• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

I spent the day lamenting the speed of today's slow, hot run with my child. While I had convinced myself it wasn't too hot and I should've run faster I came home to these guys in my backyard knocking down a fire in my creekbed. They said it was heat related (still no idea what sparked it). So I guess it was legit hot today. At least for Ohio.
[GALLERY=]20180618_194501.jpg [/GALLERY]

ATTQOTD I mostly run alone for training. If DH and I are both doing a long run on the same day, we sometimes do the same route/ trail and holler at each other as we pass. We run mostly the same races, except for the “crazy, stupid distances” (his words), also known as ultras. I love having someone to hang out with until time to head to corrals; then he moves into a faster one than me. He has joined me in my corral for all 3 of my Disney marathons though.

ATTQOTD: I like it all, I just take the opportunities that arise: If very early or in a snowstorm or ... I’ll enjoy a run alone. If colleagues are going to run, I’ll join them and ajust my training pace accordingly (sometimes I’ll warn them that I’ll leave them then catch up). If DD or DH want to run, that might be an extra session for me. I even had a large running group once offering me to do their long run with them!

ATTQOTD: All my training runs have been alone. I did one race with a friend though (he adapted to my pace) and that was a lot of fun. Granted, he and I became friends while discussing running.

I'm looking forward to sharing Dopey with various family members though.

QOTD: Do you prefer running alone or with a group? A group could just be one person or many.
Like everything in my life, running is a solo sport. It's not necessarily that I prefer running alone, it's just all I know. When I have tried running with a group, I either end up running alone anyway or (if it's a small group) someone ends up taking one for the team and slowing down to stay with me. No one wants to be the "slow" runner that holds the rest of the group back.

At my half marathon a week ago a runner friend of mine asked if she could run with me. She's about 15 years younger than me and usually faster than me too. However, she had been sick and was just looking to get through the event. I told her if she's looking for slow and steady, I'm her girl! We ran together the first half of the race. It was kind of nice! Then...she was having trouble keeping up and had to walk. She said she'd try to catch up, but I knew I wouldn't see her again. To be honest, it felt kind of good to be the "fast" one for a change! (BTW, I gave up on running myself at mile 11. It was a ridiculously hilly course!)

I really envy those of you who regularly run and train with a significant other! I never thought I would attempt training for a full marathon unless I had someone to train with. I guess I have a few months to either make that happen or toughen up!

QOTD: Do you prefer running alone or with a group? A group could just be one person or many.

ATTQOTD: I prefer running with a group. Something about having others with me helps the miles pass a little quicker and I feel more accountable on keeping pace and not slacking.

I run alone usually. I have run races with people but training is usually alone. It's the time I put on my podcasts and work out the things in my head that are bothering me at the time. Plus, it is hard enough for me to fit my runs in, never mind find someone else that could run at the same time and pace as me.

ATTQOTD: I always run alone, but by listening to podcasts, I often feel like I'm part of someone else's discussion :) It'd sometimes be nice to run with someone else, but I think finding a running partner that matches your training pace and plan would almost be harder than finding a spouse!
I do enjoy the occasional chit chat at races, especially before the race starts and I'm nervous. I've had really memorable, nice conversations pre-race at my last 2 races and have been super thankful for that.

I agree to everything you said. :)

Not to be alarmist, but this video is a good reminder to never let your guard down when running alone, even in broad daylight on a busy street. This happened not too far from me....

https://patch.com/massachusetts/eas...tts&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Amazed they caught the guy. I couldn't catch his plate. Too bad someone couldn't have pulled over to help her.

Most of the time I run alone. When we are in training, my wife and I will run once a week together for a shorter run. I just do my speed and long runs on different days than she does.

Yesterday ATTQOTD: I generally run alone. Maybe once or twice a year I'll run with someone else just because we happen to be running in the same place at the same time.
I've actually been thinking about group runs, but most of the running groups around here are much faster than I am. I know the local Galloway group has people of all paces, but they do their long run at a time when I am never available ... I might try one of their weekday runs (which are open to everyone) at some point, though, to see if I like the group running thing.

QOTD: Today you can officially book a package for 2019 for WDW. Who is booking today and where are you planning on staying for marathon weekend?!?!

ATTQOTD: I need to book a room at one of the All Star rooms today for our first night. We will then check out of that room and head over to the expo. After the expo we will check in to the Contemporary which I booked a room only reservation a few months ago. Wish we were staying in the main tower, but the Garden Wing seemed a little more financially responsible. I do get to find out what the "adjusted" price is going to be though today. Good luck everyone and hope you get the resort and room you want!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter