The Running Thread - 2018

Off topic question: Do you guys run in the pouring rain for a training run? I have come to really hate the TM and the next few days we are supposed to get 2-3 inches of rain one day and 1-2 inches the next. I am wondering how horrible it would be to just run in it? It might rain during my March 4th marathon so I was thinking to just run in it and get used to it...?
Often! Summer = monsoon season in FL. As long as there's no lightning, I never let rain stop a run. I always enjoy it!

Wait! 49 with a feels like 45 in Arkansas tomorrow?? 70 degrees and sunshine for us in Northeastern CT tomorrow! Go figure? Nonetheless, you'll be fine. Once you get wet and miserable you'll forget all about it! Good luck!

Yep. And it is currently 78 feels like 81 here right now. Some thunderstorms tonight with the cold front coming in but by 4:00pm tomorrow it is supposed to be 49 feels like 45 with just rain.

You'll probably be fine in the visor.... I use a visor in the rain, too. It's mainly that the bill of the hat keeps the rain out of your eyes, you get the same benefit with the visor. :)

Great, thanks! I prefer my visor to my hat. :) Now to decide the rest of the clothes lol.

As long as its just rain its not a problem. Lightning is a whole different ball game. I go out of my way in the summer to run in the rain just so it isnt as hot. The end result is the same, my run is done and I am dripping wet. At least the rain doesnt stink as much.

Yeah I'm the same with lightning. Even when there is no rain forecast we get lightning storms here so that will definitely push me to the TM. I've run in light rain, drizzle and in the summer it is awesome in our summer heat too! Tomorrow is just cold (49 feels like 45) with basically pouring rain at the time I usually run after work.

ATTQOTD: I have only run 1 5k for time, and 2 5ks total (just not a distance I sign up for). The one for time was 4 years ago, and I would agree with first mile being the most painful.

Running in the rain: as others have said, yes, if no lightning around. I normally wear a visor, but in heavy rain, I actually go for a hat.

Yep. And it is currently 78 feels like 81 here right now. Some thunderstorms tonight with the cold front coming in but by 4:00pm tomorrow it is supposed to be 49 feels like 45 with just rain.

Near 80 today? That is going to feel even colder tomorrow. Not gonna lie, I will not run in a downpour on purpose. I have been caught many times in the rain and it doesn't bother me too much. But to start in the pouring rain, in coolish temps, knowing it will not stop, I won't do it. Plus, I don't want to spend an hour trying to detangle my hair afterwards. Now if it's a race, I have no choice but to embrace the rain.

ATTQOTD: I have gone on record many times expressing my distaste for 5ks. That pain and lungs on fire feeling is awful. I probably hate the last mile the most, although the first one can be rough also. I do start near the front and hang with the 20 year old boys as long as I can and then get dropped like wet cement and made painfully aware that I am not a 20 year old male runner. The course sometimes has a lot to do with my mile hatred. I love ending on a downhill.

Off topic question: Do you guys run in the pouring rain for a training run? I have come to really hate the TM and the next few days we are supposed to get 2-3 inches of rain one day and 1-2 inches the next. I am wondering how horrible it would be to just run in it? It might rain during my March 4th marathon so I was thinking to just run in it and get used to it...?

I love running in the rain, at least when it is not too cold. Good gear, plan to protect against chaffing and blisters and running in the rain is a great change of pace. It is very doable (IMO).

ATTQOTD: I have yet to run a 5K. Dark Side will be my first. I generally question my decision to sign up for any race the first couple of miles into it. Then once I get over that, I enjoy the remainder of the race(s). This tends to work well for multi race challenges because I'm completely over any negative feelings about running for the longest distance.

Thanks! I would imagine if you didn't run in the rain in Florida you would never get to run outside! :)
By mid-summer, I'm basically begging the skies to open up and unleash some rain on me, lol! Crazily, this past summer I had very few rainy runs; the odds were not in my favor. :(

QOTD: Which mile of a 5k race is your least favorite?

ATTQOTD: Lets be honest here, the 5k race is brutal! The first mile is my least favorite because it's usually crowded and getting into a good rhythm is hard to do with so much moving around. By the end of mile 1 though the folks who went out 1-3 minutes faster than their normal pace start to thin out and the race becomes a little better.
ATTQOTD:
My usual 5k:
Mile 1- uh-oh. Did I go out too fast? Better take care so I've got something left.
Mile 2- oh, no. I took it too easy and now I'm going to miss my time goal.
Mile 3- ok, I recovered some.

Mile 2 gets my vote.

Hoping to find a nice 5k this year, and just see what happens when I just run and don't worry about it.

I will go with mile 2 as the worst in a 5k. Mile 1 is fast (sometimes too fast) but you still have energy. Mile two should mean settling into a pace but the awful realization is that you are starting to deteriorate with more than half of the race left. Mile 3 is the most physical pain but the end is near.

For mental reasons mile 2 is my least favorite.

ATTQOTD: All of them!

This. A properly-run 5K is just absolutely miserable from start to finish. I know I've got to spend the whole race in that "I might die, but at least the suffering will end!" zone if I want to hit my goal, and it's just awful. The only good thing about a 5K is that it's over (relatively) quickly. I set what is likely a lifetime PR in the 5K back in late 2016, and haven't raced one since (not counting the 5K for Dopey, which was just at a leisure pace).

ATTQOTD: An old coach of mine would say that if you are running the 5k properly the whole thing should hurt. And I tend to agree with her. I would say that each mile provides it’s own “magic”. But if I were to pick one it would be the first mile. I am not fast by any stretch of the word and as I take off in the first mile and my heart rate and breathing began to take off I always hate to see everyone still leaving me in the dust... I prefer long distance!

It really depends on the day. Some days when I cross the start I get right into my pace and the excitement fuels me until mile 2 where the magic starts to wear off and that makes mile 3 the worst because I don't run this fast, why am I running this fast, can I hang onto it until the end?

Other days I have trouble convincing my body it really wants to go at a speedy 5k pace and the first mile is a slog of me working myself up to the race pace so 2 and 3 seem like a breeze by comparison.

QOTD: With spring time coming up soon, how do you adjust your running to the warmer temps? How long does it take for your to adjust?

ATTQOTD: The last few days have been around 80 here, so we are getting a early start it seems. Hopefully all the cold weather isnt gone though just yet. To adjust to warmer conditions I run more on feel than pace for a few weeks while I adjust to warmer weather running and then try to get back onto pace.

I'll be back outside so that's my only adjustment.

ATTQOTD: Lets be honest here, the 5k race is brutal! The first mile is my least favorite because it's usually crowded and getting into a good rhythm is hard to do with so much moving around. By the end of mile 1 though the folks who went out 1-3 minutes faster than their normal pace start to thin out and the race becomes a little better.

I don't like 5k's. I have done one official 5k race and it was awful. I ran with my kids and the people who walk the race, 5 or 6 wide so they can chat during the race, they ruined it for me. Just inconsiderate. On top of that, I don't start feeling good until mile 4 or so. If I were to ever run a 5k for time I would need to run a few miles before the race.

Joining in to admit to my distaste for 5k - takes me 3 miles to settle in, so I prefer longer distances!
Exactly!

I will run in the rain in most above freezing temps. If it's cold I wear my running jacket. If it's spring or summer I just go. My roo pouch is waterproof but I still put my phone in a ziplock to be safe and just go enjoy. So peaceful. And it keeps the sweat from burning my eyes so that's a bonus.

QOTD: Which of the following did you find to the most difficult from a physical view point:
A. Zero running to 5k
B. 5k to 10k
C. 10k to Half Marathon
D. Half Marathon to Marathon
E. Marathon to Ultra

Also, using the choices above which one was more of a mental challenge?

ATTQOTD: Physically going from couch to 5k was the most difficult. I was in bad physical condition and actually started out using a couch to 5k app. The first few weeks are not to bad, but then when it switched to more running than walking I thought I would die. The jump up to 10k and half marathon did not seem nearly as bad. In fact I would say each move up was exciting as it was something new and a first. Then when I had all the confidence in the world, I went for the marathon. Mentally this was the most difficult move up. It's so much time dedicated to long runs that seemed to last forever. The really crazy part is your long runs only go up to 20 miles and usually after completing a 20 miler I am drained and think to myself, I still have 6.2 miles to go on race day. However race day is another animal and somehow you find the strength to get that last 10k in, but its sort of a emotional roller coaster during that first marathon. The second isnt much better, but having experienced it once, you know exactly what you are in for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter