When will your Christmas tree go up?

No, ma’am! I’ve been on these boards with my Canadian friends long enough to know it off the top of my head. But now we’re on to Christmas — show us your decorations!
OK, OK, it's a stock photo I googled. :p We live in a condo and the way our (tiny) back yard is configured I couldn't get far enough back or find a decent angle to take an actual picture. Close your eyes and imagine our fence topped with a pine garland wrapped with multi-coloured lights, an inflatable illuminated snowman and a wreath on our gate (on the street side).

View attachment 540898
OK, OK, it's a stock photo I googled. :p We live in a condo and the way our (tiny) back yard is configured I couldn't get far enough back or find a decent angle to take an actual picture. Close your eyes and imagine our fence topped with a pine garland wrapped with multi-coloured lights, an inflatable illuminated snowman and a wreath on our gate (on the street side).
I do appreciate you going out at 11pm Calgary time to try to get that picture for me. It sounds beautiful. :goodvibes

Probably a few days before Christmas, if we manage to get one at all. I'm from a family of procrastinators.

We actually bought and decorated our tree yesterday! Because I had to travel for work this week and will be quarantining at least through this coming weekend (my sister is going to stay with our parents for a while when I get home), if not longer. 😕

Our trees went up Saturday, one traditional, one white and a Disney tree. Lights also went on the house. Sunday I put out the sleigh, reindeer and hung wreaths on the windows. Also put out the stupid elf lol.

Ok, I've said that I don't do a tree, and if I did , it would not before the 5th of December due to a national holiday in NL on the 5th.
But then when does Christmas start And I have found when. In the late 70s a Dutch comedian wrote a Christmas song (stand up comedy in NL usually has songs in it), which became a classic in NL ever since. Christmas to me starts with this song. :)

Now, there is an American singer/songwriter/producer, who did a rendition of this song into English. It's currently trending #1 on Youtube in the Netherlands. The comment section is filled with Dutch people who finally can let their non-Dutch speaking friends and family hear this classic song. It's by Todd Rundgren, and I must say, the translation, the mood and the music, it's perfectly done. It's called 'Flappie' and it's about a boy and his pet rabbit.

Enjoy :) (Yes, I looked for a thread where I could plug this song shamelessly :P )

So my tree got destroyed by our lovely fur babies!! We took it down last night bc it was a shambles. I went and got a 4 foot prelit tree instead and put it up on a table that I hope is of less interest to them. I love them, but they are little devils when it comes to chewing wires and ripping down garland. I have 5 cats, but 4 of them are under age 2 and they are like a gang of Christmas decoration destroyers.

OP here so reviving my two year old thread....has your date changed now that we are post pandemic?

We literally had ours up by Nov 1 the last couple of years. This year I've been too lazy to even consider getting it out of the attic yet (well, having DH do it). It may be Dec before we get it this year. Feeling a bit like a scrooge!

Reactions: slo
The boxes (2 large trees) are coming out of the attic this Sunday (11/13)
Trees go up during the course of next week.
Boxes go back up in the attic next weekend.

The trees are the only Christmas decorations to go up before Thanksgiving.
The weekend after Thanksgiving is when all the other Christmas decorations are put up around the house.

I decorate a lot and it was to much work to do all of it the weekend after Thanksgiving. So about 5 years ago I made an executive decision to do what’s best for me and that’s when the trees started getting put up before Thanksgiving. This takes a huge chunk out of my holiday decorating frenzy and it’s so much better for me 🙂👍🏻

I decorate a lot and it was to much work to do all of it the weekend after Thanksgiving. So about 5 years ago I made an executive decision to do what’s best for me and that’s when the trees started getting put up before Thanksgiving. This takes a huge chunk out of my holiday decorating frenzy and it’s so much better for me 🙂👍🏻
I did this too, Slo. I have a lot of Christmas including a large Department 56 village. Years ago I refused to do anything before Thanksgiving, but that really made for a stressful time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I now do the village between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It displaces some of my fall decorations, but it really helps. I also have Christmas dishes. Early on I used them for just the holiday meal, but they’re beautiful, not any more fragile than my everyday dishes so now I get those out Thanksgiving week and use them all season. Middle DD is 19 and still tells me she loves seeing the dishes come out—it means Christmas is coming.

I do most of the inside decorating on my own. The trees are the one thing that I like to do as a family. If we can get them done Thanksgiving weekend we will, but if not we’ll do them when the college DD’s get home after finals—could be mid December. Depends on their plans that weekend. Oldest DD may go back to school earlier that weekend after Thanksgiving to work. Even if the trees go up late the house will be plenty festive—we have a lot of Christmas decor!

We won't be putting up a tree this year at all... at least at home. We'll be putting up a small tree on the 22 of Dec when we go on our cruise.

OP here so reviving my two year old thread....has your date changed now that we are post pandemic?
We literally had ours up by Nov 1 the last couple of years. This year I've been too lazy to even consider getting it out of the attic yet (well, having DH do it). It may be Dec before we get it this year. Feeling a bit like a scrooge!

We may put ours up as soon as next weekend because we will be celebrating with my sister in law and her family when they come up to WI. If it doesn't happen that weekend it will more than likely be the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I've given my wife a large budget for Christmas decorations for our new house, with the caveat I'm not helping put anything up now that it has snowed.

That's when you use that large budget to hire someone else to hang the lights outside.
We may put ours up as soon as next weekend because we will be celebrating with my sister in law and her family when they come up to WI. If it doesn't happen that weekend it will more than likely be the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I've given my wife a large budget for Christmas decorations for our new house, with the caveat I'm not helping put anything up now that it has snowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter