Surf and Turf Disney Style…..30 days of food on land and at sea! 06/16 WPE

Day 26, September 7

Joe's Crab Shack

Another day we spent away from the parks and did some shopping and around midday we wanted to try something fun offsite. So when we drove past

IMG_2614.jpg

Joe's Crab Shack we knew we had found what we were looking for.

Once we had been led to our table Tom ordered a Diet Coke and I got one of these .....

IMG_2606.jpg

Strawberry Comfort, squeezed lemons, mixed with sweet strawberry puree Southern Comfort, Bacardi Limón Rum and Sprite. Still a bit on the sweet side, but a great drink on a hot day ..... and plenty of it too. Not to mention there was a lot of alcohol in it! :rotfl2:

I was not very adventurous with my lunch. I ordered the

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2609.jpg

Crispy Shrimp, a dozen lightly breaded shrimp, served with fries and coleslaw. And even though it was not something special it was very tasty and exactly what I wanted that day.

Tom went for something different, the

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

Samuel Adams Steampot, Sweet Snow crab, 1 pound of clams, meaty lobster claws, and smoked sausage, all steamed in Samuel Adams lager,

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

which he enjoyed very much. It was a bit of work to get into all the shells, but he did very well and he loved what he had on his plate! :thumbsup2

Next up - Outback Steakhouse

Hey Karin :goodvibes

I'm back home and reading your reviews to try and keep away the post Disney blues :sad2:

Great to see lots of non-Disney restaurant reviews, we are looking forward to venturing off property to eat a lot more on our next trip :thumbsup2

Hey Karin :goodvibes

I'm back home and reading your reviews to try and keep away the post Disney blues :sad2:

Great to see lots of non-Disney restaurant reviews, we are looking forward to venturing off property to eat a lot more on our next trip :thumbsup2

Linda, you are back already? :scared1:

How was your vacation and your Fantasy cruise .... have you started your trip report already?

Your new destination looks interesting! :thumbsup2

I have always enjoyed Joe's Crab Shack meals over the years. We have a few here in San Antonio, Texas. They are a great value for seafood. Glad you guys were able to try it out.

Tom's meal looks fabulous. We used to have a Joe's here but it went out of business. It was too expensive for what you got

Your CG meal looked tasty, but I can't eat any spicy food.

I would kill for one of those donuts right now, so good!:yay:

The Crab Shack in our area close a couple of years ago. We went a couple of times, but it was just too greasy for us.

We have an Outback near us, but I'm not to fond of them either. I don't like the taste of my steak overwhelmed with seasoning. They do have a drink that I love. It's some sort of peachy thing that is so refreshing & delicious!

Jen, we did Narcossee's last Sept. & loved it. Karin glad to hear your opinion about Fulton's. We have ADR for there in Sept. I can't find many reviews for Fulton's.

The Crab Shack in our area close a couple of years ago. We went a couple of times, but it was just too greasy for us.

We have an Outback near us, but I'm not to fond of them either. I don't like the taste of my steak overwhelmed with seasoning. They do have a drink that I love. It's some sort of peachy thing that is so refreshing & delicious!

Jen, we did Narcossee's last Sept. & loved it. Karin glad to hear your opinion about Fulton's. We have ADR for there in Sept. I can't find many reviews for Fulton's.

I don't care for outback either. It's way too spicey of a steak. The salad dress I had twice now (French) was gross. I ended up sending my slad back last time because it was so nasty and he gave me soup or something like that. We've gone a couple of times hoping it wil lbe more to opur liking, but we just can't like it yet. I'm not too picky on steak, but they don't do it for me. LOL

Good to hear about Narcoossee's. I am going to keep it for now.

I have always enjoyed Joe's Crab Shack meals over the years. We have a few here in San Antonio, Texas. They are a great value for seafood. Glad you guys were able to try it out.

:thumbsup2
It was really nice food, and the price was very good! We were both really pleased with it! :goodvibes

Tom's meal looks fabulous. We used to have a Joe's here but it went out of business. It was too expensive for what you got

Too expensive? Wow, they must have different prices in different states or the quality of food must have lacked, as the one we went to, was really good value for money. :goodvibes

We have always had good food at the CG, but some of it IS a bit spicey. But we really enjoy that.

It amazes me how the quality of a chain restaurant differs from state to state. We really enjoyed our visit to the Crab Shack and will definitely return.

Be warned about Fultons! They changed up a few things after we were there and Nicki didn't like it at all last time she went. :thumbsup2

I don't care for outback either. It's way too spicey of a steak. The salad dress I had twice now (French) was gross. I ended up sending my slad back last time because it was so nasty and he gave me soup or something like that. We've gone a couple of times hoping it wil lbe more to opur liking, but we just can't like it yet. I'm not too picky on steak, but they don't do it for me. LOL

Good to hear about Narcoossee's. I am going to keep it for now.

Even though I haven't reviewed it yet, I have to mention that we both liked the Outback Steakhouse. Yip, different from a US steakhouse, but we both love spices. I haven't had a salad there yet, but then we are used to a totally different kind of dressing here too, so I am open to new things.
But thanks for the warning! :goodvibes

Day 26, September 7

Outback Steakhouse

In the evening of this day after having to make a few decisions we decided to head off property again and drive to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner.

Even though it was packed we were seated right away and ordered our drinks. Tom had a Diet Coke and I tried the

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

Cherry Limeade, sweet cherries, tart lime and some Sprite made up my drink, which was nice, but it was a bit too much on the sweet side for me.

We decided on ordering a starter and went with the

IMG_2624.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

Aussie Cheese Fries, topped with melted Monterey Jack, Cheddar, chopped bacon and served with a spicy ranch dressing. We were glad to have only ordered a small portion to share as this was VERY greasy. The fries were crisp and covered in cheese and small pieces of bacon. And even though this went directly to our hips it was still very tasty when dipped into the ranch dressing. :rotfl2:

Tom ordered the

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

Sirloin & Shrimp, their signature sirloin paired with Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie, served with a loaded baked potato and some Bernaise sauce. I didn't try it myself, but there were no complaints and he cleared his plate.

I had gone for

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

Filet with Wild Mushroom Sauce, Wood-fire grilled petite filet topped with rich Marsala and wild mushroom sauce and served with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh seasonal mixed veggies.
The filet was cooked perfect to order and was very tender. I loved the rich taste of the mushroom sauce and the potatoes were a perfect thing to go along with it. They were not too garlicy at all.
And what I really like about the veggies is that they are NOT cooked to mush, but still had a nice crunch. :thumbsup2

We skipped dessert in favour of the Mickey Head Cake in our fridge. ;)

Next up - Starring Rolls

Hi Karin :goodvibes

We tried Outback a couple of trips ago and loved it

DH had a great steak and I still dream about their baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter :cloud9:

I must say your steak does look good.

It was really good and the sauce was wonderful! :thumbsup2

Hi Karin :goodvibes

We tried Outback a couple of trips ago and loved it

DH had a great steak and I still dream about their baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter :cloud9:

I am glad you liked it too!
We first went there a few years ago in Key West, where we found it by accident. :lmao:

Day 27, September 8

Starring Rolls

We left our villa early in the morning, to make it as close to rope drop as possible at DHS.
And after the first few rides we needed some "fuel". So off to Starring Rolls we went.
We have been there before and Tom loves their sandwiches, so he got one,

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

the Turkey Focaccia with

IMG_2640.jpg

chips. There was a huge amount of turkey meat, some ever so lightly dressed salad, roasted peppers and mayonnaise on the focaccia bread. It is definitely large enough to share. I hade a bite just for "reviewing" purposes ;) :rotfl2: and it was VERY yummy. :thumbsup2

I cannot go to Starring Rolls without ordering something sweet, so I tried another cupcake. :goodvibes

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

I tried the Red Velvet Cheesecake cupcake. I had read a lot about it and was eager to try. It is red velvet cake, with a small dollop of cheesecake on top, all topped with heaps of creamcheese frosting, which is covered in chocolate and toffee pieces.
Now, while I liked the cupcake (there have not been many sweets I didn't like ;) :lmao:) I won't get it again. We are not used to Red Velvet cake and something in the texture and taste reminded me of cheap Aldi cake, not something I would pay $4 for. :confused3

Never the less we both finished our snacks (even though I think I wasn't able to finish all of mine :confused3) before we headed off to get on more rides.

Next up - Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company

I am not a huge fan of red velvet cake. In fact, most of the time I don't like it because it tastes like food coloring to me. I believe... it is chocolate cake with tons of red dye and some sour cream in it to make the chocolate cake more...tart :confused: the one at SR is the FIRST one I have liked. Maybe you would like a red velvet somewhere else since it seems like SR's is a bit different.

Lots of great food shots!!! YUM!!!

I am not a huge fan of red velvet cake. In fact, most of the time I don't like it because it tastes like food coloring to me. I believe... it is chocolate cake with tons of red dye and some sour cream in it to make the chocolate cake more...tart :confused: the one at SR is the FIRST one I have liked. Maybe you would like a red velvet somewhere else since it seems like SR's is a bit different.

Lots of great food shots!!! YUM!!!

Ann, to be honest, most of our cakes are quite different than the ones in the US, but there are some that I truly love.
The Red Velvet cupcake reminded me of a bundt cake Aldi has - it tastes "artificial" (don't know another word to describe it) - and while I liked the icing (something else we don't have/do here - and the cheesecake "heart" it's not a repeat for me.
As for food colouring, I might be the odd one out, but I tried the tie dye cheesecake at POP once and most of it went in the bin as the taste of the dye turned me off royaly! :rotfl2:

And speaking of royal ....... here is something I would like to post in honour of the British queen's diamond jubilee! :flower3:

fiveSixth_jubilee.jpg

Day 27, September 8

Bubba Gump

We spent the afternoon waving goodbye to the Disney DREAM and when we got back we knew where to have dinner.
So we made a pit stop at Universal and went to Citywalk for dinner at Bubba Gump.
We were immediately seated and I ordered my favourite drink.

IMG_2665.jpg

Strawberry speckled lemonade!
What's not to like about it, tart lemonade, sweetened with real strawberries and a little strawberry sirup! :cloud9:

Tom went with something different this day .....

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

the Captain's Fish & Chips, beer battered Mahi Mahi, crisp French Fries, Tartar Sauce and coleslaw. And it really was a great catch! The fish had a nice crisp batter and there was plenty of it. He enjoyed it a lot.

I ordered what I had been longing for for a long time.

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

The Dumb Luck Coconut Shrimp, served with Cajun Marmalade and Fries. I really really love them. The shrimp are plump and juicy and the lightly sweet coconut "batter" goes so well with them. Dipped into the Cajun Marmalade it is the most wonderful thing on the menu for me. :thumbsup2

We skipped dessert at Bubba Gump, as there was something else at Citywalk that I wanted to try. ;)

Next up - Cinnabon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter