Your Guests Inviting "others" to come along too!

Timeshares tend to bring out the worst in family/friends. Many have the idea that it's free once you've bought in and act accordingly. There have been many similar sob stories over the years but the one that I always remember is the person who planned a WDW trip and invited A who invited B, etc. Eventually B uninvited the original planner.

Dean said:
Timeshares tend to bring out the worst in family/friends. Many have the idea that it's free once you've bought in and act accordingly. There have been many similar sob stories over the years but the one that I always remember is the person who planned a WDW trip and invited A who invited B, etc. Eventually B uninvited the original planner.

And as unbelievable as it is, and as much as I something think "all you need is a backbone" I think many of us know it isn't always that easy. Things change, things get misinterpreted, some people are more important to us than our DVC points or one vacation and we are willing to put up with the boorish behavior of our mother in law for the sake of our husband.

I do need to thank by proxy those of you who let others use your points. This summer we were lucky enough that friends of ours were told by friends of theirs "go use our beach house - it sits empty - bring some friends - there is plenty of room!" So we were lucky enough to use someone's beautiful home in Mexico - it was fantastic.

I think you handled it well. However, I must respectfully disagree with cruise-o-matic. As the parent of young children (who were younger not too long ago :goodvibes ) I don't think it is fair for you to have to have a baby with you on vacation. It will change the entire Kharma of your vacation and a child of that age is not so easy. I followed your saga of buying DVC, and know you worked hard for it. I don't think you should take a person who would be presumptive as to take a baby on vacation with 2 child-less guys who want to have some grown-up fun.

I am curious as to why so many people have trouble telling others they own DVC? Why would anyone expect that you have enough points to bring them along? When someone has spoken to me about going, I let them know that I don't have enough points "but I can put them in touch with someone who has enough to rent them to you." That seems to be the end of the story.

Most of my family and friends know I only have enough points to use for our family of 4 for the times we go away. They also know that when we are not using it, we will probably rent it or bank it for a future year.

I am just floored that so many people have a problem with others thinking they are entitled to a free trip. Are there really that many freeloaders in the world?

sorry to say but YES!!!!

most of the people who want to freeload on me have more money than I ever will.

Another update:

I asked my friend this morning if she was still planning to go with us in March and she said, "I can't go and not bring 'him' along." I replied, "oh ok, I understand, I'll call and have them take your name of the reservation."

I followed up by telling her that if they decide to go on their own, she needs to take her kids too and she agreed. She said they are already talking about getting something together for the summer.

Oh... good news from her dropping out... she has a free airline ticket that she said she'd give to me since she can't use it before it expires in May. Looks like all I might have to cover is AP's!

This IS good news...and free airfare in the bargain. One friend down and one more to go. You do, after all, have to work part of this trip and need rest, relaxation, and lots of fast passes!!!

Have a great time and remember...no good deed goes unpunished. Think twice before even thinking about inviting someone again. And then, if you make the wrong decision and are about to pick up the phone to call someone, kick it instead. :rotfl:

I invited a friend to go with me and my family, and the first thing out of her mouth was how her friend that I have never met lived 3 hours away and should come down and go to the parks with us. And now shes trying to get her brother and his friends to go too !

Call me crazy, but when someone's family invites you to go on their vacation with them, I think its insanely rude to try to get other people to tag along, especially when I've never met them!

I'm going to uninvite her....:mad:

I invited a friend to go with me and my family, and the first thing out of her mouth was how her friend that I have never met lived 3 hours away and should come down and go to the parks with us. And now shes trying to get her brother and his friends to go too !

Call me crazy, but when someone's family invites you to go on their vacation with them, I think its insanely rude to try to get other people to tag along, especially when I've never met them!

I'm going to uninvite her....:mad:

top quality phoenix like bump. How did you find this thread :confused:

Yeah, how did you find this thread? I try to find things from 3 days ago and the search does squat, this thread is 1 1/2 years old!

lol, i don't know. I didn't realize it was so old until after i posted. oh well. i needed a place to vent...;)

Regarding the BF's friend... I can not imagine accepting an invitation to accompany a male coworker and his GF on vacation and leaving my 9 month old baby and Dh behind!! Or even then suggesting that I go -- and stay with -- the coworker and leave my DH behind. That's crazy!

Just wanted to add congratulations for getting to go to WDW for 2 solid weeks. That would be awesome!

As for advice, I think everyone has covered what I would have said.

It's threads like this that make me glad I made the decision NOT to tell families and friends that I bought into DVC! ]

I was thinking the same thing! The family I was born into (to differentiate them from the family I made with DH) would have no problems inviting themselves on one of our trips, or even better, asking to use our DVC some time we "don't need it". I don't ever lie to my mother but I find myself "leaving out" certain details. She knows we are going down next month and I told her I am staying in a friend's timeshare - I won't be telling her that my dear friend is actually DH.

The sad thing is that we purchased over 500 points so that we could invite friends and family along but when we look at the dynamics of the personalities, it looks like we will be skipping a generation and inviting my nephew and nieces but not their parents, if we ever decide to tell people about DVC!

I invited my sister to stay a few days with us in a 2 bedroom at OKW a couple of years ago. So she shows up with a cousin of ours and his wife without any advance notice and says "I read you can have 8 in here so I figured I'd bring them along." :earseek: ***? I said that there would not be 8 and if they wanted to stay in WDW to call and book a room. They were stunned but called and got a studio at OKW and paid cash for it themselfs. No one takes advantage of me and my sister has not ever been invited again.

Wow, I think that is great! I can't imaginge bringing someone without even asking. But like with the druggie bf - I would just say no, that I didn't feel comfortable with that.

I hope it didn't hurt your relationship though with your sister.

We must be lucky - we actually ask people to go with us and as often as not they say no

Maybe we are not liked???

Not sure which is worse - attracting flies or repelling???

This seems to be our problem as well. I can't get my sister to come and can't get dh's parents to come. I had a 2BR last fall for 4 of us and couldn't give the studio portion away to anyone I knew. So, we spread ourselves out and got used to the space. Big uh oh. Now we have 2 BR's for 2 weeks booked for our upcoming trip and we're only planning to share it the first week. What happened to the days we were happy with a studio?? This is getting point-expensive.

I hope your situation works out. Definitely don't let people just walk in and walk over you on the way to the pullout sofa!:scared1:

Although friends and family know we own DVC, we have purposely been very vague about how it works re: point ownership. If we get pressured to explain, we suggest they find the information on the internet, since it would be too complicated to describe. :rolleyes1
Luckily, none of them are willing to put in the effort. :thumbsup2

Well, since this thread IS so old... I wonder whatever happened to the OP?!?! Are you still there?!.....:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter