The $

We bought the Comm card last year. From memory the initial fee on that was $20.00. First loading was free of transaction charges and after that it was around 1.1% or something like that. I believe both had a similar inactivity fee after 12months.
The big difference was the ability to load different currencies. I can load the card with a combo of USD and CAD. I would have had to get two separate cards with ANZ or pay foreign exchange fees if I used the USD card in Canada.

It is looking really good right now. Hope it continues so we all reap the benefits (and can shop lots!).

The Initial fee on the Commonwealth cards is $15 and its 1% per top up.
If you do it via Bpay its norally at most 12 hours. (believe me i know I work fo the commonwealth and i did the staff traning on it) any questions you have feel free to ask me!

Anyone planning on going to the US should think about changing currency over whilst the rate is at 91 - 92 cents. The US Fed Reserve Bank is talking about possibly raising US interest rates in the next 6 months or early next year. If this happens, and our interest rates stay the same, then our dollar is likely to go down.

Yep sounds good to me at .93 i might add some dollars to my travelex card today.

OK I'm having a very big :scared1: moment right now.

Two friends of mine just went into Travelex to change some money this morning (at different times). One was a friend who was wanting me to buy some things for her, so she was giving me some US$'s. So the rate she was given was .85 + commission. She called me and said, I thought you said it was higher than that. I told her NO WAY that is a really bad rate! The $ is at .93 this morning and the rate on the travelex website this morning was .90 so you should be getting at least .90. She questioned the woman and she was SO rude and said that she didn't know what she was talking about and yes the rate may be .93 but you never get that rate. My friend said she understood that but it's never that much difference. So she left, not changing any.

The other friend of mine is going to the US later this week, so she went in to change a large quantity. She had been to a bank upstairs and got the rate of .90 but they didn't have enough and said they would have to order it in from the Travelex downstairs and it would be there the next day. She decided to just go down to the travelex as that is where it would come from anyway so know the rate would be the same. WRONG! She also got the rate of .85. She showed the printout from the bank upstairs and said thats ridiculous, the bank exchanges from you and their rate is .90 and yours is .85. She said that she was online this morning at travelex and the rate was .90 so why is it so low in the shopfront. The woman wouldn't answer and said that if she isn't happy with their rate she should go elsewhere, so she did. Off to the bank for .05 more. She was changing a large sum too so that .05 makes a big difference.

Anyway, just thought I would share that Travelex story.

Was this travelex at Miranda Sydney by any chance....the woman there is soooooo rude as well. Online is best but I agree .85 is a shocking difference. I think next time I will do something else as I have had issues with them as well this time. As in the on-line rate is not the actual rate unless you confirm with email etc it was a very long process. They trick you into just bpay but then they make the rate up about 3 days later, THATS WHAT EVER RATE THEY FEEL. I send a email saying I would go to dept.fair trading. My account was topped up another $100 making up the difference of what I thought would be the rate i got given that was what was online on the day. Anyway they are rude I hope someone from their company reads this thread.

Was this travelex at Miranda Sydney by any chance....the woman there is soooooo rude as well. Online is best but I agree .85 is a shocking difference. I think next time I will do something else as I have had issues with them as well this time. As in the on-line rate is not the actual rate unless you confirm with email etc it was a very long process. They trick you into just bpay but then they make the rate up about 3 days later, THATS WHAT EVER RATE THEY FEEL. I send a email saying I would go to dept.fair trading. My account was topped up another $100 making up the difference of what I thought would be the rate i got given that was what was online on the day. Anyway they are rude I hope someone from their company reads this thread.

That is terrible!

No it was Travelex on the Gold Coast! So they must be rude around the country :rotfl2:

I won't use them in future, I used Australia Post and Amex and they were both great, lovely staff, great rate and neither charged me commission :thumbsup2

OK I'm having a very big :scared1: moment right now.

Two friends of mine just went into Travelex to change some money this morning (at different times). One was a friend who was wanting me to buy some things for her, so she was giving me some US$'s. So the rate she was given was .85 + commission. She called me and said, I thought you said it was higher than that. I told her NO WAY that is a really bad rate! The $ is at .93 this morning and the rate on the travelex website this morning was .90 so you should be getting at least .90. She questioned the woman and she was SO rude and said that she didn't know what she was talking about and yes the rate may be .93 but you never get that rate. My friend said she understood that but it's never that much difference. So she left, not changing any.

The other friend of mine is going to the US later this week, so she went in to change a large quantity. She had been to a bank upstairs and got the rate of .90 but they didn't have enough and said they would have to order it in from the Travelex downstairs and it would be there the next day. She decided to just go down to the travelex as that is where it would come from anyway so know the rate would be the same. WRONG! She also got the rate of .85. She showed the printout from the bank upstairs and said thats ridiculous, the bank exchanges from you and their rate is .90 and yours is .85. She said that she was online this morning at travelex and the rate was .90 so why is it so low in the shopfront. The woman wouldn't answer and said that if she isn't happy with their rate she should go elsewhere, so she did. Off to the bank for .05 more. She was changing a large sum too so that .05 makes a big difference.

Anyway, just thought I would share that Travelex story.

I never use travelex as I find the rate is almost always much lower. I walked by one at my local shops last week and noticed a 5 cent difference in the rate.

^^^^^

I have always thought that with Travelex - I work at Brisbane Airport and the Travelex office there is about 4 steps away from where I work, but I refuse to go there to exchange any money! I will always go to a bank.
I'm thinking about getting some US$ in the next few days with the exchange the way it is at the moment! :thumbsup2 Even though I don't think I'll be going anywhere until 2012, unless I can swing a trip to Hawaii next year...!!;):confused3

Yes if you can afford to get some now and put it away I don't think you would lose thats for sure. Last year when we went it was at .64 Wow what a difference 12mths can make. It sure has meant we can now stay longer.

Popped into the Travelex in Adelaide today and they were offering 86 cents. Thought it was a little low so didn't end up getting any cash. Will have a look around but want to get some soon as the dollar is so good. You never know how long it's going to last.

I picked some up at my friendly CommBank. Rate was 0.9083 cents this morning; no commission charged by my friendly teller. It should have been slightly better at Aussie Post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter