Switch pass: still useable if over height requirement?

It’s at the discretion of the CM. I would not count on it.
It’s been a long time since my DD was tall enough but too scared. We were repeatedly denied at ToT and were expected to all join the Line and swap inside.

I would not count on being able to rider switch without entering the queue.

I'm very sorry to hear that happened to you. I would have been very upset in your shoes. Did you complain to guest relations? What did they say/do? I definitely would have had their own website displayed on my phone when I walked in there.

If they want to change their policy, they are free to do so. But until then, they should honor it as posted. I wonder why there is a disconnect?

Except that there are disclaimers all over the website and it doesn't even correctly explain rider swap to begin with. IME guest relations will back up the attraction CM's.

edited to add - I wholeheartedly agree that the pp you quoted should qualify for rider swap.

Last edited:
I wonder if a person took a screen shot, printed it out, and kept it in their back pocket to pull out and ask to speak to a manager for reinforcement of Disney's policy, if that would work. Sounds overboard, but I had a very bad experience last time I was in Disneyland with a rider switch pass and a CM. It was the only business that ever actually made my break down crying right there in line. She was meaner than a hornet. I am beyond paranoid about rider switch passes now. It was so bad, I am not sure I will ever actually visit Disneyland again

They won't care about a 'screenshot' - it could be faked. The CMs (or managers) have the last say, as they are on the front lines. I hope you get help dealing with your issue about breaking down crying and paranoia. I hope you can get past them and enjoy Disneyland again.

People with babies and toddlers could do this too. If this is the concern, they should only allow the first rider into the FP queue if both parents have FPs for the ride. Otherwise the first parent should wait in the regular line and the second can go in the FP line (as this was originally intended so the second parent did not have wait through the longer line making it double waiting for them to do the ride). This way they would not have double fastpasses and could allow parents with taller children to use the rider switch without having to ride alone. (I believe they let someone else go with you? I've never used it myself.)

But that's comparing apples to hot dogs. Too short children cannot go in the queue. Tall enough ones can. The second part makes no sense at all - why would someone who has a FP ever have to go in the standby queue?

The double dipping FP/Rider swap with a tall enough child is when the family books FP for half the family (it works up to a family of 6) So they get 3 FP for one ride, 3 FP for another, then ask for rider swap for the other half of the family at both rides, thus getting 3 on with FP and 3 on with rider swap. The tall enough kid actually walks in later on the RS pass! No one is not riding. So families could book 6 attractions if they all had height requirements. I'm glad WDW is cracking down on this kind of abuse.

I hope you get help dealing with your issue about breaking down crying and paranoia. I hope you can get past them and enjoy Disneyland again.

LOL. I think my husband and that cast member are the only ones who've ever seen me cry. I just don't cry and most certainly not in public. Never! So that says something about how terrible she was. lol. I used the word paranoia very loosely. I just want to be better informed about the process so I can be prepared this time. The DL CM thought I was scamming the system....at the time I didn't even know there were ways to scam the system! And as a result of that experience, half our group couldn't go on the cars ride. We had 2 two year olds with us at the time - we were legit. I would likely go back to Disneyland, but I certainly will not expect one single bit of pixie dust there. I was shocked at what has become of customer service - Walt would be rolling over in his grave. Hoping Disney World hasn't lost it.

They won't care about a 'screenshot' - it could be faked. The CMs (or managers) have the last say, as they are on the front lines. I hope you get help dealing with your issue about breaking down crying and paranoia. I hope you can get past them and enjoy Disneyland again.

But that's comparing apples to hot dogs. Too short children cannot go in the queue. Tall enough ones can. The second part makes no sense at all - why would someone who has a FP ever have to go in the standby queue?

The double dipping FP/Rider swap with a tall enough child is when the family books FP for half the family (it works up to a family of 6) So they get 3 FP for one ride, 3 FP for another, then ask for rider swap for the other half of the family at both rides, thus getting 3 on with FP and 3 on with rider swap. The tall enough kid actually walks in later on the RS pass! No one is not riding. So families could book 6 attractions if they all had height requirements. I'm glad WDW is cracking down on this kind of abuse.

I get what you are saying about a FP rider not going in the standby queue...but the original reason for the swap was because if one parent stood for 50 minutes in line and then switched, it didn't seem fair for the second parent to then stand 50 minutes in line. You shouldn't be allowed to use the FP with a rider swap. That would eliminate double dipping. If you have FP then why can't the other parent just wait for you to come back and go into the line?

I see how some people might pretend one child won't go on it. There are some people who will do whatever they can to cheat and manipulate. Its too bad that everything has to be about cheaters and people taking advantage rather than helping families like the swap was originally intended for.

It’s at the discretion of the CM. I would not count on it.

This. We were able to on Space Mountain. On Everest we were told no way. Our teen son was too scared with roller coasters. We had FP for both rides with our entire party. Teen son jumped out last minute right when the vehicles pulled up to get on each time in a panic.

Last edited:
Ahh, I see the age-old Rider Swap debate lives on.

R.S. gives additional FP entries no matter if it's obtained using standby or FP entrance. Some on here are calling for Rider Swap to be issued only by using standby or having FPs for the entire family. Either way, that family will net more FP entries.

By the way, as a parent of 2 kids with one being too short, I think there is nothing wrong with the current system. I am also anxiously awaiting the day my entire family can ride together and we can pass the "R.S. baton" to the next generation of Disney parkgoers.

So this has clearly been beaten to death, but we are traveling to The World in December. We will have a 23 month old. A "Disney Infant." She is exceptionally tall. Freakishly tall. Asking her to jump through hoops and such just because she is "tall enough" to technically go on a ride is absurd. Legally, she cannot even ride forward facing in a carseat in our state... for fear of serious injury... but by all means, you are "tall enough" at Disney World.

Being legalistic (not to mention refusing to honor their own policies???) to avoid those who abuse the system can truly make planning a trip stressful with plan A, B, C, and D.

I had not even considered the CM would not let us RS with the "(Disney) baby" and 3 other kids in tow. This thread has really made me sad.

Ahh, I see the age-old Rider Swap debate lives on.

I am also anxiously awaiting the day my entire family can ride together and we can pass the "R.S. baton" to the next generation of Disney parkgoers.

THIS. I can't wait to have that picture of all 6 of us together. (not to mention the logistics of RS) We go to be a family. Not work the system.

I get what you are saying about a FP rider not going in the standby queue...but the original reason for the swap was because if one parent stood for 50 minutes in line and then switched, it didn't seem fair for the second parent to then stand 50 minutes in line. You shouldn't be allowed to use the FP with a rider swap. That would eliminate double dipping. If you have FP then why can't the other parent just wait for you to come back and go into the line?

I see how some people might pretend one child won't go on it. There are some people who will do whatever they can to cheat and manipulate. Its too bad that everything has to be about cheaters and people taking advantage rather than helping families like the swap was originally intended for.

No - the original purpose of rider swap passes was so Disney didn't have to deal with too-short kids in the queue, parents trying to sneak them on by saying they'd do swap at the ride vehicle, but then plowing on through and getting the too-short kid on the ride. So Disney did the pass, so that the family doesn't have to wait as long for the second part of the group to ride. They still have to wait longer than a family that can all ride, but it's much less than waiting in the stand by queue. Whether they have FP or not, it's to let them get on as close to the time it would take a family that does not have a too-short kid. Why should a group have to wait longer when some pulled FP for the ride? Or have to ride alone if it's a group of 4? The RS allows you to enjoy the attraction with your group. Who wants to not experience an attraction with their kid?

So this has clearly been beaten to death, but we are traveling to The World in December. We will have a 23 month old. A "Disney Infant." She is exceptionally tall. Freakishly tall. Asking her to jump through hoops and such just because she is "tall enough" to technically go on a ride is absurd. Legally, she cannot even ride forward facing in a carseat in our state... for fear of serious injury... but by all means, you are "tall enough" at Disney World.

Being legalistic (not to mention refusing to honor their own policies???) to avoid those who abuse the system can truly make planning a trip stressful with plan A, B, C, and D.

I had not even considered the CM would not let us RS with the "(Disney) baby" and 3 other kids in tow. This thread has really made me sad.

None of the attractions she will be tall enough for are like a car accident. Actually, none of the attractions anywhere are like a car accident, so you don't need to worry. How tall is she? There are a few different height standards at WDW - not sure how accurate this site is but:

http://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/can-you-ride-check-walt-disney-worlds-height-requirements/

It lists age requirements as well? Which attractions are you most concerned about?

Lots and lots of experience with this as my son was tall enough for all rides at age 5 and terrified of the dark, roller coasters indoors etc for long after that. They always had us switch off in the loading area. No pass. They let my other son ride twice if he wanted but that's it. When the ride lets off elsewhere they have you wait at the off load area and then get on so you can pass the other non riding kid to your finished adult rider. I always thought that was fine. And my younger son understood we are a family and while we did what he wanted he had to wait for what we wanted. Now everyone is older and I'm the one who needs the rider switch lol. This is so not a big deal.

Maybe if you are even questioning her reaction then she’s too young. Also by you riding doesn’t determine her reaction. Kids are their own people with their own emotions. We all know we can’t read their minds and what we think is scary, they may not and vice verse.

Why are you sad? If she's tall enough to ride there are no "hoops". Everyone simply gets in line and you swap where the ride loads. Like in the old days before Rider/Baby Swap. If you don't want to do that then you can add additional "hoops" to your planning and schedule your FPs so your kids are split up between your DH and you with some time between the FP start times. DH goes with kids(s) on earlier FP time and you wait then you go with kid(s) on later FP time. It does mean that some of your other kids won't ride twice. I would do that one for Tower of Terror. My DD hated the preshow and the inside queue even after she was tall enough to ride.

We’ve been here all week. We’ve gotten rider swap at pretty much every ride. In my experience, the CM’s have barely looked up when I asked for a swap. I can’t remember a single one who looked over to where I pointed at my husband and two boys. Obviously, I’m not guaranteeing anything as it’s up to the indidviual CM, but just sharing my experience.

As others have said, I too look forward to the day when we no longer have to do rider swap. It’s more of a hassle than anything else. Sometimes my husband or I will choose not to use the swap and just skip the ride so that we can move on to the next attraction rather than do every one twice.

We’ve been here all week. We’ve gotten rider swap at pretty much every ride. In my experience, the CM’s have barely looked up when I asked for a swap. I can’t remember a single one who looked over to where I pointed at my husband and two boys. Obviously, I’m not guaranteeing anything as it’s up to the indidviual CM, but just sharing my experience.

As others have said, I too look forward to the day when we no longer have to do rider swap. It’s more of a hassle than anything else. Sometimes my husband or I will choose not to use the swap and just skip the ride so that we can move on to the next attraction rather than do every one twice.

By "at pretty much every ride" you do mean every ride with a height requirement, right? And is one of the children is too short to ride?

Thanks for posting! I was starting to think we were some sort of unicorn family because we've never had an issue either. But honestly if I ever had a problem with my tall-enough kid (I haven't yet) I'd just start getting the rider swap without her there. 9/10 CM's do not care or ask to see the non-rider. I do not feel guilty whatsoever because we use the swaps as intended, not to sneak the tall-enough kid on extra rides. And as you said, sometimes we don't even use the swaps so we can move on, and we don't make it back later. People are getting oddly upset about this.

Thanks for posting! I was starting to think we were some sort of unicorn family because we've never had an issue either. But honestly if I ever had a problem with my tall-enough kid (I haven't yet) I'd just start getting the rider swap without her there. 9/10 CM's do not care or ask to see the non-rider. I do not feel guilty whatsoever because we use the swaps as intended, not to sneak the tall-enough kid on extra rides. And as you said, sometimes we don't even use the swaps so we can move on, and we don't make it back later. People are getting oddly upset about this.

I am glad it works for you but this is so different from our experience, we have never been given a swap without the child present and sometimes the CM will even measure them to make sure they are too short. Worst was for Soarin when the toddler was sleeping in a stroller outside and strollers aren't allowed in the land. Maybe we look sketchy LOL

Not being argumentative or upset but I still feel that my experience is valid and folks should know that this isn't always the case!
Its a great program when used as intended by both parties; the guest and the CM and I would hate to see it leave due to abuse.

I am glad it works for you but this is so different from our experience, we have never been given a swap without the child present and sometimes the CM will even measure them to make sure they are too short. Worst was for Soarin when the toddler was sleeping in a stroller outside and strollers aren't allowed in the land. Maybe we look sketchy LOL

Not being argumentative or upset but I still feel that my experience is valid and folks should know that this isn't always the case!
Its a great program when used as intended by both parties; the guest and the CM and I would hate to see it leave due to abuse.

Oh I didn't mean people like you who had a bad experience! You should be upset! I mean people who seem upset that RS exists at all.

I really wonder what the rhyme or reason is on who is given grief and who isn't. I am rarely there when DH asks for the swaps - often DD and I are in a nearby ride or show. (I often take her to BaTB when he rides those two rides down there with my other DD.) He just says, can I have a swap for my wife, and they just hand them over. One time, DD considered riding splash, came in the line with us, but chickened out at loading, so she and I exited. A CM, without me saying a word, just handed me a swap "in case she changes her mind."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter