What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

Making this for dinner, (substituting ginger for the saffron and adding mushrooms instead of the peas though) yummy:

😋🥘
This looks great! I make paella about once a year and we love it, but it's a lot of work. I'm excited to try this tonight with ingredients I have in the house. Easy Paella-light. Thanks!!

I had 3 over-ripe bananas this weekend and decided to make banana bread. I used the Cooks Illustrated recipe - the variation which called for toasted coconut and nuts. (I used the pecans and almonds I had rather than the macadamias I didn't.) Much better banana bread than I've made with other recipes.

My daughter gave me the Cooks Illustrated cookbook and I reach for it all the time now. They test everything over and over to find the best version of common dishes and I love their recipes for scones and cinnamon rolls.

I was craving a Bob’s Big Boys Hot Fudge Cake, but didn’t have time to make my go-to scratch Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate chocolate cake. So instead made boxed Betty Crocker’s Super Moist Chocolate Fudge cake. Really surprised at how delicious it turned out. Added Tillamook vanilla ice cream and Mrs. Richardson’s hot fudge... 😚👌

This looks great! I make paella about once a year and we love it, but it's a lot of work. I'm excited to try this tonight with ingredients I have in the house. Easy Paella-light. Thanks!!
How did it taste? 🥘

Great recipe - Thanks for finding it, Buzz Rules! It's definitely going to be one of my favorites. I've already started to pass it on to relatives and friends who I know love paella.

I think I got a little carried away with the garlic, so I'm going to cut back just a bit the next time, but I was happily surprised to find that the basic taste was almost exactly like the real paella that I usually make. I think the next time I might plan a week's meals so I could add in a little left over pork chop and/or chicken, maybe chop in a bit of fresh tomato. I don't care that much one way or the other about chorizo, but I can see it might be worth adding too for people who want it.

Even with a few additions, this is a super-simple dinner. Very fast and easy for a weeknight meal, but good enough for company.

Just FYI - After making it, I got on Costco's website to see about ordering more saffron. Saffron just is expensive. I found a small jar at Costco, the last time I bought it, that was both high quality and as inexpensive as I could find then. This time the website had a sale on it, but it only came in a large quantity (14 grams). $64 (gulp). I went ahead and bought some figuring I could share it and still have plenty left for me. But it definitely is a luxury item. Maybe in the stores they are still selling it in smaller quantities at a more reasonable price??

Last edited:
Great recipe - Thanks for finding it, Buzz Rules! It's definitely going to be one of my favorites. I've already started to pass it on to relatives and friends who I know love paella.

I think I got a little carried away with the garlic, so I'm going to cut back just a bit the next time, but I was happily surprised to find that the basic taste was almost exactly like the real paella that I usually make. I think the next time I might plan a week's meals so I could add in a little left over pork chop and/or chicken, maybe chop in a bit of fresh tomato. I don't care that much one way or the other about chorizo, but I can see it might be worth adding too for people who want it.

Even with a few additions, this is a super-simple dinner. Very fast and easy for a weeknight meal, but good enough for company.

Just FYI - After making it, I got on Costco's website to see about ordering more saffron. Saffron just is expensive. I found a small jar at Costco, the last time I bought it, that was both high quality and as inexpensive as I could find then. This time the website had a sale on it, but it only came in a large quantity (14 grams). $64 (gulp). I went ahead and bought some figuring I could share it and still have plenty left for me. But it definitely is a luxury item. Maybe in the stores they are still selling it in smaller quantities at a more reasonable price??

I'm glad you enjoyed it. The Spain on a Fork vlogger is one of my favorites to watch. You can find many different paella recipes and more on his YouTube channel. Also his website is cool too.

https://www.spainonafork.com/
He may have some tips on the website for the saffron. He does have a contact section on his website, that may help. My family uses ginger instead of saffron due to its price and because it's hard to find where I live. My family likes this recipe because it's great for leftover chicken or fish. In fact, we just did that tonight for dinner. 😋 🥘

I made no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars to take to the beach this weekend.
Looking for few more things to make for the cooler in the heat wave!

Smaller amt, smaller price,superior quality :

https://www.thespicehouse.com/products/superior-grade-spanish-saffron

Made a double portion of pate brisee AKA French pie crust today and stuck them in the freezer. Might make one batch into toaster tarts for camping breakfasts and desserts. The other will be used for pies or open faced tarts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter