Women lost at sea for months. What do you think?

Disney Ella

DIS Veteran
It now sounds like things may not have been quite as they seemed with this story. Do you think the women were really at sea for close to five months and were really in trouble, or were they trying to score a book or movie deal out of their ordeal?

In the comment sections, boaters mentioned that a boat at sea for months wouldn't have so much algae on the hull and other things I wouldn't have thought about. It does seem suspicious to me.

I saw something on the news this morning about this and made me start to wonder about how it all happened.
I'm curios now to see what "they" find out.

It is suspicious, especially after hearing what the news reported this morning. They also seemed very eager to be in the spotlight with their interviews and press conferences immediately after being rescued. They hadn't even made it home yet. If I was stranded for 5 months not sure if I'd live or die, I'd want some privacy and time to re-group before possibly talking to the media.

The one woman also said if they hadn't been rescued at that moment, they would likely die within 24 hours. I don't get that. They had a year's worth of food and supplies and they seemed to be in good health when they were rescued.

When this story first broke I saw it on the Today show and I immediately turned to my SO and said "something doesn't seem right."

They say they would've died within 24 hours but they both looked healthy to me. Smiling and waving and climbing ladders. Near death to me means can barely, walk, talk, skin and bones, etc.

I questioned the authenticity when I first saw this story on the news, too. I don't know blip about boating, but they looked too healthy to me to have survived a 5-month at sea ordeal. The dogs looked fantastic as well. And, just recently, I believe I read that they had a functioning emergency beacon but did not use it. Why? They said their radios weren't working, their telephone wasn't working. Why the heck wouldn't you use the emergency beacon?

The whole thing pegs the BS meter right from the get go.

Experienced sailor couldn't put up the sail?
Year's worth of food and thought they'd be dead in 24 hours?
Multiple cargo ships ignored their distress signals?
20-30' sharks "attacking" the boat????

Nope

And, just recently, I believe I read that they had a functioning emergency beacon but did not use it. Why? They said their radios weren't working, their telephone wasn't working. Why the heck wouldn't you use the emergency beacon?

I saw the same on the news this morning. They claim that since they were floating and still had food, they weren't in true imminent danger and were saving the beacon for that. But apparently the sharks and storms weren't imminent danger? Weird for sure. There's also a report of their boat being seen in Tahiti, and the weather service says there's no report of a storm on or around May 30th when they supposedly lost their engine and sails. And they've already said they are going back out next Spring, so they clearly are not traumatized by the experience.

The whole thing pegs the BS meter right from the get go.

Experienced sailor couldn't put up the sail?
Year's worth of food and thought they'd be dead in 24 hours?
Multiple cargo ships ignored their distress signals?
20-30' sharks "attacking" the boat????

Nope

Sounds like a Lifetime Movie of the Week.

Oh, wait...

I saw the same on the news this morning. They claim that since they were floating and still had food, they weren't in true imminent danger and were saving the beacon for that. But apparently the sharks and storms weren't imminent danger? Weird for sure. There's also a report of their boat being seen in Tahiti, and the weather service says there's no report of a storm on or around May 30th when they supposedly lost their engine and sails. And they've already said they are going back out next Spring, so they clearly are not traumatized by the experience.

They also sailed on by several inhabited islands, with shipping ports to boot.

Maybe they need a new publicist? Somehow I have totally missed any news of this whatsoever.

I also thought I read that it was intended to be a three-week voyage and they apparently had 5 months plus another year of food available?

Of course, the passengers on the Minnow had a lot of clothes and stuff for just a 3-hour tour...

I also thought I read that it was intended to be a three-week voyage and they apparently had 5 months plus another year of food available?

Of course, the passengers on the Minnow had a lot of clothes and stuff for just a 3-hour tour...

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
It always bugged me when I watched that show!

Didn't seem right from the very beginning. The food for a year was a little odd, and then the ships that never saw the flares was odd. So when it came out today that they had an emergency beacon that they never tried to use? yep, I'm out - all signs point toward fakers to me.

I think during the first few episodes the castaways had very little. Then all of a sudden Amazon Prime started delivering a new evening dress every week to Ginger.

Or maybe all those oddball visitors (Beatles ripoff rock band, Russian cosmonauts, Zsa Zsa Gabor, etc.) brought plenty of supplies and left them behind.

Pulu si bagumba!!!

Last edited:
I'm fairly familiar with boats, I havnt read up on the story other than what I see in the news and it doesn't pass as credible. For most of the reasons already listed, the amount of food and supplies they claim to have had would require a lot of storage space, which on a boat is limited. They didn't appear sun burned or otherwise unhealthy, I go out for a day and I'm burned red. It'll come out later they either made up or embellished this whole story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter