... he was completely mesmerized. Normally at shows/parades after a couple minutes he glances some and looks away some, just his style ... he'll go home and watch on computer but this show he was glued to it with a smile. The animals were his absolute favorite. Noooooooooooooooo. He's going to want to see it every trip. Thank goodness for the bar! I'll be gathering some more lotus flowers I guess, take them home and make my own rivers of light.

OH and he thought there was a finale cause right after it was over we were able to see the Star Wars fireworks.

(you can barely see him far left, leaning over the fence taking in every moment)

BE90A4BE-1F82-468B-9B4D-4458739B4FB6.jpg

744CB7DF-1D63-482A-A3A3-A182E89B3692.jpg

I'm glad he was able to see it. How did FOP work out?

Beyond amazing, all my fears to rest. We rode twice, could have gone more but wanted to make sure we saw as much of the land as we could. We kept telling him "Soarin' on a motorcycle". He grew to love Soarin' (I can't stand the height part). The queue is super long with lots of different "sets" so there was so much to see and look at. The first time we rode we asked for bottom level just in case. He really enjoyed the preshow rooms because you kinda show on screen and they ask everyone to move and dance ... he giggled and thought that was fun and watching the others in our group dance. Everyone was having fun with it.

We get into our ride room, put our stuff up and sit down, DS2 and I on either side of him. I pushed on his back to get him all the way forward and said the back in coming so he was ready. He loves the motorcycle rides at arcades so the seat was fine with him. I had to get him to push his legs inside as the natural position is for you to have them back at an angle. None of us had any issues with the leg restraints and both DS2 and I actually had a gap of space since we didn't have our knees bumped on the bumper. I looked and saw his back and front were pretty tight so he was in there quite firm ... and he has a "belly" so I felt good about that. The fronts of the motorcycles (for lack of better term) are tight together so you can't see the floor ... my major concern because then you would also see drop off.

He was quite interested in the screen down on your motorcycle dash because you see your face, Navi face, skeletal and it kind morphing together. So he was engaged. When they take up the "garage door" in front of you, to trick your brain not to see it there are about five led lights in your dashboard that flash much like a strobe. That close to face, I think they need a warning. Someone could still be affected even if they just don't like bright lights. It's an easy go around, just lay your hands flat on top of your dash covering it and you won't get hit with the lights. Once the door is up (and you don't see it moving due to the lights) you are seeing stars and eyes trying to focus. Then there you go ...

You are flying. The floor does move, 2 feet vertical breaks occur in back of your room from the main wall where cubbies are. This is what probably keeps it so smooth. I have vertigo and get nauseous on some rides/car rides. I was turning my head constantly to the back of room, the other levels I could see with lean and look, looking at DS etc ... at no time did I feel dizzy. Even Soarin' can make me queasy. The height issue would only kick in due to the movie as you can not see the floor even looking down. The way you appear to be flying is the screen is wrapped above and below you and likely not very far out there. I looked around SO much that the second time we rode I thought there were new scenes because I missed so much.

DS1 ............... WOW ............... we go to Disney so much because he loves it (as do we), but he lives for it, the characters are his real friends (Mary Poppins remembered him this trip and talked about how often we visit her) and we see a smile there that we see no where else. It's natural, spontaneous and pure joy smile. Well, this was even beyond that, it was like he was free. He laughed, he smiled, he looked at us both with such joy. First time his glasses were loose and moved and he reached up to fix, laughing (not holding on, rare). While the ride is awesome, I almost cried just seeing him have that few minutes of pure happiness. All my fears were gone. Next ride we went up a floor. PS He loves to get wet so the few splashes of water were icing on the cake.

All rides have names to him, not necessarily the right ones ... Halloween Mansion, Halloween Hotel, Three Caballeros Boat ............ this one is now Flying Dragon.

For me, hating Soarin', loved this. What an amazing job they did. The banshee breathing (at your knee points so bring legs in as if riding a horse) was so cool. There were also vibrations in the back restraint that I wish I could bring home. They truly created a movement that felt legit, even a barrel roll. But I watched closely the other floors and our "tipping forward" is nothing. The chairs do work independently because I had my hand on DS hand first ride and could feel our seats lean left and right different. It really is much like the motorcycles at the arcade but much more smooth and controlled. I think because the floor does some of the pitch the motorcycle does not have to.

Suggestions:
- Have no fear. We are both very height fearful, I have vertigo, slight claustrophic. No problems.
- Flat foot (with thick skecher bottom shoes) to top of leg space was about 25-26"
- Trick if you are bothered by restraints ... put legs slightly back and sit up straight. I did this second time to test. Everything locked. But then I had ample space to not feel the restraints.
- You are not going to fall or anything, this is simply to keep you in your seat. The floor movement and break in back would make it dangerous if you got out.
- Move your head where you want to see, trying to look down through glasses (like bifocals) creates blur.
- Both rides, multiple times we were told "NO PHOTOGRAPHY, NO VIDEO, NO GO PROS".

Seriously I think everyone should try it. This is my scribble of the theaters, the black is the screen best I can figure. While I could see where it ended on sides against our rooms, you could see no end on floor or ceiling so you really felt you were out there flying.

038AA66D-C74F-4A58-ACBF-B9EEFF811F08.jpg

Na'vi River Journey ................... beautiful colors, lights, intriguing effects in places. The Na'vi AA is smooth and flawless but I didn't like the presentation with her wearing an outfit and seated.

Afterwards I said "It's beautiful but has no purpose." DS2 has seen the movie, I purposely decided to not watch it so I could see if someone who had not seen can enjoy the land. You can. But we both agreed the boat is blah. He said they had the potential to educate us (AK motto) about the Na'vi and what we were seeing. Why not tell us our guide will join us, then when we see that first one on right (only one big other than AA) he "joins us" and then a speaker in the boat tells us what we are seeing and what is happening when we see them in the distance etc. Where are they going? It would have made much more sense to educate us about the Na'vi world. It was just a fairly quiet float that made me feel like something that was supposed to engage us was broken. DS said it perfect, remember when they rode the ride with Whoopi and they explained to her along the way what you are seeing. We need that. That was the only disappointing part.

The land itself is spectacular, true work of art.

Beyond amazing, all my fears to rest. We rode twice, could have gone more but wanted to make sure we saw as much of the land as we could. We kept telling him "Soarin' on a motorcycle". He grew to love Soarin' (I can't stand the height part). The queue is super long with lots of different "sets" so there was so much to see and look at. The first time we rode we asked for bottom level just in case. He really enjoyed the preshow rooms because you kinda show on screen and they ask everyone to move and dance ... he giggled and thought that was fun and watching the others in our group dance. Everyone was having fun with it.

We get into our ride room, put our stuff up and sit down, DS2 and I on either side of him. I pushed on his back to get him all the way forward and said the back in coming so he was ready. He loves the motorcycle rides at arcades so the seat was fine with him. I had to get him to push his legs inside as the natural position is for you to have them back at an angle. None of us had any issues with the leg restraints and both DS2 and I actually had a gap of space since we didn't have our knees bumped on the bumper. I looked and saw his back and front were pretty tight so he was in there quite firm ... and he has a "belly" so I felt good about that. The fronts of the motorcycles (for lack of better term) are tight together so you can't see the floor ... my major concern because then you would also see drop off.

He was quite interested in the screen down on your motorcycle dash because you see your face, Navi face, skeletal and it kind morphing together. So he was engaged. When they take up the "garage door" in front of you, to trick your brain not to see it there are about five led lights in your dashboard that flash much like a strobe. That close to face, I think they need a warning. Someone could still be affected even if they just don't like bright lights. It's an easy go around, just lay your hands flat on top of your dash covering it and you won't get hit with the lights. Once the door is up (and you don't see it moving due to the lights) you are seeing stars and eyes trying to focus. Then there you go ...

You are flying. The floor does move, 2 feet vertical breaks occur in back of your room from the main wall where cubbies are. This is what probably keeps it so smooth. I have vertigo and get nauseous on some rides/car rides. I was turning my head constantly to the back of room, the other levels I could see with lean and look, looking at DS etc ... at no time did I feel dizzy. Even Soarin' can make me queasy. The height issue would only kick in due to the movie as you can not see the floor even looking down. The way you appear to be flying is the screen is wrapped above and below you and likely not very far out there. I looked around SO much that the second time we rode I thought there were new scenes because I missed so much.

DS1 ............... WOW ............... we go to Disney so much because he loves it (as do we), but he lives for it, the characters are his real friends (Mary Poppins remembered him this trip and talked about how often we visit her) and we see a smile there that we see no where else. It's natural, spontaneous and pure joy smile. Well, this was even beyond that, it was like he was free. He laughed, he smiled, he looked at us both with such joy. First time his glasses were loose and moved and he reached up to fix, laughing (not holding on, rare). While the ride is awesome, I almost cried just seeing him have that few minutes of pure happiness. All my fears were gone. Next ride we went up a floor. PS He loves to get wet so the few splashes of water were icing on the cake.

All rides have names to him, not necessarily the right ones ... Halloween Mansion, Halloween Hotel, Three Caballeros Boat ............ this one is now Flying Dragon.

For me, hating Soarin', loved this. What an amazing job they did. The banshee breathing (at your knee points so bring legs in as if riding a horse) was so cool. There were also vibrations in the back restraint that I wish I could bring home. They truly created a movement that felt legit, even a barrel roll. But I watched closely the other floors and our "tipping forward" is nothing. The chairs do work independently because I had my hand on DS hand first ride and could feel our seats lean left and right different. It really is much like the motorcycles at the arcade but much more smooth and controlled. I think because the floor does some of the pitch the motorcycle does not have to.

Suggestions:
- Have no fear. We are both very height fearful, I have vertigo, slight claustrophic. No problems.
- Flat foot (with thick skecher bottom shoes) to top of leg space was about 25-26"
- Trick if you are bothered by restraints ... put legs slightly back and sit up straight. I did this second time to test. Everything locked. But then I had ample space to not feel the restraints.
- You are not going to fall or anything, this is simply to keep you in your seat. The floor movement and break in back would make it dangerous if you got out.
- Move your head where you want to see, trying to look down through glasses (like bifocals) creates blur.
- Both rides, multiple times we were told "NO PHOTOGRAPHY, NO VIDEO, NO GO PROS".

Seriously I think everyone should try it. This is my scribble of the theaters, the black is the screen best I can figure. While I could see where it ended on sides against our rooms, you could see no end on floor or ceiling so you really felt you were out there flying.

038AA66D-C74F-4A58-ACBF-B9EEFF811F08.jpg

I love this update!!!

Thank you so much @HopperFan! You put all my FOP fears to rest! My kids are dying to ride it, but I can get naseaus on Star Tours, so have been really sweating this ride! Glad to hear how smooth and seamless it was!

Did you see any guests get turned away for size? This is my other fear....DH is big (not Pooh-sized big, but tall and broad and just big all over). I'm worried mostly about the leg restraints, as he has trouble squeezing his legs into SDMT. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Love all the details you provided, can't wait to experience it all next month! (Even ROL! Lol!)

I have simulator and claustrophobia issues so I'm skipping FoP. My DH is definitely doing it (he's okay with simulators but not roller coasters) and I may let my 5 yr old but I'm not sure. He's very cautious but says he wants to try it. He's fine on Soarin' (so am I) but that's about all he's tried. He will try Star Tours this trip he says but it's after our AK day.

You should try it. If you can do Soarin' you can do this. I hate Soarin' the height terrifies me and the movie is warped and makes me nauseous. Imagine the Soarin' seats are permanently mounted and you walk up a ramp or steps to your level. You enter a room that is probably 18' x 10' so not small. You sit on your seats and once the garage door goes up it's just like Soarin' except your feet are not hanging and the screen is wrapped so you see sky above and the land below. If you look left or right (depending on where you are sitting) you see the other guests but you won't see those above or below because you are sitting on the vehicles. It all feels very wide and open and I never felt it tight. Kinda freeing.

As I said first ride I looked everywhere, behind me alot, to the sides, to my DS so much so the second time we rode I thought it was a different movie cause I missed so much. All that turning my head and no nauseous at all. Mission to Space my side-eye glance to DS ruined by day.

You should try it. If you can do Soarin' you can do this. I hate Soarin' the height terrifies me and the movie is warped and makes me nauseous. Imagine the Soarin' seats are permanently mounted and you walk up a ramp or steps to your level. You enter a room that is probably 18' x 10' so not small. You sit on your seats and once the garage door goes up it's just like Soarin' except your feet are not hanging and the screen is wrapped so you see sky above and the land below. If you look left or right (depending on where you are sitting) you see the other guests but you won't see those above or below because you are sitting on the vehicles. It all feels very wide and open and I never felt it tight. Kinda freeing.

As I said first ride I looked everywhere, behind me alot, to the sides, to my DS so much so the second time we rode I thought it was a different movie cause I missed so much. All that turning my head and no nauseous at all. Mission to Space my side-eye glance to DS ruined by day.

I have different issues. My fears are that I'm going to fall off of or be thrown out of the ride vehicle, hence I can't do roller coasters. I love Soarin' (though the recent change is terribly warped on the sides) and I'm OK with flight simulators as long as I'm secure in my seat. I guess my biggest fear of FOP is falling off the vehicle, or fear of falling off if it dives. Is there much diving with the cycle?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter