• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: :sad: No Disney for me in 2019.

brace-yourself-fomo.jpg

ATTQOTD: I quickly booked Pop this morning- I don't know if that's where we'll end up staying, but I feel like those will sell out the fastest.
For those who have stayed at Pop for Marathon weekend, am I crazy for booking here?
I've never stayed at a value before and don't know if it's worth it. We can definitely stay somewhere else, just not sure I feel it's necessary this time for some reason. We wanted to stay someplace different and with CSR and CBR both under major construction, I wasn't sure those were great choices.

ATTQOTD: I quickly booked Pop this morning- I don't know if that's where we'll end up staying, but I feel like those will sell out the fastest.
For those who have stayed at Pop for Marathon weekend, am I crazy for booking here?
I've never stayed at a value before and don't know if it's worth it. We can definitely stay somewhere else, just not sure I feel it's necessary this time for some reason. We wanted to stay someplace different and with CSR and CBR both under major construction, I wasn't sure those were great choices.

I've only every stayed at the values, so I have a different perspective, but I stayed there for marathon weekend in 2016. I thought it was great - lots of runners, lots of buses, and not really noisy (but I lived in midtown Manhattan for 4 years of college, so my barometer for noisy is different than most). I think it's an excellent choice.

I was at Pop for the start of Star Wars weekend in April this year. I was not running, but just there. Anyway, I loved the resort and had absolutely no issues with it. I love the smell of the main building... I think resort smells are a thing, or at least I think they do. The remodeled rooms are done well and the theme of the resort is fun! The only downer I have about value resorts, and this is probably all of them and may include others is the bus. Not bad on the way to the parks in the morning, but at park close its a mess! We shop, walk around, waste time, anything other than run towards the exit because you are going to wait a while to get a a bus.

ATTQOTD: Booked SSR for Marathon Weekend back in February hoping to switch to Boardwalk at the 7 month mark. They didn't have 7 nights available and I didn't want to do a split stay. Only thing available was Polynesian so I booked that. I was hesitating using so many points for just me and did I really need a split bathroom? I booked it so I guess I will alternate using the bathtub and shower. hahaha

... I think resort smells are a thing, or at least I think they do.
Absolutely! Love the smell of Bay Lake Towers :)

it's my first time at BC)
You will love it!!!

ATTQOTD: :sad: No Disney for me in 2019.
Marathon weekend FOMO for me too!!! However, I may still do Princess or Star Wars-if I can convince DH.

I stayed there this past January and I LOVED it, despite being nervous initially about staying at my first value. I thought the room was way better than POR_FQ which is where I stayed for Wine&Dine previously. The buses to the races were fantastic, and I only had one day of issues getting to/from parks. All my non-running stays have been Deluxe, but if I ever only went for a weekend or race again I would totally choose POP!!

ATTQOTD: staying dvc throughout most of 2019 but no booking today and no marathon weekend for me either. January-April is my work marathon in terms of finishing curriculum and testing. So I live vicariously through all of you during marathon weekend.

QOTD: Today you can officially book a package for 2019 for WDW. Who is booking today and where are you planning on staying for marathon weekend?!?!
ATTQOTD: The DVC 11 month window for the marathon was a few months ago. We have a 1 bedroom at Bay Lake Tower for the marathon.
I already booked at my 11 month window opening as we're DVC - we're staying in a 1 Bedroom - Value at AKV!
We also own at AKV and we were there for the 2018 marathon and we are booked there for Star Wars Rival Run in April 2019. :)

ATTQOTD:

I’m kind of scoping things out, but I’m the only variable in my group that I’m sure about so I have no idea how many rooms we might be looking at, whether we might stay offsite, how many people could be coming at various points of the stay, etc. It’s frustrating because I’d like to book everything but no one else in my group had any urgency.

ATTQOTD: I'm not going to WDW in 2019, so I won't be booking anything, but in a little while this morning I'll go on the WDW website and price-check resorts to help me in my planning for 2020.

I want to see whether it's actually possible to get a Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation if you book right when it opens up (every time I've tried a dummy booking, regardless of the dates I put in, it's been sold out). Also want to see what the rates for Marathon Weekend look like at POP so I have a better comparison point for the rates being offered by Acclaim and other travel agents and know whether I'd be getting a price benefit from booking with them or if the only benefit is the guaranteed bib. And, too, probably not right when it opens but later this evening and then a couple times throughout the next week or two I'll be checking marathon availability to see how quickly it sells out. Then, too, I'll check prices and availability on various moderates, particularly POFQ (I like that there's only one bus stop) since I'm planning to do one night in WDW post-cruise on that trip--I can't afford to do a cruise and stay in a moderate over Marathon Weekend, but for just one night at the end I bet I can absorb the cost of an upgrade (I may as well price-check deluxe resorts as well, but I seriously doubt it's going to be an option).

We are booked at Pop for marathon weekend! I have never stayed there at all so I am no help though. Lots of people on the marathon board said it was great for them that weekend though. I booked thru a TA for way cheaper than the room only rate on Disney though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter