*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

Mine is probably going to become a November trip. The whole situation is still so surreal right now.

November’s not a bad time to go at all. You can see some of the Xmas stuff without the crowds. My last day at BC, I got up to do RAC and rope drop Flight of Passage and saw them start to put up the gingerbread carousel. By the time I got back from AK for the Tragical Express it was all finished.

The only thing I disliked were the wild swings in temps. Layers are a necessity because it gets downright chilly in the early mornings and at night but hot during the day. I discovered I really don’t like being cold at Disney World, it feels weird lol.

I have back up trip for August planned but the more I think about the heat and humidity, I'm now leaning towards May 2021.

With the caveat that I handle heat and humidity better than most, you can do just fine if you plan well for it. My family trips were always in early August or spring break and I took a 6 day trip last August as my first solo run. Rope drop and afternoon break during the hottest part of the day is the only way to go. Back at your resort for pool/nap in AC is best but even a TS lunch indoors in the park can work if you insist on commando touring (which I don’t recommend at all that time of year, but if you insist). Stay hydrated, take it slow with frequent breaks. After Hours is a godsend because it gets you touring out of the heat.

The only thing that really sucks about August is if you stay at a resort that relies on boat transportation, you are at the mercy of the daily storms. I got to take the Disney Springs boat at POFQ all of twice because it was always down for lightning.

November’s not a bad time to go at all. You can see some of the Xmas stuff without the crowds. My last day at BC, I got up to do RAC and rope drop Flight of Passage and saw them start to put up the gingerbread carousel. By the time I got back from AK for the Tragical Express it was all finished.

The only thing I disliked were the wild swings in temps. Layers are a necessity because it gets downright chilly in the early mornings and at night but hot during the day. I discovered I really don’t like being cold at Disney World, it feels weird lol.

Yeah, we went the week after Thanksgiving in 2018 and I thought it was a great time to go. The temperature variations were definitely strange though - that's one reason we chose May this time, since I figured we wouldn't need to bring layers with us. We have some great pictures with Nick & Judy from Zootopia taken around 10:00 at night at the MVMCP and we're all in hats and gloves! I'm thinking earlier in November this time but obviously nothing about anything is normal right now so we'll see.

With the caveat that I handle heat and humidity better than most, you can do just fine if you plan well for it. My family trips were always in early August or spring break and I took a 6 day trip last August as my first solo run. Rope drop and afternoon break during the hottest part of the day is the only way to go. Back at your resort for pool/nap in AC is best but even a TS lunch indoors in the park can work if you insist on commando touring (which I don’t recommend at all that time of year, but if you insist). Stay hydrated, take it slow with frequent breaks. After Hours is a godsend because it gets you touring out of the heat.

The only thing that really sucks about August is if you stay at a resort that relies on boat transportation, you are at the mercy of the daily storms. I got to take the Disney Springs boat at POFQ all of twice because it was always down for lightning.
My husband and youngest do fine in heat and humidity. My older son and I do not. In fact when he was young he passed out at Sesame Place in line for the lazy river on a 90 degree day. That's what got me worried about August heat and humidity. Add to that we are definitely commando park goers. We rope drop and stay to the end pretty much every day (except maybe one half day in the middle of our trip). I do have TS booked for lunches most days figuring we'd need that break. This trip is so expensive though that I'd rather wait and enjoy it next May (I think) then go in August and be miserable...not ready to commit to that yet though. We will have a car so transportation at least won't be an issue...

southwest airlines will be reducing their flights by 20% from april to mid June in specific markets say they are still working on this process and will contact those customers who will be affected. I am worried as my ticket was rebooked from a previous flight and has an expiration date of May 20th, 2020! I’m pretty sure I’ll lose the entire amount.

Hi fellow May, now possibly Sept. peep. We too booked our backup trip for mid September. I was bummed at first about possibly not going in May, but I look on the bright side, i just booked my ADR’s, Big Thunder will be back!!, Rat ride will be open, maybe Space 220 will be open and we have never done MNSSHP so will pick that up (even though i will horribly miss my AH’s events and i will miss a last ride on Spaceship Earth)
Now I have until July to devise my fastpass plans. I am getting excited again!

I'm sorry I know it's the Ratatouille ride, but this made me laugh, from this moment on I'm only gonna call it Rat Ride :p .

And BTW-what a wonderful way to be positive-we all need that now!

southwest airlines will be reducing their flights by 20% from april to mid June in specific markets say they are still working on this process and will contact those customers who will be affected. I am worried as my ticket was rebooked from a previous flight and has an expiration date of May 20th, 2020! I’m pretty sure I’ll lose the entire amount.
I'd call them and say you're volunteering to give up your seat so they can hit their 20% capacity drop, but request that you'd like a never expiring credit so you can choose when you want to use it.

I have no idea if this would work, but if it's going to expire while everything is up in the air, it's worth a shot :)

We are going May 31st. I haven't cancelled yet. Don't like this uncertainty.
Same here. Our scheduled arrival date is May 30th and I'm not cancelling at all. I booked a refundable back-up trip for mid-July in case our currently scheduled trip is cancelled by Disney, though.

Ok, gang, I heard something on the radio this morning I wanted to share.

It was a story about a little girl that has been practicing and preparing for the last year for her piano recital, and now it's canceled. She is or course upset and devastated to be missing it because of all of her hard work and anticipation. Her mother explained to her that the sacrifice she is making now could be what makes a huge difference in the lives of people she will never meet. That because of this sacrifice, someone may not get sick or worse. That her sacrifice could be what helps another child share more Christmases or birthdays with a grandparent, it could be what gives another family a chance to make more memories.

If we have to cancel our May trip, this is going to be the silver lining I'm going to be thinking of.

I’m supposed to be checking in May 31st as well. Right now I am trying to stay positive. I’m hoping that we’ll get some great FP’s since things are so uncertain. If we have to rebook, I’m not sure what we’ll do. We already have a trip planned for Disneyland in October, but this was supposed to be for my daughters graduation and not include her brothers. September could be a good reschedule since she will be out if school, but then I’d be taking the two trips almost back to back.

So I had been "tentative" with our May trip since it's largely based on my daughter qualifying for Summit. Our gym had a few teams going but so far my daughters team had not qualified and they had 3 competitions left this year to earn a bid. Due to the closures, all cheer competitions have been cancelled or postponed for the time being, including Cheerleading Worlds/Summit/D2 Summit. There is talk of trying to hold it at a later date but logistically, I don't know how that would happen. We have gone to WDW for the past 3 years and being on the west coast, it's not a super easy trip to schedule. I'd love to reschedule for later this year but there isn't a good time to do it. I know there are bigger issues than cancelling a cheer competition and WDW trip but I feel this is a place where people would understand. Hopefully next year she will qualify and we can be enjoying our perfectly planned ADR and FP+ plans (after the competition of course) :P.

We are still not currently planning to cancel our 5/2 trip until Disney officially pulls the plug, but, as the flame on the candle that is my hope begins to flicker and fade, I have to be somewhat realistic, and have started to research new dates (more planning is also a coping strategy to help mitigate the impact that disrupting our long-standing, detailed plans will have on my atypical neurology - there have already been a few rough days).

Since it doesn't appear that Disney is refunding park tickets, we have to hope that Costco will let us move our entire reservation to a new date. Otherwise, we'll have to cancel our package, move the flights and the park tickets to the new date, and then re-book the hotel directly, which would be significantly more expensive than the Costco room rates.

Is anyone thinking about postponing by just a month or two? Our current dates are May 1-10, but I'm skeptical about if that will actually happen. Due to some other stuff going on July and later, the only option we have is sometime in June.

Is that far enough away to be safe?? I know no one really knows for sure.

Is anyone thinking about postponing by just a month or two? Our current dates are May 1-10, but I'm skeptical about if that will actually happen. Due to some other stuff going on July and later, the only option we have is sometime in June.

Is that far enough away to be safe?? I know no one really knows for sure.
We have the exact same dates! I don't know what to do either, and our AP's expire 5/10 (5/24/ with the extension?). Our Past Guest resort discount could be applied for stays through 6/30. No one knows anything for sure right now and I completely understand how torn you are over this.

We still haven’t cancelled May yet, 10-18. I heard Pete on a Disunplugged podcast yesterday remark on how Disney wasn’t discounting any rooms for May so people must not be cancelling so I checked the hotel availability for our dates and WOW, there is hardly any availability at all except for the values, the moderates and deluxes seem to only have the most expensive rooms left and for the Boardwalk it says there isn't a single room left. I guess people are shifting to May and hoping for the best. we will still go in May as long as they don't diminish our experience by reducing hours or leaving rides closed, if so, we are going in Sept.

I’m in the same boat. My trip is May 3-9. I’m not cancelling but starting to resign to the fact that the trip may not happen. Hoping still that I’m wrong. I have a couple backup dates in mind but nothing booked

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter