Switch pass: still useable if over height requirement?

Not being argumentative or upset but I still feel that my experience is valid and folks should know that this isn't always the case!

I had that experiences too where I was denied. My sister and BIL didn't know how RS worked, and it was their first time in a Disney park and first ride of the first day. We rope-dropped the brand new Cars ride. In the massive rush of people, her hubby and mine got in the queue while she and I were still standing at the entrance asking the CM about the switch pass with both of our too-short toddlers in tow. The CM explained our hubbies had to be present with us and then took the time to measure both kids. Meanwhile the line grew to an hour wait and hubbies were long gone. She told us to just get the switch passes at the next CM up the queue. 30 mins later, with both kids still in tow and still split from the hubbies, we encountered the next CM in the queue. I explained what happened, and she said no, our whole group had to be present. I asked her what to do then since we had the kids with us, and she said we'd just have to get out of line and wait for them at the exit and then get back in line again (which was not going to be an option with that wait). At that point I was 1000% confident though that it was a misunderstanding because this is Disney - they invented customer service, and it didn't even dawn on me that I could be doing something wrong cause at the time I didn't even know there were ways to "game the system" and had I known, I never in a million years would have done it because integrity is everything. I was completely calm because of those things, and tried to explain again, this time delving deeper into how the situation played out, but as I spoke, I became aware that she was becoming more and more agitated with me. When I stopped talking she said, "Maam, I am not giving you guys a SP, that is final, and you need to step out of this line right now." I had NO idea what was even going on and felt like I was in some sort of twilight zone. My sister said she would just skip the ride and wait for the guys at the exit, and she left. I asked her to radio the CM at the entrance. She said they didn't have that capability and even if she did, she wouldn't. I asked to speak to a manager, and she walked away to call him. I followed her and she turned around and snapped, "Stop following me!" I stopped dead in my tracks, not even sure what to do. It was one of the strangest experiences of my life, so much so, it was actually kind of frightening. I've never had a business provoke actual fear before. I was having visions of getting kicked out the park, but I had absolutely no idea what for. I was just trying to use the RS option offered to guests. The mgr came, said he stood behind his CM and didn't believe me. That was when I just lost it. At that point I thought it must have been something to do with my appearance, which is clean cut and 100% normal in every way, but I didn't know what else it could be. It was clearly something about me in particular. Overwhelmed, I just sat down on the concrete and started crying. I was so disappointed that I had to miss the ride I was so looking forward to for many months, my sister had to experience Disney in that way after us talking it up for years, sad that we wasted the precious morning hours on that experience, sad that I could never trust Disneyland again, sad the Disneyland had lost its innocence, sad that the happiest place on earth had become something so hostile and accusatory. After a minute of me just sitting there, head in hands, the manager told me fine, he'd put my sister and I in the line where they load the people in wheelchairs, but that he was fully aware I was lying and I should be ashamed of myself. Needless to say, it was not a fun ride. Thankfully, the character breakfast at the Disneyland hotel, where they treated our party like royalty, helped bring a little bit of the Disney I know back. From now on, I will be extremely mindful of doing everything exactly proper when it comes to RS. I don't ever want to repeat that again.

By "at pretty much every ride" you do mean every ride with a height requirement, right? And is one of the children is too short to ride?

Yes. Every ride with a height requirement. We have four kids, two tall enough girls and two too small boys. So yes, we always have a too short child, not a too big but scared. However, like I said, the CMs have never asked one way or another. Just handed us the swap. Again, this isn’t saying a strict CM won’t be a stickler for the rules.

Why are you sad?

Hmmm... Since you're asking... I think my sadness is that Disney created a policy. They didn't have to, but they did. Then people do a ridiculous amount of planning while considering said policy. Only to have Disney refuse to honor their own rules and guidelines. Then to vehemently defend Disney for refusing to abide by their rules and guidelines. That makes me sad. That and Disney's legalistic approach to this instead of a client service orientation.

Oh, and she's tall enough to technically go on attractions she is not physically mature enough to handle. But if that antiquated site is still somewhat true, then her age will get her out of them... if the CM cares or abides by that policy. o_O

Yes. Every ride with a height requirement. We have four kids, two tall enough girls and two too small boys. So yes, we always have a too short child, not a too big but scared. However, like I said, the CMs have never asked one way or another. Just handed us the swap. Again, this isn’t saying a strict CM won’t be a stickler for the rules.
But you had the too small boys with you. So of course you had no problems.

I feel bad for the CMs. They have to obey the rules to keep their jobs, but then they have to deal with upset guests. They just can’t win.

I feel bad for the CMs. They have to obey the rules to keep their jobs, but then they have to deal with upset guests. They just can’t win.

evidently they don't. their own rules state: "If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem!"

Hmmm... Since you're asking... I think my sadness is that Disney created a policy. They didn't have to, but they did. Then people do a ridiculous amount of planning while considering said policy. Only to have Disney refuse to honor their own rules and guidelines. Then to vehemently defend Disney for refusing to abide by their rules and guidelines. That makes me sad. That and Disney's legalistic approach to this instead of a client service orientation.

Oh, and she's tall enough to technically go on attractions she is not physically mature enough to handle. But if that antiquated site is still somewhat true, then her age will get her out of them... if the CM cares or abides by that policy. o_O
Hmmm ... the guidelines that they follow now are the same as 14 years ago when my DD became tall enough to ride. Not tall enough, get a RS (actually we first swapped at the exits when she was a baby pre RS). Tall enough, get into Line and swap at the front of the Line.

Unfortunately the rules need to be easy for CMs to enforce so its fair to all. It would be nice if they use their discretion and allow your very tall 2 year old to swap outside the queue but I would not count on it. Frankly, it’s tons faster to swap inside so look at the bright side!

FWIW, I am not sure there are age limits on anything. The link posted mentions Body Wars which has not been open for years and years so I don’t think it’s particularly reliable.

Here is Disney’s list with no age mention:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-for-attractions-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

evidently they don't. their own rules state: "If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem!"
It is no problem. You can swap at the front of the line.

But you had the too small boys with you. So of course you had no problems.

Yes that’s true. But my husband and I rarely went up together. Most times, DH and the stroller were about twenty or so feet back to stay out of the way. I would point to them when I asked for the swap. But 9 times out of 10 the CM didn’t even glance in the direction I was pointing. They just handed me the swap.

Hmmm ... the guidelines that they follow now are the same as 14 years ago when my DD became tall enough to ride. Not tall enough, get a RS (actually we first swapped at the exits when she was a baby pre RS). Tall enough, get into Line and swap at the front of the Line.

Unfortunately the rules need to be easy for CMs to enforce so its fair to all. It would be nice if they use their discretion and allow your very tall 2 year old to swap outside the queue but I would not count on it. Frankly, it’s tons faster to swap inside so look at the bright side!

I appreciate that this is the way you were treated, but I am not finding this description on the Disney site? Is this the CM discretion to decide where each party initiates the swap? Or am I missing that explanation spelled out? The site is pretty cut and dry that: "If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem!..." (and it goes on to explain using the greeting CM) If they think I am faking a screen shot, as mentioned, a simple google search will show their own policies. Seems picking which policies to abide by and which ones to ignore is opening a can of worms better left closed.

Maybe it is faster for a switch inside the attraction, but this is a trip for the kiddos. I rather skip my faves and let the baby have fun exploring the area or riding a more appropriate ride... not just waiting for mom to finish a ride so dad can go ride alone. Not the family experience we were looking for. (ETA- I'm not opposed to lines. I just don't ask my baby to wait in a line for a ride she can't do when there is the opportunity to be having fun elsewhere... which is the point of RS IMO)

Last edited:
It is no problem. You can swap at the front of the line.
so I agree. This is better than being turned away all together. But I still think they need to revamp their policy wording. They spell out the protocol on their site and none of this is explained.- (eta- in fact it is pretty specific that "party 2" can go do anything until "party 1" finds them) People will be less angry if Disney would be clear on the policy. They are asking us to do a lot of planning, I just need to know the rules (all the rules) I am playing by!

For years it was called baby swap so I never even knew it was possible to use for older scared kids. I guess maybe like any policy it was being abused by people trying to ride popular attractions a few times without waiting in line?

so I agree. This is better than being turned away all together. But I still think they need to revamp their policy wording. They spell out the protocol on their site and none of this is explained.- (eta- in fact it is pretty specific that "party 2" can go do anything until "party 1" finds them) People will be less angry if Disney would be clear on the policy. They are asking us to do a lot of planning, I just need to know the rules (all the rules) I am playing by!

Not sure what the confusion is - you have a baby you are eligible for Rider Swap and will get the paper Rider Swap pass shown in pictures above.

Simply go to the attraction entrance as a group, FP+ if you have one, standby if not. Ask the CM for a rider swap pass, most CMs will want to see the non rider to make sure your eligible so that's why I suggest going as a group. The party riding first will either get the paper rider swap pass right then or a lanyard and they proceed through to ride while the other party is free to do whatever they like. If the lanyard was issued the CM will swap it for the RS pass when the first rider boards. Then the 2nd parent and up to 2 additional guests can return to the ride anytime that day (sometimes longer) and use the RS pass via the FP+ line.

When a guest can ride but chooses not to they may not always get the rider swap; if not they are offered an alternative type of swap instead.

The website is wrong and it's been discussed here many times, including how confusing and unfair the discrepancy is. I totally understand your frustration but the Rider Switch is only for children who are too short. I would suggest that you make your plans with that in mind and hope that a CM makes an exception for your "freakishly tall" 23-month old.

Maybe Universal is better than Disney on this because we went last Dec and there were multiple rides by then 9 year old was big enough to ride, but did not want to ride it because he was scared. So they let me ride with other DS and then DH rode with other DS and so DS got two rides back to back which was nice. They did not care whether or not DS was tall enough. If he didn't want to ride, they did not make him

Maybe Universal is better than Disney on this because we went last Dec and there were multiple rides by then 9 year old was big enough to ride, but did not want to ride it because he was scared. So they let me ride with other DS and then DH rode with other DS and so DS got two rides back to back which was nice. They did not care whether or not DS was tall enough. If he didn't want to ride, they did not make him

Disney doesn't make kids ride if they don't want to either - in fact they will offer that exact same type of switch (at the exit) when a child is tall enough to ride but chooses not to.

The debate here comes in when families want the "rider swap paper pass" for a child who is tall enough ride but doesn't want to. The paper pass allows for up to 3 guests to use the FP+ line to ride anytime that day - sometimes longer and is "usually" reserved for families who have a child that Can Not ride due to the height restriction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter