What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the vast majority of Disney guests are NOT these board members. The people on this board make up a miniscule percentage of guests. For everyone here who complains prices are too high and they're done, there's 10 (I'm sure many more) other people going for the first time, or for a repeat trip.

But even on this board, how many people complain about the price, and then turn around and book their next trip? 🤷 As others have said, talk is cheap. If you're really fed up - stop going. Don't drop from a deluxe to a moderate, that does nothing. Just don't go, period. Otherwise you just continue being part of the problem.

So ridiculous.

I realize not being happy that the prices are going up doesn't matter if people are still going.
So I adjust how I go to Disney. Why on earth should I stop going somewhere that I enjoy? I just adjust and go less. :)

When I no longer enjoy it, I stop. And that would include posting on a Disney Message boad.

So ridiculous.

I realize not being happy that the prices are going up doesn't matter if people are still going.
So I adjust how I go to Disney. Why on earth should I stop going somewhere that I enjoy? I just adjust and go less. :)

When I no longer enjoy it, I stop. And that would include posting on a Disney Message boad.
I don't think you're at the point though the other poster is talking about at least IMO.

The ones who say "I'm totally done going" but then they go anyways. It's hard to break the cycle (and for some it borders on obsession really and no offense meant to those) but you do become the problem when you continue to fork over the money to Disney. I complained about MP at DLR but I bought it when we got frustrated with how Disney operated the SB line. BUT I readily admit I'm part of the issue. Complain that there's a paid FP and I still buy into it..and the truth is I really disliked that I was part of the problem.

That said if you're disappointed that you feel the need to adjust where you're staying at to stay in line with a particular budget that's still fair in my mind to complain about.

FWIW, the growth of the DIS profits have led to the largest parks capital expenditure budget ever over the last few years. The spending on park updates/refurbs/new lands, transportation etc has me very excited for the future of theme parks.

It also helps that Universal is readying their 3rd park with Nintendo and more Potter helping push things further.

Personally, my nostalgia is dissipating and my excitement for the plethora of new things coming is taking over.

I guess I’ll chime in. I’ve never been what you might call a regular but been to WDW 5 times and DL once. I love Disney and all the memories we have made there. My son and I went for one day last October and still enjoyed ourselves immensely. However, it was crowded, we were turned off by the long lines just to buy a snack or drink, and it was expensive. I’d love to take my grandson but I just can’t make myself spend the money right now for a similar trip to what we have always done. We have been on many other vacations and all have been enjoyable. We went to Grand Canyon, etc. and I had 2 free flights for the 3 of us. The annual pass was $80 for unlimited visits. I felt like we did so much for such a great price. That’s just one example. Not that I’ll never go back but between cost, crowds, and all the planning, I don’t know when we will ever get back.

Hearing people who are willing to spend $400 or $500/night or more for a hotel complain about price is something. Then also, hearing people say there is no availability at said expensive resort means Disney still has room to charge more.

This is like the parks being packed and then people saying it is to expensive. Demand is clearly there and unless people legit stop going to WDW things will continue to increase.

This isnt brain surgery people. It is simple economics.

Side Note: If you are going to WDW on some sort of regular basis and spending $400-$500/night you prob shd be looking into DVC.

Disney doesn’t owe me anything. I’m just relaying my personal feelings - not critiquing Disney’s business strategy. But don’t see how any long time Disney goer can look and increasing rates and say “this is fine”.

The increases are shockingly steep so it makes me, a lifelong customer, stop and reconsider whether or not it’s a place for me anymore. But yes, plenty of others are filling those rooms and parks who don’t have the same hang ups that I do.

Disney doesn’t owe me anything. I’m just relaying my personal feelings - not critiquing Disney’s business strategy. But don’t see how any long time Disney goer can look and increasing rates and say “this is fine”.

The increases are shockingly steep so it makes me, a lifelong customer, stop and reconsider whether or not it’s a place for me anymore. But yes, plenty of others are filling those rooms and parks who don’t have the same hang ups that I do.
Honestly, (if you havent already) look into DVC. Go every 1, 2 or 3 years and enjoy the savings over the long haul.
Life changes? Sell it back into the best timeshare resale market on earth.

Cool...i love it when im told im wrong.

by the way, there are over 60 pages in this thread, there's another forum out there that had a thread very similar to this one that was just as long.

my point is, there is a disconnect somewhere between disney, and a lot of long term park-goes.

you can go ahead and toss attendance numbers and pricing out at me all you want to, that doesn't mean there isnt a disconnect.

Disney relied on the faithful to fill the parks in lean times and to buy DVCs that they are now locked into for decades to a stripped down experience from what it was when those DVCs were purchased. It is natural to be upset with Disney over those things.

With my hospitality management background I used to try to discuss with LockedOutLogic what happens in the long term when Disney puts that much of the on property inventory to DVC and has that many guests locked in to attending at least every other year. Well, we are now seeing it.

Last edited:

DVCs that they are now locked into for decades for a very stripped down experience from what it was when those DVCs were purchased. It is natural to be upset with Disney over those things.

If I can add, not all are "now locked in for decades" IMO (except a lot of us choose to be). A lot of us can sell for double if not triple of what we paid, today if we want.

The question is simply why don't we then? Esp if it's a "very stripped down version" from what we purchased?

Answer for me is since it was long paid off-we visit on dues which is insanely cheap.

Also the asset keeps going up.

WDW rooms rates are going up insanely as well. If were going to go anyway, why start paying $400 plus a night-when that gets us a week on dues.

The experience we bought was for room accommodations. That is still what we get and want.

AP renewal was under $600 per for the year-instead of about $1,000 being out of state.

Not sure what is stripped down, but its not anything on our radar.

If I can add, not all are "now locked in for decades" IMO (except a lot of us choose to be). A lot of us can sell for double if not triple of what we paid, today if we want.

The question is simply why don't we then? Esp if it's a "very stripped down version" from what we purchased?

Answer for me is since it was long paid off-we visit on dues which is insanely cheap.

Also the asset keeps going up.

WDW rooms rates are going up insanely as well. If were going to go anyway, why start paying $400 plus a night-when that gets us a week on dues.

The experience we bought was for room accommodations. That is still what we get and want.

AP renewal was under $600 per for the year-instead of about $1,000 being out of state.

Not sure what is stripped down, but its not anything on our radar.

Early buyers definitely made out on the deal. The in the park experience is what I consider stripped down.

Last edited:
Early buyers differently made out on the deal. The in the park experience is what I consider stripped down.

And that is exactly why we're not renewing our FL AP. The walls of people and diminished experience is more than tiring. The newest ride and the logistics to try and ride the Rise of the Resistance has soured our feelings towards WDW.

Friends tell me there's 10 others to replace you to which I say....enjoy the mayhem. We'll still go, but there is no desire any longer. But, we are within commuting distance of WDW so there's zero pressure to go anytime soon. Disney built this scenario and are getting what they deserve.

Last edited:
But even on this board, how many people complain about the price, and then turn around and book their next trip? 🤷 As others have said, talk is cheap. If you're really fed up - stop going. Don't drop from a deluxe to a moderate, that does nothing. Just don't go, period. Otherwise you just continue being part of the problem.
PREACH.

I was thinking if I need to cancel my TDR trip because of Coronavirus getting worse in Japan, I might go to WDW instead. But after hearing of all the new price increases and cuts to entertainment, staffing, maintenance....... NOPE. Disney does not deserve my money for such a poor value. I'll figure something else out.

Disagree. I complained about the last 2 price hikes on APs, so I didn’t buy anymore. I have never paid rack rate on a deluxe and never intend to, so nothing different there.

Everyone is allowed to complain about whatever they want here. It’s really easy to scroll past a thread if you know the contents will frustrate you. And I mean “you” in the general sense. The DIS should be a safe space for Disney fans to share their thoughts, whether they are positive or negative. You think I don’t get tired of the constant crowd level posts? I just keep scrolling 90% of the time.

I love WDW more than any other place, so I will work with my numbers to still be able to go. I don’t think anyone needs to stop going because they are upset about price increases. You just modify your planning to make the numbers work. I have a Disney vacation fund. I have to make what’s in there work.

And those who are truly fed up can discontinue their trips. To each their own.

Agree. I can take everything but the hotel prices.

Next year we are staying at Gran Destino, our first time at a moderate. Booked early because I'm afraid as time goes on, those reasonable prices for such a nice hotel will sky-rocket. And since it's for next year, I can't make any changes to the reservation (no changing dates or making a package) or I will have to pay the 2021 rate which is what I'm trying to avoid!)

We will stay at Yacht Club again in future, but that means we won't be back for probably 3 yrs at least after next trip due to the prices.
The hotel alone now can cost more than our other vacations around the world.
And more & more I’m seeing posters who used to say it was tolerable say it’s no longer tolerable. We are definitely one of those ppl. We are now staying at Pop. We used to be Poly ppl. Stayed poly last 4 trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter