TRIP REPORT: This will be the last trip for a long time.....

Now you are taking my right to be annoyed how dare you I paid thousands of dollars to be annoyed. I get annoyed whenever I want. Do you think that you are the only snowflake that can get annoyed.

You are reading it wrong. I don't really have a problem. It was just kind of entertaining to see everyone getting their underwear in a wad because of a silly comment about all the adults in the park.

And yes I was kind of annoyed at all the childless adults clogging up the kiddie rides but watcha gonna do. It's kind of disney's fault for not having enough attractions so people feel they have to get their money's worth by riding every single ride.

At this point in my life Disney is a Vacation I do for my kids. Other people vacation however they want. I'll wait until my kids are able to wait in lines before I consider another trip. Maybe my kids are truly really special snowflakes.

Perhaps you could've avoided all the controversy by saying, "There were a lot of adults in lines for kiddie rides and that was kind of shocking to me."

Not "A negative of my trip was all the adults without kids."

There's kind of a difference.

That won't happen for at least a couple of years do yo think they'll still have paper fast passes by then? Do you think all the childless adults will take all the fast passes out of my precious snowflakes hands?

I sure hope so!!!

If not by then my kids will be older and wiser and hopefully will be able to understand what waiting in line means.

Waiting in long line with twin 2 year old was not going to happen. I was wrong to think my kids would be able to ride the kiddie rides without much wait. Oh well live and learn.

This seems like an awful lot of animosity towards adults in the parks. :confused3

As an honest question- what proportion of line people were childless adults? I guess I have just never seen very many until late in the day (when we tend to ride)

DH and I had DLR APs for several years, and I hate to tell you this, but you will find a lot of us folks at the parks. Unfortunately, even without us adults, the lines are quite long for a lot of rides and activities for the littles. If line-waiting is going to be a significant burden for your small ones, I would hold off on visiting until they have a little more patience. (Not trying to be demeaning or condescending. Just as a hopefully helpful observation) DLR doesn't have fast passes for the Fantasyland rides, and a lot of the queues are in the sun.

Personally? I wouldn't take a two year old to the parks. It doesn't seem that they will remember it, it seems overly stimulating, a lot of walking, etc. But, I don't judge you for choosing differently, or begrudge you your Disney time. I'm glad that Disney can make you happy! And I sincerely hope that your next trip goes better for you guys.

As for me? I am counting down until I can bring my nephew and show him all of the things that I love about Disney. But until then, I'm still going to enjoy them.

There are no kiddie rides at Disney World. A kiddie ride has a maximum height requirement. The closest Disney comes are some maximum height restrictions at the water parks in the designated children's area.

That won't happen for at least a couple of years do yo think they'll still have paper fast passes by then? Do you think all the childless adults will take all the fast passes out of my precious snowflakes hands?

Why are you acting so spitefully and nasty? You really are the one who needs to grow up.

Negatives:
Adult Park Goers - I know this may go against many, but to me the parks are about the kids....always has been and should be IMO. My wife and I weren't shocked that people would be there without kids....just at the large number of people that were....and I'll just leave it at that.
This is OP's initial post and I can't help but wonder why someone going when most children are in school would be shocked to see so many adults particularly since Disney has been heavily marketing to adult visitors for the fall with the food and wine event. OP may be disappointed at the adult visitors but I bet Disney is thrilled that their target audience for that time of year is responding.

Just to further clarify for anyone not understanding what I was saying:

I don't care if you or anyone you know wants to go to DW without kids. My statement was about the large number that were there without kids. Not that there is anything wrong or weird about adults being there without kids.
I would go myself without kids if I didn't have any and might go again after they are out of the house. I would probably hang out more at EPCOT....like the food.....:thumbsup2
Just because Epcot appeals to your taste doesn't mean others feel the same and even those who enjoy Epcot most probably visit all the parks. Disney obviously caters to adults by serving alcohol at AK and DHS as well as Epcot.

This!!!!!!!!! They CAN be the rudest too. They look at you like...why are you here with so many kids?...strange. I asked some creepy adult only-ies at the MNSSHP to save my spot in a line while I went and grabbed my kids and they were like "no, we'll just go ahead, that's how you do it at disney."
I think you were wrong to ask a stranger to 'save' your place in line while you collected people to jump the line, I would have politely declined as well and I think it's a bit rude to expect someone you've never met to do you a personal favor. Plus other people in line can get ugly towards what they think are line cutters and you cutting through a line w/ kids in place to 'reclaim' your spot might cause those around me to be irritated @ me for 'saving' your place which is a risk I won't take for a stranger.

As a side note....I haven't apologized for what I said....I have tried to clarify that it was the LARGE NUMBER of people their without kids that surprised us. Not people being there without kids. ....and yes there is a big difference in those 2 things.

No....
To me it takes away when I see kids waiting in line to get pictures with their favorite characters and their are adults with no kids waiting in line in front of them. As an adult I can see spending a lot of time at EPCOT going "around the world" or at AK going on the Safari or different animal excursions....not waiting in line for Dumbo.

I guess it would have helped if it had not been so many......

Maybe I shouldn't have listed it as a negative, but maybe as an observation.
Now OP clarifies - it's ok if the adults are at Disney as long as they do what OP feels are appropriate activities for adults. Specifically, no adult should dare get in line for character meet and greets or Dumbo. I suppose the ban would include all of the rides in fantasy land - would it include IASW, after all it's bunch of dolls, maybe we should exclude little boys from Princess meet and greats and little girls from POTC? Should adults be allowed on TSM or buzz? They're based on animated figures. What about Nemo or little mermaid - clearly kids movies. Tastes vary.
I had to smile at this, my adult son is not big on character meet and greats (indeed we don't do them) but the characters (princesses especially) were very eager to chat with him @ meals a couple of trips ago - who knows why these young females were so eager to meet a like aged attractive young man traveling w/ his mom?:rotfl2:

Sorry to upset you. I was just joking.

People can have different opinions on different things. It's not a personal attack on you. You don't have to change who you are to please others. I don't expect the world to change because things annoy me. I really wish my husband would stop putting empty containers back in the fridge but that hasn't happened so I get annoyed yell at him and move on.

In the words of Elsa Let it go!

I read the OP's trip report and I got it. I can see why he's taking a break; the kids aren't interested and they have other places they'd rather go. I go sometimes with kids, grandkids and no kids. I've been going since 1972 and I'll probably continue going. I READ the part about the surprise at the adults with no kids, but it didn't ruin my day, destroy my life, and it's not some precursor to the end of the world.
That said, there is so much drama and negativity on this board I find it hard to believe this is a board that believes in the Disney magic. Some of you guys need to take a step back, breathe in and out SLOWLY 10 times, and chant some yoga mantra. 11 or 12 pages; must have been a slow day on the Maximize your fp and Throwaway room threads.

On one of our trips, we sat next to an older couple at Akershus (I'd guess they were 70 if they were a day). They got their pictures taken with every princess, and the princesses made quite a big deal out of them. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen at WDW. I've seen kids have magical moments with characters (including my own DDs) and I've seen adults have the same types of experiences. To me, the adult "magic" is just as sweet as watching the kids.

My own parents (who are in their late 60s) came with us on spring break in 2012 after 20+ years of not doing WDW. They had such a good time that they booked a trip in September of the same year for just the two of them and have started talking about DVC. One of the most amazing things about Disney is that it brings out the kid in so many adults.

I too am surprised by the animosity towards childless adults at WDW by multiple posters within this thread. There was even a poster calling us "creepy". Now honestly, in our years of being AP holders, I don't think my DH and I have ever ridden Dumbo, but I also can't imagine that we would ever Not Ride because it would cause a bigger wait for someone else (child or not).

I would love to take children to WDW. I have been dreaming about bringing my family since I was a little girl. However right now my DH and I have been struggling with fertility issues. We had been trying for a long time when I got a diagnosis that meant it will be a very difficult road for us. Visiting WDW during this time is a distraction for me from my depression over this. It is a place where "dreams come true" and it gives me hope and makes me happy.

Got my popcorn ready to enjoy this flop of a thread. Of course Disney is not just for kids. Bye, Felicia.

A curious thread.

Curious because I did go to Disney as a child way back when and guess what? I remember lots of lines. And long ones too!

Perhaps one might consider that Disney isn't providing a good enough experience for their children who may have less patience waiting in line rather than to blame others who also want to enjoy the same thing? Darn that Disney magic that draws so many people in.

OP, my oldest son likes to go to Busch Gardens or IOA when he's looking for thrill rides. But I think Disney calls their ride attractions, they are more like shows.

Disney is for all ages. My youngest was 6 weeks on his first visit. My dad was 80 on his last visit and hopes to get to wdw again this spring at 81 years old.

Just walking into the park brings out your inner kid. Remember that commercial years ago?

I too am surprised by the animosity towards childless adults at WDW by multiple posters within this thread. There was even a poster calling us "creepy". Now honestly, in our years of being AP holders, I don't think my DH and I have ever ridden Dumbo, but I also can't imagine that we would ever Not Ride because it would cause a bigger wait for someone else (child or not).

I would love to take children to WDW. I have been dreaming about bringing my family since I was a little girl. However right now my DH and I have been struggling with fertility issues. We had been trying for a long time when I got a diagnosis that meant it will be a very difficult road for us. Visiting WDW during this time is a distraction for me from my depression over this. It is a place where "dreams come true" and it gives me hope and makes me happy.

Don't lose hope. It took me 10 years. I understand your frustration.

First off, let me say we loved the trip and had a great time. This was our 4th trip since 2008 (6 years). So we have seen changes and learned some things in that time. Kids are now 13 and 11....the "magic" is pretty much gone for them. They are not into animated movies anymore and didn't care anything about going to a parade or a show. We still did a few, but they wanted to RIDE the RIDES. As most of you know....you can ride cheaper rides other places....

The nice part was when my oldest said he would definitely want to bring his kids....that made me feel like I did my part as a parent.... :)

Positives:
Magic Bands - Loved using them instead of tickets, keys, and fastpass tickets. Step in the right direction.

Memory Maker - got a lot of pics and getting the ride pictures and the two ride videos is great. Another move in the right direction.

Food - For the most part we ate whatever and whenever....and loved it. One of our favorite is the funnel cake at Sleepy Hollow in the MK. If you go, get one and send me one back....;)
If you don't go there...go to O'hana and send me back the desert from there. They don't deliver...we checked....

Magical Express - If you are flying down and staying at a resort....use it. Only negative was having to be up a little early the day we were leaving, but taking care of our bags coming and going made that worth it.

Nothing was broken down....all rides were good and we had a good experience.

Negatives:
Fast Pass - Could have put this in the positive some too... I liked being able to get the 3 ahead of time and knowing we could get on the rides pretty quick....BUT....I also felt like I HAD to follow the schedule as opposed to being in the moment and wanting to do something else. Sometimes it just happens... Also, if you don't have a fastpass....you were going to wait. October has picked up in numbers....but there were plenty of times that there was a 30 min or longer wait because MORE people now have fastpasses. Case in point....Extra Magic hours at DS....(so a lower crowd than normal hours right...).....there was a 60 min+ wait for RnR....same as it was during reg hours.

Adult Park Goers - I know this may go against many, but to me the parks are about the kids....always has been and should be IMO. My wife and I weren't shocked that people would be there without kids....just at the large number of people that were....and I'll just leave it at that.

7DMT - Hate to say this was a negative....but as both my kids said..."why would anyone wait over an hour to ride that?". They both said the ride was fun, but that was about it...and it was REALLY short. Don't blink twice....you will miss most of the ride. We rode it 2 times and enjoyed it....but it didn't make the must do list on the last day (and we went to 3 different parks and ended with the Halloween Party that night). IF it were as long at BTMRR, I think we would have done it more and they would have liked it more.

So as I said...it was a great trip....just probably our last....
For us it is about our kids and spending those "moments" that are special in their lives....so as far as Disney goes....next....the grand kids!! :thumbsup2

Next up....relaxing beaches..... :cool1:

I'll be glad to answer any questions that I didn't get into enough specifically.

map
Nice report but boo hoo to WDW being about just kids. What? Did you read the plaque upon entry? Um what about Walt himself? The biggest kid ever. Come on…WDW is a place for every body!!! Oh and by the way when the RESORT was first designed and open.. IT WAS FOR ADULTS…The Poly and Contemp were basically kidless. Look back at the old films. In fact WDW was an adult destination..It was only in the last few 30 years that they changed everything for the kiddies delectation. So got easy on us old timers who love WDW…
You don't have to have children to love 30,000 acres of recreation, theme parks and fun…Um what do you think Epcot was all about..and still is..How bout 3 golf courses…Spas? California grill?
Oh you got me (56 no kids) with that comment. But I forgive you.

Sometimes when people post things, they give no thought to how cold and callous it might come off as to someone else. I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself without realizing it.

As a grandma to a perfect little 2 yr old boy (and most likely the only grandchild I will ever have), I understand the pain you feel. My daughter went thru a very difficult time as well and on their last try with infertility treatments, a miracle came along. I hope the same results for you.

I myself thought it weird that adults were walking around with Happy Birthday buttons or Celebration buttons. I would rather ALL the focus be on the kids, but that's just me.

Sorry but on my best days at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland I was both times wearing a birthday badge, once for my 29th, once for my 31st. I had many nice wishes of Happy Birthday and Mickey even bought me a drink (only Sprite). I feel sorry for the people who feel that because they are an adult they can't wear the badge and can't get involved in the Magic.

These are some of the reasons Disney is better than Legoland, at Legoland I feel a bit odd as an adult as everything is made for Children. at Disney the majority of stuff is made for everyone to enjoy equally.

Sorry if others have raised similar points, I haven't read the whole thread!

As I stated....that is just my opinion...I also stated that we weren't shocked that people were there without kids....just the large number that were.

As far as it being for the kids....from the beginning Disney used (not the only purpose) the parks to promote their TV shows/movies. While we all know that everyone can watch the shows and enjoy them (as I do)....they were directed towards the kids. This is why I said that my kids had kind of lost interest. They aren't into the "kiddy" shows/movies anymore. If you are, then by all means do whatever you like. I could still go and have fun without them, but for us, it is about them. Nowhere in my statement did I say adults shouldn't go without kids.

Enjoy,

map
From the beginning WDW was a resort for EVERYBODY and the hotels had nearly a scant of kiddies. The old films show that clearly. And your comment did hint of a little slight to us big kids. Judging by the comment here Id say you touched a nerve and are back tracking.

I myself thought it weird that adults were walking around with Happy Birthday buttons or Celebration buttons. I would rather ALL the focus be on the kids, but that's just me.

Why??? In what way does an adult wearing a Happy Birthday button diminish your child's experience? Do you think there's a limited supply of cupcakes at dinner or that cm's are only allowed to wave and say happy birthday a certain number of times?

I don't get it- I really, really don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter