Travel Changes?

I have never parked a deposit so I don't know the details, but I heard about others doing that. Maybe someone who has done that can comment, or calling ABD directly would provide the definitive answer.
We cancelled our summer ABD last week before the PIF was due because of concerns re. Coronavirus. We will not receive our deposit back. Instead, it acts like a placeholder and we can use it towards another ABD as long as we book before May 2021. We can only move our deposit one time. However, we won't qualify for any discounts when we re-book - even though our original trip was booked with an early booking discount. That's frustrating. I feel that Disney should be making exemptions with the current situation. I wish they would refund deposits or allow us to use available discounts when re-booking.

We cancelled our summer ABD last week before the PIF was due because of concerns re. Coronavirus. We will not receive our deposit back. Instead, it acts like a placeholder and we can use it towards another ABD as long as we book before May 2021. We can only move our deposit one time. However, we won't qualify for any discounts when we re-book - even though our original trip was booked with an early booking discount. That's frustrating. I feel that Disney should be making exemptions with the current situation. I wish they would refund deposits or allow us to use available discounts when re-booking.
I did the same thing today and have until next year to book something. I wish there was a little more leeway too but it’s still far away so I understand.

We just cancelled OYO trip to Netherlands for spring break. Staying home seemed to be the most enjoyable thing at this point. Some things I learned about canceling trips: Right now, Delta is waiving all change fees and penalties for international flights and are issuing a credit to be used 1 year from original ticketed date. If you have non-ABD insurance, you can transfer the insurance to another trip if they allow it, mine did not but some will. I don't know if ABD allows you to move your insurance to a new trip without a fee if they cancel your trip. We had minimal loss, except for a private tour guide who charged us time for working on our itinerary and tickets purchased, but refunded most of our deposit.

that's very reasonable of Delta.

Yes I'm going on the England/France ABD leaving March 12th. Are you in the UK? How is it over there? (Assuming you're in the Uk...)
I'm honestly so far not concerned at all about the London portion, but France has me worrying a bit because they're cases are going up. They're at 100 cases as of today according to WHO. That makes them number 2 in Europe behind Italy.
The other thing is that the Louvre is now closed. What's next...Versailles? Eiffel Tower? At some point this trip that I'm spending so much money on for my family is going to start looking very different than when we planned it.

So anyway yes I'll be making a decision by the end of this week. I'm trying to hold out as long as I can incase ABD cancels so I can get a refund. But there's also a good chance that I might still go if they don't cancel because of my blind faith in the Disney brand to protect me! lol

Seriously though, it sucks. I'm not sure how this is going to play out. I'm making plans for a backup incase it falls through. One thing is for sure I am NOT staying home (in the cold northeast) for vacation!

no word from Disney yet? they're still holding out for this tour?
Confirmed number of cases in France is now 191
Confirmed UK cases were up to 39 yesterday, the additional cases all people returning from Italy (italy seems to be the source for all new cases throughout europe - also where i live).

i get that you have nothing to lose at this point by waiting disney out, to see if they'll cancel.

You shouldn't have any problem at all canceling your flights.
I don't know what airline you're on, per the post above, Delta is offering no-fee changes to international flights, plus a credit for the flight fare to be used within a year. Pretty reasonable (especially for delta).

There is no way i would go on that tour on the 12th.

no word from Disney yet? they're still holding out for this tour?
Confirmed number of cases in France is now 191
Confirmed UK cases were up to 39 yesterday, the additional cases all people returning from Italy (italy seems to be the source for all new cases throughout europe - also where i live).

i get that you have nothing to lose at this point by waiting disney out, to see if they'll cancel.

You shouldn't have any problem at all canceling your flights.
I don't know what airline you're on, per the post above, Delta is offering no-fee changes to international flights, plus a credit for the flight fare to be used within a year. Pretty reasonable (especially for delta).

There is no way i would go on that tour on the 12th.

Every day this goes on the more worried I get. I can tell you that I’m pretty close to pulling the trigger on cancelling the ABD next week but I’m holding out hope that they’ll cancel and I won’t lose a lot of money.

im honestly not worried about the UK, but very worried about France. And plus I’m bummed that they’re starting to close places like the Louvre.

Time is getting away from me, and my mom reminded me we'll be in France end of June for a OYO trip, which is not as far away as I was thinking. Hmmm. We'll wait and see.

I am continuing to struggle with our Tauck Bridges France trip in early July. PIF is the end of the month. I bought business class on Air France during a sale last August... I am pretty sure I would have to eat that cost (times five of us) if I cancel. (AF language is pretty vague, but I *think* I would get hit with the $450 fee and would have to use the credit by August, which isn't happening if I cancel because of Coronavirus. I think that if France is at Level 3 the trip will be cancelled and I should be able to get a refund, but I am just going to have to wait. I think I would go at a level 2. I don't want to rely on the false security that our vastly under-reported numbers due to lack of testing of people without travel history are really any better than someplace like France or Germany.

I think that while a big chunk of the world is going to get this, it likely will calm down some in the summer months.

Just arrived in London after a wonderful flight. We were loaded down with Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, masks, etc, but our first class cabin was about half empty and nary a cougher or sneezer in the bunch. I was thrilled. Felt like a private plane! Masks stayed in the bags :) We are planning to do a lot of walking and avoid the tube (which we normally love) as much as possible. I was hoping to avoid the 24-7 on the virus and elections, but it's all over the broadcasts here, too.

Just arrived in London after a wonderful flight. We were loaded down with Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, masks, etc, but our first class cabin was about half empty and nary a cougher or sneezer in the bunch. I was thrilled. Felt like a private plane! Masks stayed in the bags :) We are planning to do a lot of walking and avoid the tube (which we normally love) as much as possible. I was hoping to avoid the 24-7 on the virus and elections, but it's all over the broadcasts here, too.
Say hi to the queen... Hey look for Royal family dinnerware.

Well, I am 99.9% positive I am not leaving for Italy as scheduled on the 12th. My flights was Atlanta - JFK - Milan and the JFK-Milan leg is actually an Alitalia flight (Delta code share) and it appears you can still book that ticket to Milan. I am sad but will call Delta when the wait isn't so long for a credit to be used in the next year. We travel to Italy often so that is fine.

My husband is currently in Italy - in Florence. He needs to take a test on Friday for a certification he has been studying for. He will be calling in the next couple of days to try to get home early next week. I am still not afraid of the virus, but with the restrictions and the screenings, I really don't want to be stuck, have to quarantine, etc. My company put out a message about limiting travel and self quarantining for 14 days if you travel to the impacted zones. While I could work from home for two weeks, I don't want to be THAT person. My husband, is retired with a hobby job so if he has to live in the basement by himself for two weeks that is not the end of the world. He wasn't supposed to come home until the 24th anyway.

I feel that the date of my travel being the 12th (next Thursday) is in what I would call the window of uncertainty, as we wait to see if Italy can successfully stabilize the situation over there are things start to heat up here. I feel that if I were going on April 12th instead, there may be a clearer path forward - although I know major airlines have cancelled flighst to Northern Italy until end of April. However, I would not be opposed to flying into a different airport.

But, Italy will be there and I will go as soon as I can. Good luck to everyone with the tough decisions.

ETA: I love Italy, my mom was born there, we speak the language, we have relatives, my husband has dual citizenship and we have spoken of potentially living there. A part of me hates to give up the trip because the economy there is so fragile and I sort of feel like I am throwing in the towel. But sometimes issues are bigger than you are, so to speak. Thanks for listening!

I feel that the date of my travel being the 12th (next Thursday) is in what I would call the window of uncertainty, as we wait to see if Italy can successfully stabilize the situation over there are things start to heat up here. I feel that if I were going on April 12th instead, there may be a clearer path forward - although I know major airlines have cancelled flighst to Northern Italy until end of April. However, I would not be opposed to flying into a different airport.

But, Italy will be there and I will go as soon as I can. Good luck to everyone with the tough decisions.

Milan is one of the impacted airports. Perhaps they will give a full refund and not a credit. The credit must be used 1 year from original ticketing date or the date you bought it.

I feel the same way that Europe will always be there.

We just cancelled OYO trip to Netherlands for spring break. Staying home seemed to be the most enjoyable thing at this point. Some things I learned about canceling trips: Right now, Delta is waiving all change fees and penalties for international flights and are issuing a credit to be used 1 year from original ticketed date. If you have non-ABD insurance, you can transfer the insurance to another trip if they allow it, mine did not but some will. I don't know if ABD allows you to move your insurance to a new trip without a fee if they cancel your trip. We had minimal loss, except for a private tour guide who charged us time for working on our itinerary and tickets purchased, but refunded most of our deposit.

Thank you so much for posting this. We have international tickets with Delta, leaving in less than two weeks. Did you outright cancel your tickets? Or did you change them to future dates? I put a call in to Delta, but estimated call back time is 2 hours (which is fine - I can be patient!). I was going to go online to cancel, but it's still saying we will be charged $200 per ticket if we cancel. If we reschedule our trip, it won't be until March 2021 and they don't even have flights released for those dates yet, so I have nothing really to change our flights to at this time.

Well, I am 99.9% positive I am not leaving for Italy as scheduled on the 12th. My flights was Atlanta - JFK - Milan and the JFK-Milan leg is actually an Alitalia flight (Delta code share) and it appears you can still book that ticket to Milan. I am sad but will call Delta when the wait isn't so long for a credit to be used in the next year. We travel to Italy often so that is fine.

My husband is currently in Italy - in Florence. He needs to take a test on Friday for a certification he has been studying for. He will be calling in the next couple of days to try to get home early next week. I am still not afraid of the virus, but with the restrictions and the screenings, I really don't want to be stuck, have to quarantine, etc. My company put out a message about limiting travel and self quarantining for 14 days if you travel to the impacted zones. While I could work from home for two weeks, I don't want to be THAT person. My husband, is retired with a hobby job so if he has to live in the basement by himself for two weeks that is not the end of the world. He wasn't supposed to come home until the 24th anyway.

ETA: I love Italy, my mom was born there, we speak the language, we have relatives, my husband has dual citizenship and we have spoken of potentially living there. A part of me hates to give up the trip because the economy there is so fragile and I sort of feel like I am throwing in the towel. But sometimes issues are bigger than you are, so to speak. Thanks for listening!

not to belabor the point… But just speaking for myself, France seems to be a real grey area. Not a definite ban on travel like Italy but also not as benign as the UK looks. New York Times says 200 cases in France today so it’s definitely going up. Anyway, I hope some clarity will come to this situation very soon!

Milan is one of the impacted airports. Perhaps they will give a full refund and not a credit. The credit must be used 1 year from original ticketing date or the date you bought it.

I feel the same way that Europe will always be there.

I know that Milan is one of the impacted airports, but it seems they will not give a credit because it is an Alitalia flight and is not technically cancelled. But a different agent may have a different answer...lol. We tend to go twice a year anyway, so I am good with either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter