Treadmill Nirvana and other ramblings

Sunny-
I think you AND your DD are doing great! keep it up! I DOUBT that you have flabby arms--your pictures looked great-you have accomplished alot!

Enjoy your weekend!

Hi Sunny,

That's great that your DD has joined the gym, too! :goodvibes I'm glad to hear that you have been able to get some mild workouts in... Please be careful and listen to your body. :hug:

I hope that you continue to feel better, Sunny. :hug: Have a wonderful weekend! :sunny:

Hello!

I'm just back from my camping trip with DS6 followed by my Mother/Daughter Iron Girl 5K with DD16.

DS and I had a great time camping, despite the sciatica/back pain. The back pain is new, it used to be just sciatica. But I'll save those details for another post. I'm doing Core now and packed all the core food I could possibly need for the trip... but it turned out my 17 yo Coleman stove had a leak and I couldn't use it to cook. So I used that as an excuse to go a bit crazy. We ate dinner out two nights followed by ice cream... Then I joined DS in s'mores since I was already "off". :rolleyes: But I didn't gain, TG.

As for our trip:

We climbed a river bed over half a mile. I was careful to teach DS that white water is dangerous but forgot to tell him about moss on the rocks... He slipped and fell (sliding down rocks) about 10 feet, but fortunately only got minor scrapes. We also did a "big" hike. 3.2 mile rount-trip, 900 feet climb. He thought he was going to die on the way up. I used a lot of Billy Blanks quotes to coax him up the mountain. There was a lake at teh top and he tried to swim in it but it was freezing.

We took the inflatable kyack out (on another lake), but it's so light that I had a hard time manuevering it. The wind took it every which way. Next year maybe we'll rent a two man kyack. They have a great bike/kyack rental where you start at the bike shop, drop off the bike, get in the kyack and then they drive you back to your car at the end... Many possibilities!

We also did some commercial stuff-- a water park and a small amusement part witih trained bears. Next year we're taking bikes! There are great paved paths and easy dirt paths and very technical paths for crazies like MelR!

I have to admit, I wish I could go up there with some athletes and really take advantage of the hiking/biking. But DS is coming along nicely!

Getting ready to enter the river bed:
riverbed.jpg

Heading upto Lonesome Lake:
JS_trail.jpg

me_trail.jpg

At the top:
lonesomeLake.jpg

DS tried to swim... very cold!
lonesomeLake2.jpg

The best part of camping.... No fashion police :rotfl2:
JM_fire.jpg

night2.jpg

And my favorite picture:
night.jpg

We got home 7PM Saturday and I was up 5AM Sunday to head out to our 5K. DD did great. She thought she'd be walking most of the race, but instead she walked three times. I only let her walk for 30 seconds at a time, being the nurturing mother than I am ;) We finished 15/48 for the mother/daughter teams with a chip time of 33:17. Not bad considering I haven't been running for a long time.

july9_5K.jpg

The neurosurgeon said I could run and do whatever, just stay away from heavy weights for now. So I am being active again.

I find when I stay on Core I can really get by with less food and feel full. I know its the right plan for me. The hard part is staying prepared with the right foods in the house and cooked in advance, etc. I'm going to try to steer DS towards core foods, too. He definitely has my sugar gene!

Sunny

So glad to hear that Dr okayed running! Whew...

Your pictures look great. DD is beautiful and DS is a total cutie.

Where'd ya go camping? It looked beautiful.

Hope your back pain doesn't get you down...

Hey Sunny...

Sorry I haven't visited in awhile, we had our first camping trip of the summer and then just got back from our annual San Francisco road trip.

Loved your camping pictures. Looks similiar to where we went where the hiking was great. Your son looked like he was enjoying himself (especially roasting those marshmellows :goodvibes )

Good for you getting back into the swing of things. How's the weight doing now that you've gotten back into working out some?

I'm struggling a little myself, but am determined to get it back off before long.

Keep up the great work and keep inspiring the rest of us :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Hi, Sunny!
Just wanted to check in and let you know I am thinking of you.
Are you doing core? I am wondering what you think of it. I am really trying to steer myself toward core foods because I feel as if my carb addiction is controlling my life. Since you have been so successful on WW, I hope you'll post more about what you are eating and what you think of the plan.

Miss you and hoping you are doing great! :hug:

Sunny-The pictures look GREAT ! looks like you had agreat time--congrats on the mother/daughter run --have a great night

Happy Thanksgiving, Sunny! :goodvibes
I hope this finds you and your family doing well..... We miss you! :grouphug: Please post when you can.

It's well past time to make a change. I need to get back to healthy habits for so many reasons I can't understand why I let it go one more day... until days add up to years.

Here's to starting :cool1:

Yesterday I got quite a few steps in. I've been battling hip pain which I refuse to look into. But overall, I have made a few little changes towards progress.

I just read through my entire journal. Wow, I was very successful. The "in between," isn't in my journal.

The back pain and sciatica turned out to be spondyliothesis. The big word I can't spell meant that my L4 slipped out of alignment and was pressing on nerves running down both my legs.

Long story short; it got worse and worse. I ended up having 5 spine surgeries. I was out of work for a year. By the time I went in for my last surgey (spinal fusion and lamenctomy) I was using a walker to get around and really only left the house to go to doctor's appointments. I lived on morphine for 9 months.

I gained 100 lbs.

May of 2008 I had my spinal fusion/lamenectomy and have been pain free since! (Well, after a major staff infection finally cleared up I have been pain free).

I have no restrictions from my surgeon. I started rght back into running and being active. But somewhere around the end of 2010 I started to fade. I have a lot of hip pain but I refuse to see a doctor after all that happened with my back. I am no longer "fearless." In fact, I am scared of pain and I get depressed from it easily. I'd love to find a fantastic therapist who knows what a major injury does to an athlete and help me work through this. But I don't expect that will happen.

So I am taking baby steps to try to get back into the game. One of them is returning to this journal. Sadly, the website that had all my pictures is no longer around so I don't have record of them.

So, enough of this :happytv: and back to this :yay:

:) Sunny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter