Will Fantasy Dry Dock Fix Aft Vibration Issues?

Haven't you learned?

Nothing "is unfixable" with a Disney budget. lol.

And everything is addressed, especially a vibrating $1.4 billion ship, that generates $3-5 million a week.

Give it time. Be patient. Wait for drydock in spring 2017.

I think one blade (propeller) is out of balance. It could be one blade on the propeller.
Or more blades on the propeller.
That would be the good news.

It is repairable in drydock, with time.

Unless it's a bent shaft of course. .... eek.
From Sandy. :duck:

I don't think its from Sandy, though it may have been exacerbated by Sandy. We were on the Fantasys maiden and she had a very slight vibration first night out of Port Canaveral heading out to the Caymans. I never really felt it, only noticed it in my water glass. Since then the issue seems to be getting progressively worse. Also, the Dream class props, the blades are bolted on, unlike the Magic class original props which were cast in 1 piece. On the assumption that there is/was a bad blade on the prop, they can be changed out in water. I think that either she has a bad bearing, which are probably due for replacement any way, or a shaft is out of tolerance.

I don't think its from Sandy, though it may have been exacerbated by Sandy. We were on the Fantasys maiden and she had a very slight vibration first night out of Port Canaveral heading out to the Caymans. I never really felt it, only noticed it in my water glass. Since then the issue seems to be getting progressively worse. Also, the Dream class props, the blades are bolted on, unlike the Magic class original props which were cast in 1 piece. On the assumption that there is/was a bad blade on the prop, they can be changed out in water. I think that either she has a bad bearing, which are probably due for replacement any way, or a shaft is out of tolerance.

Agree, Sandy may have exacerbated, but did not cause. I was on the Sandy cruise, and the vibration was there from the get-go. Supposedly it's gotten worse over time. I assume they can replace a shaft during drydock if needed, yes? I would imagine they've planned to fix this.

Agree, Sandy may have exacerbated, but did not cause. I was on the Sandy cruise, and the vibration was there from the get-go. Supposedly it's gotten worse over time. I assume they can replace a shaft during drydock if needed, yes? I would imagine they've planned to fix this.

I think the issue did get worse over time, but I also think there are 2 issues from reading reports here on the board. 1 is definitely running gear related as it only seems to manifest while the ship is moving at or near its max speed. The other, is more local and I'm thinking that it has something to do with the public laundries near the aft end of the ship. If not there is a mechanical room that only runs at night that's affecting certain cabins near the public laundries.

As far as shaft replacement, yes they can do it, but the catch is, only if DCL knows in advance that it is the problem, and already ordered one. Its not exactly like a drive shaft on a car where you can go to your dealer and 3 days later, they call you and say come get it. Typically shafts are custom made and its one of the few things that they dont carry spares for. It usually takes a few weeks to make one from scratch. Then once who ever makes it, they now have to get it to the drydock where the ship is and that can take up to a month by the time they find a freighter with room going to that destination or combination of freighters. (DCL has a large warehouse about 1/2 way between OIA and the port that stocks everything from lifeboats to paint, lubes, to main engine parts tile, you name it-its there but things like shafts or bearings for them, things that only can be changed in a dry dock, they usually don't have laying around) Under most normal conditions, assuming that a spare shaft is waiting, it would probably take maybe 2 weeks to pull the rudder, pull the old one, replace all the bearings, re install it, the prop, rudder then balance and adjust it and inspect it.

Last edited:
To echo the Sandy tie in. I cruised with my Mom after Sandy, in 12/2012 and didn't notice anything different than normal ship vibrations. Fast forward to 4/2014 and that's the cruise we REALLY felt it - huge difference. I tend to feel it did get worse or built up over time, as others have mentioned.

Heather

Ps. My disclaimer as always - I'd still sail her tomorrow, in an aft cabin (or any cabin!) if I could :)

The Dream reportedly does not share the vibration issue. Stateroom reviews (see my post listing examples above) describe severe vibrations in certain rooms on the Fantasy, but reviews of those same staterooms on the Dream do not complain of extreme vibration.

We were on Deck 6 aft on the Dream this past October, and some days/nights, there was significant vibration. This was the Dream's first and only Western Caribbean itinerary, so it was running I assume at full speed.

So, after this discussion....do we have any idea if this will be addressed, or if it is unfixable?

I am going to guess it might be unfixable, so if vibration is an issue, never book an aft stateroom, particularly on a lower deck.

We were on Deck 6 aft on the Dream this past October, and some days/nights, there was significant vibration. This was the Dream's first and only Western Caribbean itinerary, so it was running I assume at full speed.

I am going to guess it might be unfixable, so if vibration is an issue, never book an aft stateroom, particularly on a lower deck.
Lower deck - higher deck - doesn't matter. We had the worst vibration on Deck 10 (comparable to what we had in Animator's Palate), a little less vibration on deck 9 (more midship room).

When is the Fantasy dry dock?

We have experienced this vibration and never again for us. It is not just a noise thing but the motion is so unnatural it is very hard to sleep.

We are waiting to see if the Southern Caribbean cruises go to *GT status but this issue makes me reconsider. I really wouldn't want to be assigned an aft cabin. We have sailed in a forward cabin with no issues.

When is the Fantasy dry dock?

We have experienced this vibration and never again for us. It is not just a noise thing but the motion is so unnatural it is very hard to sleep.

We are waiting to see if the Southern Caribbean cruises go to *GT status but this issue makes me reconsider. I really wouldn't want to be assigned an aft cabin. We have sailed in a forward cabin with no issues.
Dry dock in mid/late May.

Usually an ongoing vibration in a large ship is caused by a flaw in the prop(s). A dry dock is the only time props can be repaired or replaced. Time will tell.

Ugh, I'm in 6188 this Saturday. I wonder if I should try and change my cabin at the port. How aggravating.

We have been in 8656 on the Fantasy December sailing and never had an issue. So much so we rebooked for this Dec and its will be our 3rd time in the cabin.

Joe

i didn't know this was an "issue" but we got off the 1/28 Fantasy sailing (rm 8104) and we had NO vibrations for the first 3-4 nights, and then significant vibrations from then on. In fact, at our Mixology session, the ceiling tiles were vibrating/rattling SO badly I was afraid one would fall!

How are the vibrations on Deck 2? We will be on the Fantasy after the dry dock, so hopefully it wont be a problem.
I can only report that, unlike the classic ships, deck 2 doesn't have staterooms in the aft. The vibration was very noticeable in Enchanted Garden, however. More forward didn't feel the vibration as much, but it was still there.

Ugh, I'm in 6188 this Saturday. I wonder if I should try and change my cabin at the port. How aggravating.
So what did you think? We just came off 6188 today (Dream) and the vibrations were pretty bad in the mornings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter