WVL stay....constructive crticism.......

coasterbob

Mouseketeer
We just returned from 7 nights at WVL, our 3rd DVC property stay, (BCV and SSR before). We had a great week, including getting to know Ranger Stan, a wonderful experience. We took his informative tour and got a chance to just chat about WL with him....

Now, the "constructive" criticism........... We were assigned room 5526, which the CSR said, had a "wonderful garden view." It turns out that since it was the top (5th) floor, the balcony is actually a cutout of the roof, thus the "view" while sitting there was just looking at wood!. We really enjoyed our balconies in the other 2 resorts (morning coffee, evening wine etc.), so this was a major disappointment. I did call to request a room change, but if they could change, (there were no rooms available for the 7 nights), it would be a $30 charge. So we wound up standing out there to see anything, and the "wonderful garden view" was actually looking at the bus stop thru the trees........ If we had known about these cutout balconies, we would have requested any floor but the 5th. Maybe this should be mentioned at check in that you get obstructed view balconies in that room?

It did NOT take away from a wonderful stay, and we'd do it again..........

Bob & Deb

Now I know who was around the corner from me! We were in 5532, a one bedroom, Sat thru Wed nights last week. We had the first full balcony. Our view from the living room balcony was of the 3 cutout balcony rooms and facing the bus stop. We really liked our room. We spent no time on the balcony though as we were usually in the parks most hours of the day.

Maybe this should be mentioned at check in that you get obstructed view balconies in that room?

Well, the problem is that the "system" we all live under is such that the resort should be at 100% occupancy every single night. In other words, SOMEONE needs to be in that room.

As I understand it, there are also rooms at VWL with a lovely view of...a trash dumpster...and at least one room with no balcony whatsoever. Poor planning on Disney's part. But can you really blame the CMs for not telling people when they get one of these rooms? They probably get an earful from a guest who didn't like the view every few days (or hours? :confused3 )

I doubt the CM was trying to mislead you. He/she probably knows how the views run in different areas of the facility, but I doubt there is much first hand recognition when you have 700+ rooms.

One tip for the future: Disney basically uses a call center to coordinate all resort communications. When you called down to the "front desk" you may well have been speaking with someone in another state who is trained to answer average guest questions. Next time stop by the front desk and ask about your options. They've been known to waive the room change fees at times, particularly if you return to the desk before you have even settled in. The purpose of the fee is to cover situations where the room has to be cleaned again. If you just walked in the door and immediately decided that you didn't like it, you could have returned to the front desk to see if there were any other alternatives. Perhaps the resort was not full that night and they had another room they could move you to.

When we stayed at the WL, we learned from an experience like yours to request a floor other than the top one because we didn't like that sort of balcony. Luckily I think the VWL/WL has other great relaxing and "seeing the view areas", so I wouldn't be as put out now as I was then. I know a lot more about the resort now.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Actually, none of the balconies at any of the DVC resorts are much once you've had an OKW balcony. When you have a group of 8 and the entire group can sit and stand out on the porch vs two or three standing side by side.....

I've never heard of a garden view at VWL. I thought they were all woods views.

That balcony sounds great to me! I had the same view of the busstop which didn't bother me, but when we were on the balcony, we felt like the balconies next to us were just too close...would have loved one walled off on each side for a little privacy. I think next time, I'll request the 5th floor and leave a room open for you!!:thumbsup2

That balcony sounds great to me! I had the same view of the busstop which didn't bother me, but when we were on the balcony, we felt like the balconies next to us were just too close...would have loved one walled off on each side for a little privacy. I think next time, I'll request the 5th floor and leave a room open for you!!:thumbsup2

sounds good to me......:goodvibes but remember not only were the sides walled off but the front as well............you could not sit on the balcony and see anything at all.....:rotfl2:

And I totally understand that is was the luck of the draw for us. I should have gone to the desk as well. No big deal really, just a disapointment was all

Bob

Actually, none of the balconies at any of the DVC resorts are much once you've had an OKW balcony. When you have a group of 8 and the entire group can sit and stand out on the porch vs two or three standing side by side.....

We just recently had a lovely garden view at VWL. Our first stay so I guess we lucked out!

The balconies at HH are very roomy. Room for a full sized picnic table and benches plus a couple of rocking chairs.

Shouldn't this be "Construction" criticism? :rolleyes:

There would be a very easy solution for this type of balcony. Instead of regular patio chairs, bar chairs. At home (not DVC home, lol), we have a small deck that has solid sides, not slatted, so if you are sitting in a regular height chair, you are looking at the wall. We recently moved here, so we have ordered a very reasonably priced pair of armed bar chairs and a bar table for our deck, and this will resolve the issue nicely.

It seems from the posts (I don't know...I've never stayed at VWL, but would like to one day) that there aren't a huge number of balconies that have this problem, so I doubt it would cost much to put taller chairs for those particular balconies. Just a thought.

YFI: just in case you ever stay at the Grand Floridian or the WL nonDVC section they too have dormer balconies.

And if you ever stay in one during a hurricane and your drain in the floor of your balcony stops up, you have your very own swimming pool. :rotfl:

There would be a very easy solution for this type of balcony. Instead of regular patio chairs, bar chairs.
While that seems like a reasonable solution, it may be dangerous. I'm just thinking about the chair-to-railing height differential. In order to see over the wall there may not be enough protection, especially if the kids are on the chairs and leaning on the rail.

You are correct that this doesn't affect too many rooms. An added benefit to the 5th floor rooms are the vaulted ceilings. :smokin:

MG

While that seems like a reasonable solution, it may be dangerous. I'm just thinking about the chair-to-railing height differential. In order to see over the wall there may not be enough protection, especially if the kids are on the chairs and leaning on the rail.

You are correct that this doesn't affect too many rooms. An added benefit to the 5th floor rooms are the vaulted ceilings. :smokin:

MG

I would trade a vaulted ceiling for a nice view of the woods/lake anyday....:thumbsup2 I started this thread not to be "picky" about our room, but we did choose WVL for that woodsy, casual atmosphere that makes it so unique. We don't have little ones anymore, so relaxing with a cup of coffee :coffee: / glass of wine on the balcony was something we couldn't completly enjoy this time. To others, a balcony means little, and that's fine as well.

Bob

It seems from the posts (I don't know...I've never stayed at VWL, but would like to one day) that there aren't a huge number of balconies that have this problem, so I doubt it would cost much to put taller chairs for those particular balconies. Just a thought.

You are correct, there are actually not very many of the rooms with the "closed balcony". As you can see from this picture, most of the top floor rooms have the open balcony and the few closed ones are circled. There are a similar number on the other side of the resort.

VWLClosedBalcony.jpg

coasterbob...sounds like you had one of those few balconies. We've had them before and it didn't bother us as much (we just leaned against the wall while drinking our coffee). But I can see where some folks wouldn't care for it. I'm glad that you still had a great trip! :)

Deb & Bill said:
That's a new one on me too. I've never heard of any view classification at VWL from the Disney staff. I know that we on the boards can ask for "quiet pool view" or "lake side view" but I've never heard Disney refer to any of these as view types. And Garden View is something I don't remember ever seeing...maybe something new? If so, I wonder if that refers to every view at VWL or if they have developed some new terminology for other rooms? :confused3

Thanks for the visual Granny. I was trying to find a pic of the non-lake side to see if it was different than the lake side.

InstImpres's VWL map there are only 2 dedicated 1 bedroom villas and 1 2bedroom lock-off on each side that would have this balcony. The living room of the lock-off has a open balcony, so that villa is not as affected by the closed balcony.

So in total there are 4 dedicated 1 bedroom villas and possibly 2 lock-off studios (if they are not used for the 2 bedroom lock-off) that only have access to the closed balcony situation.

I guess they can be added to the list of quirky DVC rooms..

We have stayed in that type of room and I couldn't wait to get back to OKW to enjoy my spacious balcony and enjoy my morning coffee with a good book before the kids woke up!!

On another note, we stayed at WL when they were building the villas. All we heard was construction all day!! Dh, being a builder just did not want to hear all this building while on vacation!! We explained to the front desk about the situation and requested a room change!!! Wow, we thought they were so accomodating because they said it was not a problem to change rooms so we moved!!! Needless to say..............we got the infamous dumpster view!!! LOL!! Dh said it was still better than listening to construction as he was on vacation!!!

In my opinion.............nothing compares to the balconies at OKW!!! Peaceful and serene!!! I remember the first time staying at BWV and I couldn't wait to have my morning coffee on the balcony in my pjs!!! Well, I planted my butt on the balcony, put my feet up, in my pjs mind you, and turned to the side and was greeted with a 'good morning' from my neighbor!!! UGH!! LOL!!

Thanks for the visual Granny. I was trying to find a pic of the non-lake side to see if it was different than the lake side.

InstImpres's VWL map there are only 2 dedicated 1 bedroom villas and 1 2bedroom lock-off on each side that would have this balcony. The living room of the lock-off has a open balcony, so that villa is not as affected by the closed balcony.

So in total there are 4 dedicated 1 bedroom villas and possibly 2 lock-off studios (if they are not used for the 2 bedroom lock-off) that only have access to the closed balcony situation.

I guess they can be added to the list of quirky DVC rooms..

Lisa, using the map above, can you point out which villa(s) are the "dumpster view"?

The rooms that are refered to as "dumpster view" are the dedicated studios x60 and X62 at the end of the building. The dedicated 2 bedroom next to them (x56) might also share that view. It would be my first choice ...or 10th, but I don't know if it is horrible.

I think SpicyCat had posted some pics of that view. If we had the old search function I would look it up.

OK. I couldn't help myself...
Thread on the VWL Dumpster View

I've had the dumpster view. It was our very first stay at VWL. We had the studio on the first floor, so no balcony just a patio. We still loved the Lodge but would have much rather had a different view.

{{sigh}}

Not sure how this thread got around to the dumpster view, but:

VWL---view-room-4562.jpg

On another note, we stayed at WL when they were building the villas. All we heard was construction all day!! Dh, being a builder just did not want to hear all this building while on vacation!! We explained to the front desk about the situation and requested a room change!!! Wow, we thought they were so accomodating because they said it was not a problem to change rooms so we moved!!! Needless to say..............we got the infamous dumpster view!!! LOL!! Dh said it was still better than listening to construction as he was on vacation!!!

rbuzzotta...I was confused when I read this, but then I figured out that you weren't talking about the VWL infamous dumpster view, but one at WL of another maintenance area? We stayed at WL during VWL construction too but were luck to be in the wing closer to the boat dock so we didn't hear it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter