• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Take the pledge to continue to wear a mask during the Covid - 19 pandemic

Since you're giving the information for just your area (which is what I presented above... the information for MY area), is the mask mandate the ONLY difference between the counties on the chart? Did the "mask" counties also close bars? Restrict restaurants? Limit gatherings? If mask mandates were the single answer, why isn't my state seeing a significant drop in cases a month after? And before you answer "how many people are following the mandate", I'm guessing you don't know how many are following it in the various KS counties either. We both have anecdotal information (we see most people/few people wearing masks), but that's not facts.
I explained in my comments various reasons why not every area is the same even within one's own state. I feel like I did that well enough to answer your "why isn't my state seeing a significant drop in cases a month after?" or at least give some possible reasons. Should that be taken as the be it all answer? No, but I gave some reasons, you can decide for yourself given your particular area if any of those may be applicable.

The fact that your area hasn't seen an appreciable decrease since the mask mandate does not in fact mean the masks aren't working to a degree. For my state I don't really want to think about how bad it could have gotten if another layer (the masks) hadn't been added given the trend we were seeing. It just exploded in cases.

But TBH I'm a bit confused by your comments. It's almost like you're arguing masks don't help much so whatevs. I don't really have much to contribute there. My original intent was to provide background information to what the PP had posted when they posted the link regarding the news article.

OK, but is his DATA wrong? I tried to look on the chart you posted as well as finding the same chart online and it sure looks like the Y axis are different. It looks like the right hand axis (no mask) reads (from the top down) 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 and the left hand (mask mandates) are 25, 23, 21, 19, 17, 15. So doesn't that mean (at least) the counties with mask mandates have a larger per capita (because that's how the graph is labeled - average of daily cases/100k population). Yes, there is a greater drop in the mask mandated counties, but is that because of masks or other steps?

Here's a slightly better view (you can at least read the axis labels) (source):
View attachment 516708

I'm going to get crucified for this, but I do wonder if something similar to herd immunity (because I don't know what else to call it) is/has happened in hot spots. Once an area gets to a certain number of infections, then numbers start dying down. And no, I'm not saying open everything up. Heck, I think mask mandates should stay in place, anything indoor should be at 30-50% capacity, and anything outdoor should leave things spread out.
Again I said: "Albeit though he may be incredibly bias and NOT a person I would actually take a credible for questioning the graph I can understand reviewing the graph for accuracy and see no issue with that." It's fair game to question the graph but no I wouldn't use that 'doctor' as for an alternate view of the graph, to do that it would preferably be a programmer who is non-biased, definitely not in politics and is only reviewing for accuracy not because they have a personal issue with a person (and boy do they holy cow the comments he is making-geez this guy has zero credibility to me). So if a programmer steps up to review it I'm all for that :)

But TBH I'm a bit confused by your comments. It's almost like you're arguing masks don't help much so whatevs. I don't really have much to contribute there. My original intent was to provide background information to what the PP had posted when they posted the link regarding the news article.
I believe I said repeatedly that masks do help and mask mandates should continue. What I'm against is saying "cases are going down BECAUSE of the mandates." I think they're one piece of the puzzle, and while they contribute to a decline, I don't know how much of that decline that masks are responsible for.

Again I said: "Albeit though he may be incredibly bias and NOT a person I would actually take a credible for questioning the graph I can understand reviewing the graph for accuracy and see no issue with that." It's fair game to question the graph but no I wouldn't use that 'doctor' as for an alternate view of the graph, to do that it would preferably be a programmer who is non-biased, definitely not in politics and is only reviewing for accuracy not because they have a personal issue with a person (and boy do they holy cow the comments he is making-geez this guy has zero credibility to me). So if a programmer steps up to review it I'm all for that :)
You don't need to be a programmer or math person to look at the two Y axis and notice they're different scales. So entwining the lines IMO presents a false story. Many people don't look at the labels and will look at the original chart and see "mask areas had more cases to start with, then after they started wearing masks, now they have less cases". But that's not true. Mask areas have ALWAYS (for the limit of the chart) have had more cases, by many multiples. Non-mask counties have been pretty stable. That's not saying anything about the accuracy of either chart, just how the data is presented.

I believe I said repeatedly that masks do help and mask mandates should continue. What I'm against is saying "cases are going down BECAUSE of the mandates." I think they're one piece of the puzzle, and while they contribute to a decline, I don't know how much of that decline that masks are responsible for.
Okay but you're talking in circles here. A poster posts a story about KS and the decline in cases, you present a counterargument that "well if they work how come my area isn't seeing a downward trend" Well that doesn't mean masks aren't helping in your area though nor does it mean it isn't helping in another area of the country (or that it isn't the main contributor to a decline either).

Here's my county:

Here's the county above me (also in my metro) that also has done nothing but the mask mandate:

Now is there a sharp decline? No, but again the original graph was reflecting mask mandate counties collectively; I'm not necessarily going to go searching for all the counties and their COVID dashboards. But the overall trend is downward; ups and downs no doubt but without the masks the trend likely would have gone up and up and up as no other mitigation was being done. It's far from good, far from fine but we've done nothing in the counties but add masks as of July 3rd. We are also in the metro that shares borders between states and that's why I mentioned it.

I'll totally leave it in that at least some of the counties that helped contribute to a larger decline could have done more than just the mask mandate. I haven't looked up each and every one. Maybe for you it's the "steep decline" versus "downward trend" part of the story. In the end the heart of it is masks are helping out as a mitigation. In the absence of anything else presently it's helping out. That's at least where I'll put my outlook on it given my area. I think it could be more if we have more compliance (as in people wearing it properly and in gatherings) but yeah.

Mask areas have ALWAYS (for the limit of the chart) have had more cases, by many multiples.
The State Health Director was looking at cases per 100K residents. What he was discussing is these more rural counties that in proportion to their population have higher cases also had mask mandates it is the suggestion that their numbers would decrease measurably as well as opposed to staying largely flat or going up.

That's not saying anything about the accuracy of either chart, just how the data is presented.
I can understand that part on the presentation. That's why I would suggest a non-biased person plot it out for the purposes of accuracy (and sure that includes the chart the 'doctor' the person brought up made).

Last edited:

It will be interesting to see if numbers rise after the long holiday weekend. Not letting our guard down.
Masks up!
I would expect the numbers to rise, that to me is a given. What is more important to me is if it becomes a major spike in relation to a given area. Weeks ago our health officials already talked about expecting increases due to Labor Day weekend. Best IMO to expect it at least some sort of increase and hope that it's not a very large one.

🇨🇦 Here, but all in, have been since March, 👌😷
Our mask mandate came into effect on August 4 and compliance seems very high. I had to attend a small meeting last night with people I didn’t know very well. For 15 minutes or so the discussion veered off topic to Covid and the mask mandate, with many complaining about how much they hate it...all the while we were dutifully masked and 10’ apart. I think that’s how many here are dealing with it. Nobody likes it but practically everyone complies. :thumbsup2

Our mask mandate came into effect on August 4 and compliance seems very high. I had to attend a small meeting last night with people I didn’t know very well. For 15 minutes or so the discussion veered off topic to Covid and the mask mandate, with many complaining about how much they hate it...all the while we were dutifully masked and 10’ apart. I think that’s how many here are dealing with it. Nobody likes it but practically everyone complies. :thumbsup2

I hate wearing a mask along with many of my friends and family but we all still do when asked to wear them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter