• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you rather spend five days exploring

Done LA
3 1/2 hours from NY so done that many times
Yellowstone - MEH

If I wanted to commune with nature Grand Canyon is on my bucket list.

NY - been there several times as I live in the state, but I'd happily go back again, and again, and again.

{{cough, cough}} I wish I was in LA today, just so I could get some "fresh" air. We laugh about the smog there when we visit but I'm certain I've never seen it as bad as it is here at home right now due to all the forest fires burning in British Columbia. (Not my picture but one posted on a newsfeed an hour ago) :
cal081518-gya-4b.jpg

So if I'm exploring LA, does Anaheim count as LA? If so:

1. LA
2. Yellowstone
3. NY (if I have to)

I hate cities and I think they are cesspools of humanity. I have been to NYC for work and have no desire to return. No offense to anyone who lives there or is from there, but I'm a country girl at heart and I prefer to live someplace where I can't smell my neighbor's farts.

1. Los Angeles because I have been to New York many times and I've only taken a one day bus tour of Hollywood/LA, although I've been to Disneyland several times.

2. New York if I could spend the 5 days doing theater....

3. Yellowstone because nature/scenic wonders interest me the least. Glamping in deluxe lodges I would do...
I do like nature/scenic wonders. From afar. Bring tents or sleeping bags into it and I’m out. Deluxe lodges are definitely my speed.

I lived in North Hollywood for a year or two when I was a kid and have pretty much seen LA throughout my life. Probably haven’t even scratched the surface but, meh.

Have never been to Yellowstone. Three days would probably be my limit and only if it included that deluxe lodge mentioned above.

That leaves NY. Many of the reasons most people visit NY don’t push my buttons but I’d go just to say I went.

There are many other places in the US I’d choose to experience before any of the three mentioned though.

I would pick LA. I am really not a nature person and New York would be #2.

As for not feeling safe, I live in the 2nd most dangerous town in Indiana and they just found a dead body not far from my house last week. Almost all of the killings aren't random acts of violence. These are people killing each other over drugs and bad relationships. They just aren't killing random people in the streets.

Been to all three. But I could easily spend a month let alone five days in NY. The energy, the lights and sounds, Central Park, theater, restaurants, museums, etc. you need one day just for the Met.

I would pick LA. I am really not a nature person and New York would be #2.

As for not feeling safe, I live in the 2nd most dangerous town in Indiana and they just found a dead body not far from my house last week. Almost all of the killings aren't random acts of violence. These are people killing each other over drugs and bad relationships. They just aren't killing random people in the streets.
:sunny:...and there's nothing new under the sun. I live in a place that's practically crime-free compared to where you live, but yet the circumstances are exactly the same. There are about 20 or so homicides here every year (pop. 1.3 million) and almost all of them are domestic violence or gang-bangers going after each other. Rinse and repeat.

Random acts of senseless violence happen periodically everywhere, from nerve-gas in Asian subways to pedestrians being mowed down in iconic European tourist hot-spots, not to mention mass-shootings in the US and here at home. I guess anybody can be pushed to the point where they feel it's too risky to leave their comfort zones, but as far as it being a "reasonable response", I don't personally think so. Much of the discourse is simply rhetoric. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
Los Angeles. I'm going for 10 days in October. (Some of that time will be in San Diego).

New York-Been there many times already, but would still return for five days.

Yellowstone-Nope. A few hours of nature (or a day at most) is plenty.

We were in Yellowstone for 3 days last year. Not nearly enough time. We could easily have spent a week and we’re not big hikers. It was indescribable. I hope to get back some day.

That’s interesting. It’s the hiking that concerns me and I would have thought it would have been necessary to really enjoy Yellowstone. DH has had 3 knee surgeries in the last 15 months and I need an ankle “reconstruction”. We can both walk and could probably both do 4-5 miles, but we couldn’t do that more than a day or two in a row. We haven’t even done Disney in a few years and when talking about planning a future trip it worries me a bit.

Yellowstone is my all-time favorite destination BY FAR. So, this one isn’t even close.

Between the others, I guess NYC as I’ve already been to L.A. and really don’t need to go back.

That’s interesting. It’s the hiking that concerns me and I would have thought it would have been necessary to really enjoy Yellowstone. DH has had 3 knee surgeries in the last 15 months and I need an ankle “reconstruction”. We can both walk and could probably both do 4-5 miles, but we couldn’t do that more than a day or two in a row. We haven’t even done Disney in a few years and when talking about planning a future trip it worries me a bit.

Walking is necessary for many of the premier spots, hiking not so much (though that does open up much more of the back country, obviously). But, there’s SOOO much you can see from your car, or close to it.

The one place I really want to take my kids is Washington D.C. I keep saying I'm going to do it and then I book another cruise to somewhere. My kids have seen several European capitals and haven't seen their own. They're 14 and 16 and I need to get it done....hopefully next year.

Done LA
3 1/2 hours from NY so done that many times
Yellowstone - MEH

If I wanted to commune with nature Grand Canyon is on my bucket list.

Interestingly enough, I found the Grand Canyon to be kind of “meh” in comparison to not only Yellowstone, but much of AZ as well. It’s worth the trip, but unless you’re going down in it, it’s not a place one could occupy a lot of time.

Interestingly enough, I found the Grand Canyon to be kind of “meh” in comparison to not only Yellowstone, but much of AZ as well. It’s worth the trip, but unless you’re going down in it, it’s not a place one could occupy a lot of time.
This made me laugh. I live in Phoenix and I've never been to the Grand Canyon. I don't want to drive 4 hours to see a canyon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter