Updates for NYC cruises that dock at PC for WDW

I go in two weeks . I have so many questions? The letter states I have to take my passports and my licences and the tickets with me off the ship. Why do I need both a licence and passport would not either be good enough ID? Do you link the tickets onto to MDE on the bus ride over? And I can link it to an old magic band? (that would be great)
Any and all help would be appreciated. thank you in advance!!!!
I linked my tickets on the ship the night we received them. We had an aggressive plan for our day, so I wanted to secure the additional 3 FPs as soon as I could to get my desired times. Many people were linking their tix and booking FPs on the bus. We did use older Magic Bands and had no problems.

Also - when you plan to go to your bus in the morning - Disney is extremely organized. The lines snakes through the ship but it moves extremely quickly. You have to go through customs but they were quick.
If we have a 7:15AM bus scheduled, does that mean we'll have to get on the customs line much earlier and then carry our passports all day? Is the customs inspection on the ship or in the terminal?

If we have a 7:15AM bus scheduled, does that mean we'll have to get on the customs line much earlier and then carry our passports all day? Is the customs inspection on the ship or in the terminal?
It's one line through customs in the terminal and onto the buses. I don't know that you'd be able to board the ship to return your passports and then come back out again. You'd have to wait in a very long line and then you'd get to customs and wouldn't have a passport. I don't think there's a way to bypass customs to get to the bus.

It's one line through customs in the terminal and onto the buses. I don't know that you'd be able to board the ship to return your passports and then come back out again. You'd have to wait in a very long line and then you'd get to customs and wouldn't have a passport. I don't think there's a way to bypass customs to get to the bus.
Kind of figured that. Not sure why the mess of going through customs has to happen on such a busy day as going to WDW. Why couldn't the WDW and CC schedule be reversed?

Great post! Thanks, @Club Disney Chandler !

We used older magic bands and they worked very well.

We did use older Magic Bands and had no problems.

I had asked about this and was wondering.... how old were yours? We have two different sets of five; do we have to just pick specific ones to link to MDEx ahead of time? When did you do this, on the ship? I wonder if I can do it on the bus? Seems unnerving.

Anyone opt for the day photopass? Anyone know how that would work?

Can't wait til next year!!

Did anyone spend time in NYC pre or post cruise? I cant believe how expensive everything is. I was considering staying at the Sheraton in Lincoln Harbor, but the ferry ride would cost 72.00 a day for a family of four. I need a room with 2 beds and a sofa or I need to bring a blow up mattress. Kids won't sleep together. I can't blame them. Most hotels are double beds. My dh and I are thin people, but even then double beds are small for two people. I thought Europe was difficult for families, but at least in Europe you could book an apartment.

Great post! Thanks, @Club Disney Chandler !

I had asked about this and was wondering.... how old were yours? We have two different sets of five; do we have to just pick specific ones to link to MDEx ahead of time? When did you do this, on the ship? I wonder if I can do it on the bus? Seems unnerving.

Anyone opt for the day photopass? Anyone know how that would work?

Can't wait til next year!!
Our bands were from 2014. They're the only set we have, so I don't know for sure whether you pick specific bands, but I think if the bands are linked to your account, they'd all work. Again, I don't know for sure so maybe someone else can help you there.

I linked my tickets in MDE on the ship the same evening we received our hard tickets (Monday). Many others were doing in on the bus. Each linked ticket showed the 3 VIP FPs (except my son's, which was fixed at Guest Services in MK) and I was able to make three specific attraction FPs as well. The additional FPs didn't impact the VIP FPs. That being said, if you try to use an attraction FP during the before or after grace period, the system may pull a VIP FP from your account, so stick to the actual FP time window and you'll be fine. Have fun!

Did anyone spend time in NYC pre or post cruise? I cant believe how expensive everything is. I was considering staying at the Sheraton in Lincoln Harbor, but the ferry ride would cost 72.00 a day for a family of four. I need a room with 2 beds and a sofa or I need to bring a blow up mattress. Kids won't sleep together. I can't blame them. Most hotels are double beds. My dh and I are thin people, but even then double beds are small for two people. I thought Europe was difficult for families, but at least in Europe you could book an apartment.
We had to stay across the Hudson at a Homewood Suites in Edgewater. We have 2 teens, one boy and one girl so we need 3 beds too. The Homewood at Times Square was about $450/night, Jersey was $220.

We had to stay across the Hudson at a Homewood Suites in Edgewater. We have 2 teens, one boy and one girl so we need 3 beds too. The Homewood at Times Square was about $450/night, Jersey was $220.
I'll check that out. The Sheraton has 2 beds and a couch. I figure my oldest can sleep on the couch. He would sleep on the floor or outside before he would get into bed with his little brother. The killer is the ferry. We were planning on 3 nights 3 days that's 72.00 a day to take the ferry back and forth. Prices in NYC for everything are hair raising. It makes WDW look cheap.
I may have to book a hotel in manhatten with one bed, throw a couple of sleeping bags in the suitcase, and tell my boys their going camping.

I'll check that out. The Sheraton has 2 beds and a couch. I figure my oldest can sleep on the couch. He would sleep on the floor or outside before he would get into bed with his little brother. The killer is the ferry. We were planning on 3 nights 3 days that's 72.00 a day to take the ferry back and forth. Prices in NYC for everything are hair raising. It makes WDW look cheap.
I may have to book a hotel in manhatten with one bed, throw a couple of sleeping bags in the suitcase, and tell my boys their going camping.

Did you check NJ Transit (train or bus) prices? There are other ways to get into NYC besides a ferry.

Just back and the day at Disney was our least favorite. The crowds, the heat, the unfriendly people. So different from the cruise. Even experienced a rude CM which was a first for me.

I wasn’t on a nyc sailing, but was just reading this thread as we may do one in the future.
We just did a 7nt Carib sailing with wdw before and after. I noticed that wdw after was a total let down coming from the ship. We were in a deluxe resort that felt gross in comparison to the pristine ship. The service at wdw didn’t compare to the ship. The crowds were annoying and rude, etc. Going from ship to park is really a let down.

I wasn’t on a nyc sailing, but was just reading this thread as we may do one in the future.
We just did a 7nt Carib sailing with wdw before and after. I noticed that wdw after was a total let down coming from the ship. We were in a deluxe resort that felt gross in comparison to the pristine ship. The service at wdw didn’t compare to the ship. The crowds were annoying and rude, etc. Going from ship to park is really a let down.

Exactly! I'll never do this type of joint thing again unless Disney is first. At one point (about 25 minutes into a 50 minute wait) 6 adults cut in line a few families ahead of us in Pirates. No one said anything so I finally did and they just laughed at me. My daughter cried. Then I cried. It was miserable.

Thanks for the info on the bus and that is a much cheaper option. Hotels in New York seem to be cheaper on the weekends. I would assume traffic would be lighter on the weekends? The hotels I've found that offer two beds and sofa are the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, Homewood suites, Embassy suites in Secausus, Excelsior central Park area and the Marriot Marquis. Sorry to take the thread off topic, but hopefully the info is helpful to anyone cruising out of NYC next Fall.

In May I returned to WDW after a 4 year break. It felt different and not in a good way. My son and I have another trip booked next Spring. He loves the place. I figure as long as my dh and oldest son aren't interested in going I can keep the price reasonable and I'll keep going. If my youngest son ever decides he's done I probably won't spend the money to go back.

Did you check the Doubetree Suites in Times Square? They may have rooms with beds and a pull-out couch. We were just in NYC prior to the 10/14 sailing and stayed at InterContinental Times Square. I liked the location but did not like the two double beds. We stayed there for free using points so we put up with it, but our family does not fit well in doubles

Did you check the Doubetree Suites in Times Square? They may have rooms with beds and a pull-out couch. We were just in NYC prior to the 10/14 sailing and stayed at InterContinental Times Square. I liked the location but did not like the two double beds. We stayed there for free using points so we put up with it, but our family does not fit well in doubles
I'll check that out . I don't understand why so many hotels have double beds. I know WDW didn't get rid of them until a few years ago. The values may still have them. Americans for the most part are not small people...not just weight, but height also.
Can you even buy double beds anymore?

Last edited:
I'll check that out . I don't understand why so many hotels have double beds. I know WDW didn't get rid of them until a few years ago. The values may still have them. Americans for the most part are not small people...not just weight, but height also.
Can you even buy double beds anymore?

Yes, they are typically called FULL. Bedding comes in Twin, TwinXL, Full, Queen, King and California King. There may be others but those are the sizes I know of. I believe a Double is the same as a Full, but hotels call them Double. Whatever they are called, they are not wide enough for our family, eapecially this chubby Mom and Dad! I was sooo happy to sleep in our King once we arrived home!

Regarding NYC traffic on the weekends, yes, it’ll be a little lighter than the weekdays, but there is always theater traffic coming into mid-town (via the Lincoln Tunnel), which is where the cruise terminal is. So from NJ you would want to give yourself an hour just for traffic. Even though it might only be about 10 miles! The earlier you go (like before noon) the quicker it would be. Matinee shows start at 2, so around 1 the streets start getting all jammed up.

Yep, you are correct. They would not be able to return to the ship right away and put the passports away. Our letter stated that those who wanted to reboard the ship (not go to WDW) would have to wait until the ship was cleared for boarding (apparently different than being cleared for debarkation). Honestly, the immigration was no big deal at all. It took all of about 5 minutes and then headed out to the bus.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter