What's your #1 tip that you learned here on the DIS?

Mousemom said:
I always pack an extra suitcase with food so that we have an empty suitcase to bring souvineers home in. Even though we never plan to buy much we end up with so much to pack and bring home. I also pack a small tin with small packets of laundry soap. The soap won't break open during our flight and I have a container to put small breakables in to bring home. Our last trip we even packed some bottled water and propel. It was great.

We do this too. Its GREAT because, you don't need to stop for breakfast. Just have a nibble in the room and grab a water bottle. On really hot trips we might bring more than one each. The extra room in the bags on the way home is ALWAYS nice.

subscribing this is a great thread!!!! Next trip is nov 30th to dec 6th at WL!

Cant wait!

Strollers, Strollers, Strollers!

The first time you go through a stroller line try and figure out how many days during your trip you will require a stroller rental. Let the Cast Member know how many rentals you will be requiring during your trip. They will give you a card with the number of days you requested. Each time there after you need a stroller you will no longer need to wait in line. Just go to the stoller pick-up and get your stroller. The Cast Member will stamp your card and that will be one day used. If you get another stroller at another park the same day then you just need to show the card with the stamp on it.

Not only does this same tons of time, you will walk right past other waiting in that long line to pay for their stroller.

Secondly, you get a 10% discount on your stroller total.

Lastly, You can get your disney dollar refunds when you drop off your stroller the last day. Just let the Cast Member know you would like your refunds for all your days and they will give you the entire amound. Another time saver!

Hope this helps someone, it really helped us during our last vacation as the lines to pay for strollers were extremely long. Maybe 20 to 25 minute waits.

is to send a care package of non-perishable food ahead to the resort with your name, and check-in date. I filled it with small cereal boxes, pop-tarts, cereal/granola bars, fruit snacks, and individual packages of peanut butter crackers and pretzels. This saved us at least $25 / a day for not having to buy breakfast and a mid-morning snack.

A mini first aid kit. J & J makes one that is perfect in size...I found mine at Target's travel size section. I just keep restocking it after every trip...Saves a bundle of time at the parks...

Purell: Target sells a round one that fits into one of the drink holders on our stroller. We also keep it in the car. An absolute must imo.

Just got back after a week in WDW at the WL (two families, two babysitters and four kids under 5). The best tips for us are listed right here in this thread. Go early, pool in the afternoon or naps, go back in the evening. Wear comfy shoes. Plan, plan and plan and everyone will enjoy soooo much more!!!

I think the care package idea is great. How far in advance should I send the package. We leave in 3 weeks. And how should I address the label. Thanks for all the wonderful tips on this site. Can't wait to put them to use.

Address it :
Hold for Guest "Full name of reservation name"
Check -in Date
Hotel/Resort Name and complete address (from confirmation form)
I have normally sent it 5-7 days prior with a shipping time of 2-3 days USPS
When I call 1-2 days prior to arriving I asked if they have received my package yet. This is also the time I asked if my room number has been assigned, and what is it and to add that to the care package. When I make the reservation I always ask for a certain building, floor, view, etc. (no guarantees, but from what I have learned from fellow DIS-ers, it is noted in your reservation comments but room assignments happen 1-2 days before check-in.) I have done this 2X with WDW resorts and 1X off-site. (and numerous other vacations...) No problems ever. . .

2 suggestions to recommend:

First: My youngest was 2 and a half when we first visited, he is 11 now. In one of the books I first looked at when planning a trip, a wise person offered the reminder that young children can go into sensory overload -- sometimes they need to take time out to play and they use play to process all of the experiences they have had -- the colours, the characters and the excitement.

I have found that giving the kids an hour or so in the room, playing with lego, or cars, or soldiers, or anything they wanted, has been great. It refreshes them. So, sometimes, when the grown-ups really want to head out to a stimulating restaurant or can't understand why the kids don't want to dive into a noisy pool, remember that they need some processing time..and they might actually be happier on the balcony building a toy fort.

Second: On the boards we are all trying to make best use of the time we have, but sometimes you have to rip up the grown-up plans because the kids know best. We had one holiday in May/June where it was just too hot for us Europeans and the kids basically decided that they weren't park hopping until after 5pm when the sun was bearable. We didn't miss anything and we met a whole host of really nice people in the quiet pool at 1am who had also decided that sleeping in during the day and exploring Disney at night-time was the way to go.

I was surprised to find out how many people said they mail "care" packages of food ahead of time. We had planned to make a quick grocery store stop on the way to the hotel (our car service will make a quick stop for us, which is included in the price of the service). I had thought about mailing bulky but fairly light things like a beach towel, etc. -- things where it wouldn't be the end of the world if they didn't arrive!!!

My husband and I were in Disney for our honeymoon in May (I'll be back in 3 weeks with my twin sister!!!) and 1 of our favorite things that we did we called "Bar-hopping around the World". We went to Epcot and did what we wanted in Future World and then spent the rest of the night relaxing in the World Showcase. So, we stopped in every country got a drink and explored each one. We started in Mexico with our Margarhitas and made our way around. Highly recommend the Kier Royale (spelling?) at the France kiosk. It was really fun and romantic. We ended up in England drinking a Yard glass of beer watching Illuminations-it was perfect.

And a good tip for other honeymooners:Tell everyone you're honeymooning! Or wear those Mickey/Minnie Bride/Groom hats. Sometimes, cast members bring you to the front of the line!

Also, for camcorder people: Bring a backup battery! I made that mistake once waiting all night for Spectro Magic and as soon as it started my battery died! :love:

Ran into this in 2002 when at Port Orleans Resort. Many places in Florida have a problem with "sugar ants." (I lived in West Palm Beach for about a year, and had to be very careful with my food. Those little buggers are determined when they're trying to find food!) My tip is to put all open food in either ziploc bags or sealed Tupperware-type containers if you don't want ants.

If you are flying into MCO, call Disney a couple months before your trip and take advantage of the new Magical Express service. I'll be using it in 12days! I was first able to use it on my Honeymoon back in May and it was great. Not only was it soooo much more convenient to just get off the plane,get my bags, and get on a bus, but it's also free (if you're a WDW resort guest)and it also got my DH and I pumped up for the magical vacation we were embarking on by showing a cute WDW welcome video on the way to the hotel. Just makes things easier-and cheaper!

...Oh yeah, also: If you have a AAA card, remember to use it! When I made my reservations for my trip in 12days,I initially forgot to tell them I had AAA and since they didn't ask, I got a the regular rate for the season. But I remembered about it, called back and let them know that I was a AAA cardmemeber. They gave me a new rate and I got our room at at Pop Century for $61/nt with the discount! Doesn't get better than that! But I believe you can use it at selected locations thruout the resort as well, if I'm not mistaken. And if you're not sure, just ask! :wizard:

I have to agree with all the posts regarding letting the kids have thier time too!!! Let them swim, let them have arcade time, etc..... I earned a bad reputation with my family the first few trips with my young children and I have some regrets. Luckily I woke up and learned how to relax or I fear my kids would have been turned off to going on vacation with me.

So - RELAX. Let your kids be kids. It's not a death march, it's vacation. You will have many happy years together if you do.

My biggest tip would be to get the guide book "Passporter". THey have the best tips and tricks of any guide book out there. I am using their passporter and passporter cruise guide for my upcoming trip and feel totally prepared, like I have the "insider" secrets that others do not have

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter