The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Well, I took advantage of the 45 degree and sunny weather today. After the last wind storm, the cover on the coach ripped. So today I installed the new one.
Was hoping to get 1 more winter out of the old when, but oh well

Was hoping to get 1 more winter out of the old when, but oh well
3 years is about the best I can get. I tried a 4th year on the last cover and it ended up on the ground all the way around the camper last winter. It was after a freezing rain/wind storm and it was frozen to the ground in a nice pile circling the trailer.

j

I have yet to invest in a cover for the 5th wheel after seeing how the cover on my buss was rubbing on the paint. Maybe the newer ones are better, but I found just wash/wax before winter and then follow up in spring did ok. The only issue I had was summer fade on the nose of the last rig and that was a known issue with their gel coat.

Still knocking around ideas for anniverasry, though I think I finally got some good deals for Melissa's birthday rolling.

I have yet to invest in a cover for the 5th wheel after seeing how the cover on my buss was rubbing on the paint. Maybe the newer ones are better, but I found just wash/wax before winter and then follow up in spring did ok. The only issue I had was summer fade on the nose of the last rig and that was a known issue with their gel coat.

That's been my approach. I wash and wax spring and fall, and check all of the roof seals at the same time. I've owned the current rig for 8 years now, and it still looks great. The front cap gets the brunt of the sun in storage, so the 'Rockwood' stickers began to peel 2 years ago. I simply removed them entirely and you have to look real close to know they were ever there. I went back and forth on this question for a long time when we first purchased, but so far this has worked for us.

watched my neighbors new cover get shredded in the wind storm 3 weeks ago, now he has a blue tarp on it. I've had a fifth wheel for over 20 years, never covered them, covers damage paint and trap moisture, RV's are made to be outside, wash, wax and use Meguiar's M49 to remove any oxidation on the cap and decals, never use a pressure washer, it damages seals -- JMHO

I never covered my old 5th wheel and after sitting outside for 13 years, it looked it's age... badly. All the decals were cracked horribly. The cracking and fade started in less than 5 years. The ones facing the sun were peeling badly. Oxidation was bad on the front cap. Several friends have 5ers and a MH that are similar in age that were covered all the time and they looked much, much better.

Hand washing and waxing a 42 ft 5er is not realistic to do multiple times a year (once a year won't do much for year round sun exposure). The newer, higher end, covers are made from breathable material (don't trap moisture) and have a softer inner layer. As for rubbing paint, the key is to strap them tight and check them periodically.

My current 5er is 5 years old. It has been covered since the first week, when not in use, and it looks just like the day I brought it home except for bug strikes putting marks on the front decal. No paint rubs, decal fading or cracking. It takes 10-15 minutes to put the cover on and off. Much less than washing/waxing and a lot less effort. My 5er isn't a high end unit with Gelcoat walls. Just the usual Filon/fiberglass walls and front cap. GelCoat will stand up much better in the conditions. That's why friend's diesel pusher MHs that are 15 -20 years old look almost like new on the outside.

I'll keep buying a $500 cover every 3 years until I see some evidence that it is doing damage. My first hand experience with leaving them sit in the sun says the cover is doing a lot more good than bad.

j

yesterday was kind of a fun day. My friend decided he wanted to run the entire Silver Comet Trail. This trail runs from just west of Atlanta to the Alabama state line. The trail actually continues in Alabama under a different name. The Silver Comet is 60 miles long. Yes my friend wanted to run the entire thing. He is part of a triathlon club so he had quite a few running the first half.

my job was to help him the back half. He did it for me for my virtual. I returned the favor as best I could. I started with him at mile 33. At this point there were 4 of us running. my two running friends and her dad. Dad was starting when I did but only running 8.5 miles. The girl friend started with my friend at mile 15, she was planning a total of 33 miles. I was planning 18 but my friend doing the entire thing was struggling so I made some executive decisions, because ge was incapable. I did my first leg from 33 to 45.5. The girl at that point had 3 miles to go and after 45 you hit the hills. I jumped off, got in the car and we went to the next trailhead at mile 51 and waited. I ate a turkey sandwich and changed my clothes. I was expecting him at 4. He came in at 3:55. I started running again with him. I had to get him to the end which was another 10 miles. He was pretty slow on my first leg and with the hourish rest I got was enough that I powered through 10 more. He was also slower on that leg, which was a little bit hard because I really wanted to go faster.

I did 22.5 miles yesterday. Bert and Mallory had to Sherpa me around. My friend wanted to finish by 5 pm. I was hop for 5:30. I knew when I started it would nit happen he was already off pace. We finished at 6:20. on The long drive home stopped at publix. It was almost 9 pm and I was taking my second ever shower in my new shower. It was glorious, I slept terrible last night and am starving so bert is making me pancakes. I am a lucky girl.

GD & GSIL had a little girl (Elena) last night, officially a great grandpa today

Time to start treating that Great-Granddaughter like a little Disney Princess, team bradfield.

https://www.shopdisney.com/snow-whi...7343653M.html?isProductSearch=0&plpPosition=4

Bama Ed

The cabinet guys were here on Friday. It is a lot better now. We have been using our new bathroom though. I have almost all my stuff put back in the bathroom. I am annoyed because I lost my extra dental floss. It has to be in this condo. I am sure I will find my 3 rolls missing as soon as I get more.

now that we are in the master bath again, we spent all day painting the second bath. Today was two coats of primer all over and one coat of ceiling paint. Tomorrow is hopefully two coats ion the trim and one more ceiling. Next weekend is the walls. Just in time for FIL to visit. Pics coming soon.

i came back to post pics of the bathroom. For sake of this remodel I will call it done. Contractor has to come back for punch list, we have 3 easy things for him. Let’s get to pics.

before looking from the door to the sinks and shower.

E24EB7BF-0C45-4EFA-A5E0-61CEF8B30319.jpeg

After. Putting washer where the shower was. Looking from the door.

99D4F2F6-4864-4F6C-B5CF-3AA82D09AC50.jpeg

more after of sink area

ED1B2DBA-7D44-4386-960C-F897FE771318.jpeg

Washer cabinet where shower was.

F75E5B12-2E8B-4659-A760-E960A1B54273.jpeg

before of water closet shower area

4FD8E03C-15D5-40A4-9017-E1199F45DC69.jpeg

after the toilet area with knee wall and no closet.

05082294-E68D-4858-83DF-4D802F95C279.jpeg

before where tub was.

5BBE8057-4C05-44C2-AFF2-4C651E6BDB8E.jpeg

C5CF54B2-A985-45C9-B0F3-0DE29308BCA1.jpeg
after tub area is now my huge amazing shower. I love it. My favorite thing is the zero entry no step and the shower head.

3E12C3C1-A2AA-4581-94FD-C220DCE35A6F.jpeg

EE8C761B-B303-44CD-BFCF-EF114B528A8A.jpeg
We are now painting the second bathroom. Paint will be the same as master. I forgot to take before pics but it was very dark so this should lighten it up. Should finish it next weekend just before bert goes to bring his dad to atlanta for Xmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter